Sound Problems 86 MarkVII

Jo88

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, i just put a stereo in my cousin's Mark VII. It gets power but no sound is coming out. I know the stereo isn't the problem because i put it in mine and it worked fine. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?

are you trying to run the speakers through the factory amp, or did you bypass it?

Jibit said:
are you trying to run the speakers through the factory amp, or did you bypass it?
I'm guessing i didn't because i just got a wiring kit from walmart and attached it to the new stereo. Can you tell me how to bypass it??

Jo88 said:
I'm guessing i didn't because i just got a wiring kit from walmart and attached it to the new stereo. Can you tell me how to bypass it??

There's a wiring harness you use that connects to the amps wires to bypass it......or you could just run new wires throughout the car

My cousin's car isnt worth running new wires trust me.. ill look into this new wiring harness thank you

NP, I got my stuff from Crutchfield when I did my install. I'm not sure how the setup is on that year MarkVII (mine is a '91) but mine had low level inputs going to an amp, I would think you would still have sound but it would be distorted because of the high output of an aftermarket head unit.

I bought a Kenwood deck from ebay, I took it to my local car stereo installer, he gave me 2 prices for installation. $75.00 if there was no factory amp, and $150.00 if there was a factory amp. The second price was more because if it has the factory amp it would need to be bypassed and run new wire, plus 1 1/2 hours extra labor. He said he would know as soon as he took the old stereo out by looking at the back of it. So evidently some lincolns have it some don't.

Well there is no distortion because there is absolutely NO sound. With the ground i hear a bit of static over them but that is it. I really don't wanna rewire the whole thing if i can help it, but if i have to i guess ill just have to.

this is what I had to use

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-smfHZ8kNZwe/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=103000&id=morephotos&pi=2&i=120705004&display=XL#Tab

its the harness on the far left that bypasses the amp

The odd thing is I checked your year and the harness you posted is listed as compatible with the car. I'd have to actually see the car to determine what is going on. I would call crutchfield and talk with them. First go in your trunk and remove the lining under the rear deck and see if you actually have an amp.

well its universal, so that might not be used for the system in the Mark VII. i appreciate all the help everyone

Had the same problem with an 82

Jo88 said:
Ok, i just put a stereo in my cousin's Mark VII. It gets power but no sound is coming out. I know the stereo isn't the problem because i put it in mine and it worked fine. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?

We pulled out the fuse..Put it back in and it worked ...Hope this helps worth a try.....
Dearabby

Ok, so now i know what i got, i got me a stock amp in back between the deck speakers, isnt there just a way to cut off the wires going int and out and connect them bypassing the amp??

also, if i knew which fuse to take out i would try it..

Jo88 said:
Ok, so now i know what i got, i got me a stock amp in back between the deck speakers, isnt there just a way to cut off the wires going int and out and connect them bypassing the amp??

also, if i knew which fuse to take out i would try it..
Trial and error will show you which fuse it is and I STONGLY SUGGEST that you don't cut ANY wires in your (Cousin's) Mark VII.

also jitbit, the crutchfield link you gave me, it said that harness wont work with a mark VII

best buy has harnesses

i put a jvc head unit into my 88 m7 lsc

i went to the installation shop in the bestbuy and they had two harnesses

one for the head unit(new radio unit) to the dash harness plug

the other bypassed the amp in the trunk .....

i didnt cut any wires or make splices

was verry happy .... all 4 spkrs came one ........hope this helps

There are 3 harness adapters available at crutchfield for stereo installation.
One is for the back of the new stereo, another for an amp bypass, and the third is an amp integration.
The integration unit has knobs that allow you to turn down amplification to taste so you don't blow up speakers.

1986 Lincolns have a common ground stereo, meaning that its wiring is not compatible with today's aftermarket equipment. 1988+ cars do not have common ground. The common ground system runs at 6 ohms. Aftermarket stuff runs at 4. You need to have the resistance match if you want your new toys to last any amount of time.

To install a head unit properly, you should really get an adapter harness that allows you to connect the new head unit to the factory harness. The speaker wire harness adapter can then be used to connect the factory harness to a PAC OEM II common ground adapter or equivalent. This will allow you to have a new head unit and keep your existing amp and speakers. So, you will need to buy 2 harnesses.

The other option is to not use the PAC OEM II and run wires to each of the speaker locations. You must do this if you plan on using aftermarket speakers or an aftermarket amplifier. Speaker wire can be run into the doors. It's not easy, but it's not impossibly difficult. Fish tape is required.

If you are not getting any sound, you may not have the amplifier remote wire hooked up, but make sure you have the system wired up so that it matches either of the descriptions above. In Pioneers, I believe the wire is solid blue. In Alpines, the wire is blue with a white stripe. Because your car has an antenna switch, do not hook up the antenna turn on lead. If you have any problems or questions, e-mail me and I can walk you through it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back