Speaker Problem

L_King

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
SO I got in my car today (01 LS v8) and the only speakers putting out sound were the small speakers in the center console. No sound form the door speakers. I checked the settings on my headunit (pioneer 7in in-dash.) any ideas on what could cause this?

-Lee

So I just got off work and when I first fired up the car all speakers worked, but a mom or 2 later it was back to just the 2 in the center console. I'm confused to be honest

with most pioneer decks, if there is a short in the wiring, the radio will shut off its internal amp and go into protect mode until it is turned off then back on, a bad or blown speaker can also do this! the center console speakers have there own amp so they would stay on.

the easiest way to begine to track down the problem, is to use a DMM and test for continuity to ground on all eight speaker wires (two for each speaker) once you fine which wire or wires have a low resistance to ground, you found the channel that is effecting it, while you cant rule out the wiring going bad, a speaker failing is far more likely.

So if I had a bad connection on one speaker or one was blown in one of the doors it would cause all the door speakers not to work?

I did just replace the in inner door "skin or plate" because the inside door handle broke so maybe a loose connection there?

I also forgot to say I had a power inverter hooked up to the rear outlet for a couple days if that could matter..

So if I had a bad connection on one speaker or one was blown in one of the doors it would cause all the door speakers not to work?
with most pioneer's, Yes. not necessarily a bad connection, but something grounding out.

I did just replace the in inner door "skin or plate" because the inside door handle broke so maybe a loose connection there?
especially if the speaker wires are pinched somewhere.

I also forgot to say I had a power inverter hooked up to the rear outlet for a couple days if that could matter..

shouldn't make any difference

Thanks for the insight. I'll pop of the door panel and check my wiring.

Ok this is a pain. I pulled the door panel and checked all the connections and wires, but I didn't see anything to be concerned about.

When I turn the car on u can hear a "pop" sound from the speaker but none of the door speakers work.

I did pilull the speaker and drive it to run an errand, and for a nib the speakers worked but then cut out even with the speaker pulled, so ya I don't know...

well then its time to test the rest of the speakers, i would recommend doing this at the radio so any problems with the wiring will also show up, you should use a meter and test for continuity to ground on every speaker wire with the harness unplugged from the radio, it could be any one of the speakers, then if none of the wires shows a short, then test the resistance on each pair of speakers, if one of the either shows a silly low number or an open circuit, then that would be your problem speaker.

i guess it is possible for the radio to be defective as well and just going into protect mode with out reason (very un-common), but you could hook the radio up out side of the car and just hook one speaker up at a time to test the functionality of the radio to make sure.

Tested it today and the passenger front door speaker seems to be the culprit. Any suggestions on replacements for the front speakers? They are 6x8 right?

Tested it today and the passenger front door speaker seems to be the culprit. Any suggestions on replacements for the front speakers? They are 6x8 right?

New speakers did NOT fix the problem, so now its on to finding the problem wire...

Mine had the same problem when i bought it. Just bought a new head unit on eBay and haven't had a problem since.

well at this point, you could spend hours looking for a short in the wire (and still may never find it)

i would just spend 30 mins and run a new speaker wire into the door, no breaks or anything, just one continuous strand from the radio, behind the glove box, through the door boot and to the speaker. it makes it much easier to fish wires through the door boot if you can get a hold of an old school antenna to help.

a good way to make sure that it is the passenger speaker and not the radio, is to unhook it behind the radio for a couple of days and see if it cuts out at all

Thanks for the input 1LoudLS. illl try that all out for sure

New speakers did not fix it, really unsuall problem so I just rewired the driver door (PITA) and that fixed it

Members online

No members online now.
Back