Speaker install

rkingtxtx

LVC Member
Reaction score
My 1994 T/C speakers (4) are toast. It really is annoying since I spend about 2 hours a day in the car.

I looked around online for some help but have not had much success.

Anyone know shortcuts to speed the project up or do you recommend professionals?
:waving:

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
rkingtxtx said:
My 1994 T/C speakers (4) are toast. It really is annoying since I spend about 2 hours a day in the car.

Anyone know shortcuts to speed the project up or do you recommend professionals?

Thanks for any help!

You can do it yourself, but it all depends on what kind of money you want to spend. With that in mind, you can choose from the following type of speakers:

Front Door (factory size 6x8)
Any 6x8 or 5x7 will fit, but with an adapter you can get 6x9, and either 5.25 or 6.5 (5.25 and 6.5 are round speakers) with lil to no work involved. Lil work would be the 6.5 speakers (you MAY have to cut some of the door to get them to fit and an adapter ring). I would go with a round (5.25, 6.5) speaker over an oval speaker (5x7, 6x8, 6x9) for sound quality.

Rear Deck (factory size 6x9)
Now, with the rear deck, you can get away with the 6x9's (oval) because they are only being used as rear fill.

Again it all depends on what you plan on spending. You can go REAL cheap (radio shack, jensen....and the likes), or you can go real expensive. It all depends on what level you want, and what you want to spend. Now one thing you need to be aware of is that any aftermarket speaker will most likely not 'sound' as loud as the factory speakers sounded. The reason for this is that they (the speakers) are designed to work with the factory head unit, and vice versa. Now, that is not to say that they will not sound better (clearer), because they usually do, but they will not seem as loud (unless you already have an aftermarket radio in it....then you are set). There are several online sites that I use to purchase stereo equipment, and their prices rarely can be beat at a local stereo shop or even Best Buy and such.

I would recommend either a 5.25 or a 6.5 inch speaker for the front door (with an adapter ring for the 5.25, and for the 6.5) and I would go with whatever you like for the rear.....like I said it is only rear fill, so sound quality is not a major deal for your application.

Here are some of the sites that I use....and I have ordered from each and everyone of them.....

CBR Stereo
Infinite Car Audio
the Zeb
SBH Corporation

Hope that helps.

I'm new to LvC but I think this might help you out. It's listed in the LvC Tech Forum:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/lincoln-town-car/Gen1-Lincoln-Town-Car-Radio/index.htm

Good luck!

rkingtxtx said:

Thanks for any help!

Guys,

Thanks for your help. It does not look that difficult. I need some relief.

The best shortcut i can think of is speaker harnesses.

Pepsi2185 said:
The best shortcut i can think of is speaker harnesses.
I pulled the speakers out and found that I had a blown sub, which is mounted up under the rear deck.

The other 4 speakers are working fine. Know of a place that sells factory subs? :Bang

Pepsi2185 said:
you gotta get the factory speaker re-coned.

Thanks. I found this place called the Speaker Exchange located in FL. Their number is 813-237-4800. They will repair the speaker and ship it back for about $50 big ones.
I also found this other outfit that will sell you a sub that will fit for $40. The catch, he is located in BFE and does not take cc's. I need to send a check and then he will send the product. His number is 713-862-2747.

Hope this helps others in a bind... I am running with FL. :wrench

I was thinking of changing my factory rear speakers sometime soon... Keep us posted on what parts one needs to buy in order to do the exchange.. If there is a special harness one needs to purchase etc...

92 Arizona Towncar said:
I was thinking of changing my factory rear speakers sometime soon... Keep us posted on what parts one needs to buy in order to do the exchange.. If there is a special harness one needs to purchase etc...

This weekend I pulled the woofer out and went to Circuit City to hunt down a fit. They pointed me to Tweeter. They sold me a 6 inch that was the same height and hole configuration, so no drilling required!!!!! I had it back in the auto in minutes.

Note: There is a speaker screen that is not needed any longer. Sits on the top of the old speaker.

It sounds awsome!!!!!!!! well for stock it does.... :Beer

Can anyone tell me where i can find factory speaker replacement for a 1999 lincoln town car cartier? i assume its 5x7 up front and 6x9 in the rear and some sort of woofer? i would like to replace all the speakers with pioneer (or maybe even alpine as thats it what the head unit is) and even the sub with one that is more bass responsive. i just would like to know what to but b4 i start taking stuff out! any suggestions? and if there were a tech tip on replacing factory sepakers that would help but the tech help here stops at 1997 models.

Members online

Back