sounds like bad tire but not

okie6801

LVC Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 02 ls-v8 after wife totaled our old one. it has a few issues. one is it sounds like it has a bad tire on the rear. thump thump thump. the faster u go the faster it gets. after rotation and new tires I've ruled out the bad tire theory. any ideas?

Balancing the tire wouldnt matter if the tire itself is bad. All youd be doing is balancing an off balanced tire. Sounds dumb but check the tire for high spots or low spots. So in theory, balancing would just be compensating for the high/low spot. But you would still get the vibration from the warped rubber

Balancing the tire wouldnt matter if the tire itself is bad. All youd be doing is balancing an off balanced tire. Sounds dumb but check the tire for high spots or low spots. So in theory, balancing would just be compensating for the high/low spot. But you would still get the vibration from the warped rubber

I'm confused. I didn't see any mention of tire balancing. I thought he said that he rotated the tires (thump should have moved to the front of the car if it was a tire), and then replaced the tires. If so, he has ruled out a bad tire as the cause.

I replaced tires

Sound travels funny. It may sound like the rear but be the front so don't rule out that the problem might be up front. How is the ride? I've never driven a car with bad shocks so I can't say how the ride or handling would be, but as low as the LS sits, and the way I've seen tires on cars with bad shocks bounce, I could see a bad shock letting a tire bounce off the inside of the wheel well making a noise like that. To check the shocks, you push down hard on a corner, and the car should go down, come up once, then settle. If it goes up and down more than once after you let off, that shock is bad.

This should have been found when the tires were changed, but a prank people sometimes pull is to take a large zip tie and tie it to the driveshaft. When you drive, the end of the zip tie will slap the bottom of the car, convincing people that they have a problem. It too will change according to vehicle speed and not RPM.

thanks guys. I replaced the left rear knuckle and it hushed the noise to a minimum. I also had severe negative camber there and it straightened that out also. now I plan on replacing both bearings and go from there.
thanks for the replys

Members online

No members online now.
Back