So...That's What It's Supposed To Drive Like...

Ric

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'll try to keep this story short, but I might not be successful. Ever since I got the '03 new, I have been disappointed with its performance. After reading such awesome reviews prior to the lease, I was expecting much more. The throttle lag, the sluggish shifting and the less than impressive handling had me completely underwhelmed. This week, I brought it into the dealer for a couple of intermittent electrical gremlins and they gave me a loaner. It's an '06 V8. I cannot believe it's the same car. They tell me Lincoln has made a few incremental improvements in the programming and such but nothing that would explain the night and day difference in performance. I have spent the last three years driving a car I was disapointed with, waiting for the "Red Carpet" to end. This loaner drives like the car I thought I was going to get originally. It feels light and nimble, corners like its on rails and when I put my foot into it coming out of a curve, it feels like it's got a turbo compared to my truck. I also had the opportunity to do some flat out accelerating on the highway and, while there is a very slight throttle lag, it's nothing compared to the two or three second dead spot in my car when I floor it. I spoke to the service rep and the tech and they can't really site any major change that would account for the enormous seat of the pants difference in how this car feels. I've asked them to have a look at the transmission programming while it's there. Anyone here have any opinion on why these two cars of the same make and model feel so different?

maybe its the poor calibration in your pcm. I drove and 04 in the fall of 04 while my mustang was down with insurance/flood/blown engine issue. Now I had driven our 02 ls on several occasions, but the 04 was nothing like it. To say it sucked was an understatement. The trans shifted funny and the throttle response was so poor I swore that I would never by one of the TBW system LS's.

Then about six months later, A friend asks me to help him diagnose a noise. We go for a drive and he keeps saying he can feel the issue, but I don't hear the noise he is hearing. So we swap so I can drive. I know its an 04 and so I bury the pedal pulling out a mall shopping lot onto the highway. OH YEAH!!, that's more like it, I as him what he as done and he says "nothing its always been like that". It turned out it was one of his rear calipers had lost the attaching bolt and was moving around on the remaining one.

But those two 04's were like night and day.

I still feel the '06 is sluggish and the dead drop when flooring it, maybe it's my car. But I hope the XCal2 will fix this problem.

well have the dealer reflash your PCM and having them check your transmission is a start but as i understand the only difference between the 03 and the 06 is that the transmission shift smoother but thats it eaverything else is the same and the transmission thing is just a software tune that your dealer should be able to duplicate.

my 03 drove incredible when I first got it. then one day it got slow. dealer says "no issue". I'm convinced there's a sensor (maf, etc.) or some sort of exhaust clog or something.

beaups said:
my 03 drove incredible when I first got it. then one day it got slow. dealer says "no issue". I'm convinced there's a sensor (maf, etc.) or some sort of exhaust clog or something.

same here, my 04 with 8K miles got VERY slow. It turned out to be a defective catalytic convertor that clogged up, dealer replaced it and it was back to happy driving. That never threw any codes either.

I've driven two LSes on and off the past couple of months. One is my 2001 V8 and the other is my girlfriend's father's 2002 V8. He has the SST option, but no exhaust, intake, etc. Either way, they drive like two totally different cars. His is very slow and the ride quality is poor compared to mine. Just like you are describing, the difference is almost night and day. Doesn't bother me though, I like my car faster than the next guy's LS. hehehe.

chocolat1701 said:
well have the dealer reflash your PCM and having them check your transmission is a start but as i understand the only difference between the 03 and the 06 is that the transmission shift smoother but thats it eaverything else is the same and the transmission thing is just a software tune that your dealer should be able to duplicate.

Actually, if anything, the '06 trans has a crisper, sportier shift than my '03. It also has a much raspier exhaust note...sounds like a real sports car when I get on it. I'm enjoying this loaner longer than I expected as the '03 is still in the shop. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll find the convertors are clogged up too. Initially, mine wasn't throwing any codes either, but after I described the difference in driving characteristics between the two cars, they either decided to look harder or keep it longer to make me think they are.

I owned an 03 before the 06 LS I currently have. Now, the 03 was a V6, but I can confirm the transmission was not a smooth or crisp as the 2006 models, even after I had the PCM reflashed. To complete the picture, Lincoln did make a few additional changes on shocks, shock damping, Navigation system improvements, additional voice commands, and some improved electrical components (door lock actuators, etc.). However, I think these revisions were part of ongoing improvements that any manufacturer would do. As most 06 owners will attest, it is the best of the best of the LS.

Keep in mind, you are comparing a 3 year old car with a brand new one, so one would expect the older car to have different driving dynamics based on worn components, etc. However, based on the dramatic difference in performance, I think you may have different issues -- more that can be explained by simple line improvements or normal wear. Despite the less-than-refined transmission, my 03 was very responsive in the throttle and handling which I was very happy with. You may want to take the Service Advisor for a ride in the loaner, and then in your car, to SHOW him the difference. Also, if you have not had the PCM reflashed, I suggest you do it, especially if your car is under warranty. Many 03 owners have observed a big difference in transmission performance with that reflash upgrade.

02V8Sport said:
same here, my 04 with 8K miles got VERY slow. It turned out to be a defective catalytic convertor that clogged up, dealer replaced it and it was back to happy driving. That never threw any codes either.

This may have been answered in the past but, if I took my car into get serviced (since it is driving slow) couldn't the dealership tell me that since I've added an aftermarket part (K&N Typhoon Intake) that no matter what was wrong with the catalytic convertor, I void my warranty. But the whole reason I bought the K&N was because my car felt sluggish and I wanted it to kick!

jgfish97 said:
This may have been answered in the past but, if I took my car into get serviced (since it is driving slow) couldn't the dealership tell me that since I've added an aftermarket part (K&N Typhoon Intake) that no matter what was wrong with the catalytic convertor, I void my warranty. But the whole reason I bought the K&N was because my car felt sluggish and I wanted it to kick!

Isn't the simple solution to reinstall the factory intake before dropping off the car for service?

Members online

No members online now.
Back