speed limiter

**STS**

New LVC Member
Reaction score
If and what is the top speed limiter set at.
also, onstar was optional for this car,I don't have it. is this an easy add-on
Thank, Dave

I'm not sure if it has changed for newer cars, but GM used 115 mph for many years.

As far as I know the STS is electronicly limited at 155 for use in the US. The car will top out at like 168.

As far as OnStar goes, I'm not sure what components they leave out when you don't get it. Give a local dealer a call on that.

The speed limiter was set at the factory based on the original tire speed rating when new. Look at the label on the driver side door, which will provide the speed rating of the tires when new. If the rating is "S", then top speed will be about 110 mph. If the rating is "Z", then essentially there is no speed limiter. The speed limiter for the 93-95' models can removed by replacing the original chip with a performance chip.

http://www.domesticperformance.com/product_info.php?products_id=250

MAC1 said:
Look at the label on the driver side door, which will provide the speed rating of the tires when new. If the rating is "S", then top speed will be about 110 mph. If the rating is "Z", then essentially there is no speed limiter.

My SPD RTG says H H M vertically...any idea what that means?

Mine says "H" too. Someone forgot to tell the car beause I was busting 143 on the clock, and the car was screaming for more. The problem was that the driver's speed limiter pussed out. Yea! ima whimp! Maybe if I had thought to close the sunroof and roll up the windows, it may not have been such an intense ride. After all, there is a hell of a lot of windrush at that speed.

'03 Sts

P8120067.JPG

Members online

No members online now.
Back