so what can we do to lighten the nose?

A good way of looking at it is lifting a 40 pound weight off the ground keeping it close to your body, yeah its pretty heavy, but then try it again but putting that 40 pound weight at the end of a 3 foot pole and lifting that pole from the other end 'like a big fish hanging there at the end of your fishing pole'. That 40 pounds suddenly feels a lot heavier than 40 pounds. Leverage is a factor that is often under estimated or completely ignored when it comes to weight reduction. I took about 200 pounds off the front of my 87 MonteCarlo and it made a HUGE difference off the line. Total I took between 400 - 500 pounds off my Monte and just the overall handling and feeling of the car was drastically improved 'my Monte weighed in at 3000 pounds even' street/strip car. I actually just started a thread about Mark VIII weight reduction in the performance section. I was hoping everybody could help share some ideas on how to lighten these cars up so feel free to check it out.

Errmergehrd

I'm always being blown away by what you guys do with these cars. 13's? Mostly stock internals? While moving 3700#? You gotta love the ingenious mindset of the 1/4 mile guys. What is that S/Ced red one doing now? I recall he was in the low 12's. If you're ever in Oregon, I'll supply beds, food and beer, while being a free crew member. Even my wife loves the spectacle. Go for it ... you only live once.

Drop in a nice 3.5L Ecoboost V6. Yes it's heresy, but it's light, will fit way back in the engine compartment and the 370 HP and 420 ft/lbs is nice as well.

Drop in a nice 3.5L Ecoboost V6. Yes it's heresy, but it's light, will fit way back in the engine compartment and the 370 HP and 420 ft/lbs is nice as well.

I wish I had the money to toy around with crazy plans like putting a 3.5L Ecoboost into a Mark. :)

On one thread people were talking about removing the front metal bumper under the bumper skin, said it was about 50 pounds. Not sure if it effects the strength of the body if removed, but that's worth looking into if this isn't a family vehicle. 50 pounds off the very front of the car would make a nice difference, along with a battery relocation kit, and ac delete. Iv been researching weight reduction but theres not much info on it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back