Sometimes no start?

91lincTownEx

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok sometimes my 1991 TC doesnt start. Ok it makes a clicking noise like it is trying to start all the lights interior wise come on and dont dim at all. But then other times it will just start up. So i dont know. A couple of my friends have said something about it may be my "tumbler thing?" How hard would it be to replace one, if it is that at all. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

91lincTownEx said:
Ok sometimes my 1991 TC doesnt start. Ok it makes a clicking noise like it is trying to start all the lights interior wise come on and dont dim at all. But then other times it will just start up. So i dont know. A couple of my friends have said something about it may be my "tumbler thing?" How hard would it be to replace one, if it is that at all. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like a starter problem. If it is just making a click click click noise sometimes and others it just starts right up it probably is a bad starter.

Follow your positive battery cable to the solenoid. If thats what's ticking, then it probably needs replaced. First make sure the 2 bigger wires attached to it are clean and tight. Make sure your battery cable is clean and tight. If you go to start it and it clicks, you can turn on the ignition and take a screwdriver and "jump" the two larger terminals on the solenoid. If it starts, the solenoid is bad. It's very straight forward to replace. Just make sure the wires go back on in the right places and unhook the battery first.

It'll look something like this:

SOLENOID1.jpg

BTW, jumping the solenoid is also a good solution to being stuck somewhere with a car that won't start...If the solenoid is the problem. It's a very common thing. I drove an F-350 that I started with a screwdriver for a week.

Ya thats what my friend had to do to start it once. So i guess thats it. Ill just replace it. Thanks a lot guys!

Update:

Ok I replaced the starter soleniod and it still doesnt start sometimes. And when it does it has to try hard to turn over and still idles rough and when I come up to stopsigns all my lights interior and headlights all dim. But then when I accelorate(sp) they all bright back up. But now sometimes they dont even do that. So I dont know and last night i wouldnt start up at all. Then 2 hours later lit up like normal. And when I did start it I turned it off and went back in. Then not 30 minutes later it was having to try hard to turn over again. Its really pissing me off. I dont know what it is. :Bang

My "check engine light" is coming on but im pretty sure its because of my EGR valve thing I need to do that. But that shouldnt cause the electrical problem should it? Maybe the rough idling but not the electrical. I dont know. Thanks though for your help.

How old is your battery???

If it is past five its time to go. Sounds like your battery is probably going low voltage. That would explain the dimming lights and the lack of charging and low voltage at idle. YOur alternator is being run to hard at idle. You alternator could also be in rough shape, but one thing at a time here. If you have an autozone or a murrays by you, take the alternator and battery in for testing, they will test for free. They may deem them both to be in working order, but batteries have a certain threshold and remember you lincoln pulls a lot of juice. My money is on the battery.

Ya I forgot to say that, I have taken them both to Autozone and they both were good. Do you think I should get a new battery and see? I dont know how old the battery is though.

Clean the connections on everything first. Sounds like a low voltage condition, possibly from a bad cable or dirty ground.

Members online

No members online now.
Back