Soldering RCA plugs into factory subwoofer lines

theophile

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm in the planning stages of installing a sub and amp in the trunk and my overriding concern is the ability to return to stock configuration without having to cut and solder. I also am toying with the possibility of retaining the full-rage 6x9s I put in the rear deck and sending them the line-level rear (i.e. not subwoofer) signal through the stock sub amp, the idea being they would serve as something of rear "imaging" speakers. (Read: moar speekarz!!).

I have the rear amp diagram that shows that the factory 2-channel amp has separate inputs for left and right channels. What I'm thinking of doing is cutting the 4 wires in this harness that are the line inputs (+ and - Left/+ and - Right) and soldering female RCA plugs onto the amp side and male RCA plugs onto the head-unit side. That way, when these plugs are connected, the factory configuration is maintained, but when unplugged, the factory subwoofer-signal wiring can be plugged directly into an aftermarket sub amp, and the stock rear amp can be fed a full-range signal from an aftermarket head unit.

Has anyone tried this or something like it? Any thoughts or impressions on whether it would work as I have described?

...I have the rear amp diagram that shows that the factory 2-channel amp has separate inputs for left and right channels. ...

Here we go again...
Look at that diagram again. The factory sub amp is mono input only. There's only a mono signal running to it, and it only has a single channel, differential input.

Here we go again...
Look at that diagram again. The factory sub amp is mono input only. There's only a mono signal running to it, and it only has a single channel, differential input.

Brain fart. I looked at it too quickly and saw the separate wiring for "Subwoofer, left, Audio signal" and "Subwoofer, right, Audio signal" but overlooked the fact that those are in the output harness.

Sorry for the interruption. Please carry on.

Members online

Back