Sound system upgrade dilemma ...

My friend was telling me about a '1 wire alternator' which I guess bypasses the ecu/PCM?

My guess would be someone has already tried such or knows why such wouldn't work?

My uneducated guess would be 'if' there was a compatible HO 1 wire alternator, I would probably get a check charging system message? In turfn causing a CEL light? Would this actually harm anything?

And I'm not set on JL's .. In fact I might talk with ToiletDick and his Skar Audio deals. :)

Thanks again

I imagine you could overcharge the battery. And then...................

KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

On my 1982 GT i used a one wire 130 Amp 3G from www.pa-performance.com it had no problems.
At idle it was putting out 13.6V, it made a difference in how bright the lights were, and even how the motor ran. It never overcharged the battery with its internal regulator.
I never measured the Amp output but they claim (and this is the Mustang 3G) 80 amps at idle (2000 alternator shaft rpm) 160 amps maximum (6000 alternator shaft rpm).
I think they even offered a 200Amp for the mustang.

I checked there site, and no off the shelf Alt is offered for the LS, but im sure they can build you one.

On my 1982 GT i used a one wire 130 Amp 3G from www.pa-performance.com it had no problems.
At idle it was putting out 13.6V, it made a difference in how bright the lights were, and even how the motor ran. It never overcharged the battery with its internal regulator.
I never measured the Amp output but they claim (and this is the Mustang 3G) 80 amps at idle (2000 alternator shaft rpm) 160 amps maximum (6000 alternator shaft rpm).
I think they even offered a 200Amp for the mustang.

I checked there site, and no off the shelf Alt is offered for the LS, but im sure they can build you one.

Things are a just a wee bit different then they were in '82. Later (as in my son's '87, a friend's '89 and others' about which I read) Mustangs had issues with the alternators catching fire. My son's did it when he was driving and my friend's did it in the garage, while it wasn't running. He heard it arching and when he opened the hood the alt started burning.

The LSes electrical system is as different from ANYTHING in '82 as your pocket calculator is from the first computer that got us to the moon.

I'm just a little curious as to how many extremely sensitive computers were in that 82 pony...

Things are a just a wee bit different then they were in '82. Later (as in my son's '87, a friend's '89 and others' about which I read) Mustangs had issues with the alternators catching fire. My son's did it when he was driving and my friend's did it in the garage, while it wasn't running. He heard it arching and when he opened the hood the alt started burning.

The LSes electrical system is as different from ANYTHING in '82 as your pocket calculator is from the first computer that got us to the moon.

Yeah the 4eyed Mustangs were especially weak in the Alt area, but most mustang fires were caused by faulty ignition switches, I have been into mustangs (specifically the Fox Chassis) since i was little and i never heard of an alternator causing a fire while the mustang wasnt running, i have heard of ignition switches starting a parked mustang on fire. (not saying it didnt happen, just never heard that before)
My point in being was that the Alt, can only put out as much as the regulator lets it, the battery would not go Kaboom.

I'm just a little curious as to how many extremely sensitive computers were in that 82 pony...
That Alternator in my 82 GT was a 3G so it was out of computer sensitive vehicles, 3G's were one of thee most stable Alternators ford ever built. 3G's were used used in mod motor Mustangs, and a ton of other vehicles even electrically sensitive lincolns
Jaguar was never known for its electrical stability.

I love your sig BTW

Members online

No members online now.
Back