Speaker suggestions

DunItRight

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about car stereo stuff but I need new speakers. Can anyone suggest a set of nice new speakers for my doors both front and rear?

I dont need all that award winning bass contest stuff. Just some great lasting quality that fits well and sounds good.

check www.crutchfield.com for reviews and opinions and then go find the best price :)

My friend's car audio site isn't up yet or I'd refer you there.

I like Polk speakers very much -- they have extraordinarily strong mid and high and good lows, but you can get a sub later and just turn down the bass.

I like Alpine, always have. I have 6.5" type R speakers in all the doors. I wish I would have put in a component set in the fronts though.

I would recommend you put an amp on any aftermarket speakers you might get. Unless you really don't care that much about your sound system, then I say go to small-mart and get the Sony x-plods. ;)

Why would I need an amp if Im not upgradeing it that mutch? All I want is the same size speakers, 6x8's all around.

Some people just really feel that, even with an aftermarket head unit, you need to get an amp for "ultimate" performance.

Unless you are a supreme audiophile, I don't think that you will notice much difference in most music that you will listen to if you just do a head unit with speakers.

If you are keeping the factory head unit, just including an amp is only going to amplify whatever poor job the factory head unit amplifier is doing, and then it won't matter what speakers you are getting.

If you only ever listen to the radio, it really doesn't matter what speakers you get. If you listen to a lot of bright/clear/light music (classical, country, non-rock pop, jazz, etc), you will want to be more concerned with the mids and highs so stuff like Polk and probably Quart will be your better bets. Again, reviews can help or just bury you.

For reference, I have a 95 Subaru wagon as a daily driver. I have a simple Sony head unit ($150) and front and rear Polk speakers along with a 10" sub in the trunk. For maybe $500 total investment I have a car that can play all types of music very well and can be very loud if I want it to.

If all you really want is just something "better," you could probably just go to Circuit City and have the road shop install whatever will fit that is on sale and be happy.

Car audio is one of those things where a million people have opinions and most of them are all more-or-less correct.

I like Alpine, always have. I have 6.5" type R speakers in all the doors. I wish I would have put in a component set in the fronts though.

I agree, I have 2 pair of Type X 6 1/2" components and a pair of Type X 5 1/4 components along with a 300/4 JL slash series amp, 2 12" Type Rs into hand built boxes based on Alpine specifications with a 1000/1 JL Slash series, and man, it pounds! JL is the best quality by far. And the components sound incredinly clear! I had this 5k set up in my 92 amigo :D now Im gonna put it into the LS I got 3 weeks ago!

But I strongly reccoment pioneer if u dont want like an ultimate system, they are very good sound quality capable n to me the best u can get out of ur buck.

I have 6x8/5x7 Infinity reference componnets in the front and 6x8/5x7 Infinity Kappas in the rear door. I like em.

Ok, I have a 2000 sport with the six disk in the glove box. How many speakers do I have and where are they?

I am guessing from what I have read, 1 6x8 in each door? Is there a center in the dash?

I was thinking of just going with the Pioneers. I was looking at some today and as long as you know some stereo stuff you know they are good for something like I want.

I was thinking of just going with the Pioneers. I was looking at some today and as long as you know some stereo stuff you know they are good for something like I want.

To me the way to go. I would consider pioneer premiers, they r pretty much the same but usually come with a longer warranty period and cost the same.

About amp, is up to u, I think a have a super small one great for what u want, it has 4 24w channels and is as big as a pc router. If u want it I'll give it to you, I have to find it though. I also have a kenwood KAC-746, I dont know about watts but its a 4 channel as well, its a regular size amp, I havent tested but if u want it, i'll shipp it to you, or I could ask a friend of mine to test it first. If u want any let me know, they r not top of the line but they'll add some loudness to ur ride plus they r free.

Ok, I have a 2000 sport with the six disk in the glove box. How many speakers do I have and where are they?

I am guessing from what I have read, 1 6x8 in each door? Is there a center in the dash?

If you have the center speakers you will see them on the sides of the center stack right by your knee. They're not necessary, so don't worry about trying to replace them. The center speakers may sound too loud after you replace the door speakers, if that happens just disconnect them.

Door speakers are 6x8, you can get adapter plates to mount 5.25 or 6.5 round speakers. Round speakers will have a little bit cleaner midrange, but you'll give up a little bit of bass response.

THANKS!

I dont have those centers so I guess I dont have any.

Maybe I will go out after work today and look around at Best Buy and some stereo shops/car audio shops for round ones.

