speedometer gear question

BigPip

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I just finished installing a new transmission and now the speedometer is off a bit. I didn't change my original gear, It is all original - speedo says 50 actual it's somewhere between 41-43 mph. I have a 93 and the trans is supposedly out of a 98 mark viii. Any suggestions on what I need to get it right? Obviously a new speedo gear but I don't know which one but I currently have a green gear.

take the VSS and gear out of your old transmission and swap them.

was this a 98 LSC then?
but 8 mph at 50 is excessive for the 3.27/3.08 difference.

I think the problem is my factory trans was a 7 tooth and the new trans is an 8 tooth. So now I need to find what tooth was used for a factory mark with 8 tooth. Shouldn't be too hard to find...

I think the problem is my factory trans was a 7 tooth and the new trans is an 8 tooth. So now I need to find what tooth was used for a factory mark with 8 tooth. Shouldn't be too hard to find...

The math matches your guess.
Swap for a 20 tooth gear and you should be good to go.

every calculator I checked said the same, 18.6, so I opted for the tan 19 tooth. I was about to order it online which would have put me in for about $20 shipped. I took a chance and called Ford and I will have it tomorrow for a whopping $4.30.

Well, my 19 tooth was close but I am still off so I ordered the 20 tooth, I should have it tomorrow. Good thing these are only a few dollars from Ford!

Finally, I got the 20 tooth put it ad now we are in business. All numbers match perfect!

Members online

No members online now.
Back