Some painting questions

The ls ss

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I was going to ask this on the detailing forum, but there has not been any activity there for a long while. So I need to do some painting of a rear plate surround, and a bumper, as well as hopefully touch up some scratches in the paint on the door and hood. How should I paint it? I want to stay away from body shops to save the money. How should I go about doing this. As I do not have a ventilated area that is warm enough, it will be a little while before I actually get to it, but I want to get a plan in place. Do you guys have any suggestions on fixing this? The hope is to get it looking nice by the summer.

Last edited:
I was going to ask this on the detailing forum, but there has not been any activity there for a long while. So I need to do some painting of a rear plate surround, and a bumper, as well as hopefully touch up some scratches in the paint on the door and hood. How should I paint it? I want to stay away from body shops to save the money. How should I go about doing this. As I do not have a ventilated area that is warm enough, it will be a little while before I actually get to it, but I want to get a plan in place. Do you guys have any suggestions on fixing this? The hope is to get it looking nice by the summer.

Edit- also, any reviews on detailed image? I plan to order from them and would like some advice.
YouTube ...Tons of videos on painting a car at home for beginners...

Edit- also, any reviews on detailed image? I plan to order from them and would like some advice.
A video that helped me out when I had to remove rust was a YouTube video by Chris fix ...the guy has some amazing DIY videos and he is very thorough

I skimmed through that video, I should go watch it through. Do you have any ideas for touching up these spots and for removing the rust? Can I sand the rust, wash it, then paint over it. I assume for the touch up jobs, I should buy a color matched little bottle with the brush? Here are some pics of the stuff I wanna get rid of.
20200216_125741.jpg
20200216_125730.jpg
20200216_125722.jpg
I plan on buying a porter cable 7424, can I use a compound to clean this up? I have not dealt with buffers before, so I am guessing on what they are capable of.

I skimmed through that video, I should go watch it through. Do you have any ideas for touching up these spots and for removing the rust? Can I sand the rust, wash it, then paint over it. I assume for the touch up jobs, I should buy a color matched little bottle with the brush? Here are some pics of the stuff I wanna get rid of.View attachment 828573623 View attachment 828573624 View attachment 828573625I plan on buying a porter cable 7424, can I use a compound to clean this up? I have not dealt with buffers before, so I am guessing on what they are capable of.
The first picture you posted I can see clearly ...the other pictures are kinda deceptive ...it looks like the rust has made it all the way through...this means you will have to sand it out the best you can ...try to get it all out ...if not it will just rear it's ugly head again...then I suggest you use some sort of body filler ...I use Bondo brand filler ...I would suggest to wait until the weather warms up to do this...this is not the right temps to do body work or painting

youtube - Sweet Project Cars - Best and quickest way to fix those scratches and pits. This youtuber has some great tips, i've tried them and they work wonderfully.

Ok, so I am planning on doing a detail of my car. Never done it before. Bought a pc 7424 that I plan to use to remove the clear coat scratches. Now this car does not look like it has had a detail in a long time ( would not be surprised if it never had a detail in its 18 years- tons of scratches)
Here is the plan, wash, dry, medium clay bar, fine clay bar,( do I need to do both claybars if it is very dirty?) wash, dry, hit it with meguires m205, then 105 to remove scratches, then coat with a meguires nxt 2.0 wax.
Is there anything else I should do? Is polishing the whole car gonna remove too much clear coat? Never done this before, but wanna learn and have a white car to practice on. ( my Ls is black)
Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
All the above items, Go slow, Patience, the slower you go the better the results. Self criticizing you work is the hardest part of the work that you will be doing.
Best Wishes!

Members online

Back