Door speakers are 6x8, you can get adapter plates to mount 5.25 or 6.5 round speakers.

I have both 5.25 n 6.5s mid ranges to intall, which adapter plates will I need? Do they have to be 6x8 to 5.25/6.5 adapters or they have to be made specificaly for LSs?

Maybe I will go out after work today and look around at Best Buy and some stereo shops/car audio shops for round ones.

I would recommend www.sonicelectronix.com I bought all my stuff from them and they r trustfull and have great prices. Now whatever u wanna buy from them, when u contact them tell em u saw whichever speakers u want, cheapier on their ebay store than on their website and u'll get a better price. Ive found em at ebay but when I checked their website pices they where higher for the very same item, so thats what I told em and they said they can do the ebay price throught the phone too.

speaking of speakers, im thinking about replacing the rear subs with a pair of CDT's, but they have a 4 ohm impudence, does anyone know if that will hurt my amp/speakers or if it will sound crappy?

speaking of speakers, im thinking about replacing the rear subs with a pair of CDT's, but they have a 4 ohm impudence, does anyone know if that will hurt my amp/speakers or if it will sound crappy?

What are CDT's? it shouldnt hurt anything if u run ur amp at 4 ohms, and as far as I know the speakers has nothing to do with em as they usually wont be conected to the same amp. About sound quality, no idea!:p

Most fords take 6x8, adapter plate does not need to be specific for LS. Best Buy, Circuit City, or any custom audio shop will have them.

Factory rear subs are 2 ohm, so you won't hurt the amp, but you'll cut the power in half. If you are replacing the factory subs, you will want to replace the factory amp.

What are CDT's? it shouldnt hurt anything if u run ur amp at 4 ohms, and as far as I know the speakers has nothing to do with em as they usually wont be conected to the same amp. About sound quality, no idea!:p

Sorry, my post was a little vague, it talking about the rear 6x9's that sit in the shelf behind the rear seats. The factory amp runs at 2 ohms and these speakers are 4 ohms.

http://www.cdtaudio.com/6x9_series.htm

the cl-69's

oh then, MDavis0424 is right, it wont hurt the amp but the power output will be less than if ud b runing it at 2ohms, the lower the ohms the more power output u get from them amp, however the lower ohms the more strees u put on the amp.

also, i could wire them in parallel,
ie. 4 ohms plus 4 ohms wired in parallel equals 2 ohms.
1/4 + 1/4 = 1/x x=2

i know this can work in theorey, but ive never done it with speakers, has anyone done this? and how would i do it?

cdt metioned are cool

figure out if you want componenets or coaxils. look them up to what they are.
~Cant go wrong with pioneer revs for value and perfomance.
Now if you want hi end

RAINBOW...

also, i could wire them in parallel,
ie. 4 ohms plus 4 ohms wired in parallel equals 2 ohms.
1/4 + 1/4 = 1/x x=2

i know this can work in theorey, but ive never done it with speakers, has anyone done this? and how would i do it?

Wiring two 4-ohm speakers in parallel does give you 2-ohm impedance, but it won't work in this case since you can't bridge the factory amplifer.

To really make the CDT's work, you're going to need to upgrade the amp too. It's not going to hurt the factory amp to hook the CDT's up, so you can buy the speakers now and put the amp in later. Just don't be disappointed if you actually end up with a little bit less total bass volume until you get the amp, but what you do get should be a lot tighter.

thanks alot!!! the tighter midbass is exactly what i want, i have a 12" alpine that covers the deep bass really well, but midbass is really lacking. You answered all my questions exactly. Thanks again.

Any recommendations on a small amp?

thanks alot!!! the tighter midbass is exactly what i want, i have a 12" alpine that covers the deep bass really well, but midbass is really lacking. You answered all my questions exactly. Thanks again.

Any recommendations on a small amp?

It depends on what ur looking for and how much ur willing to spend. I have a JL Audio 300/4 and I strongly recomend it! the sound quality of JL is the best no doubt. They r not the loudest, but the quality is top of the line!

OK, I didn't realize you had a separate sub, I thought you were just replacing the 6x9s in an otherwise stock system. In the factory system, the 6x9s only get very low bass signal, your midbass has to come from the door speakers. The only reason to keep the 6x9s is if you want to conserve trunk space, since you already have a sub in the trunk just get rid of them. If the midbass is weak you need to add power to the door speakers to match the output you are getting from the sub.

Members online

Back