So my lsc is now a 5 spd

blk90

LVC Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to start a post here. I recently lost overdrive in my doa, i mean aod, and got a quote for 925 to rebuild. Nah, I just went with the 5 spd. Its pretty cool, I used the t5 out of my turbo coupe. The tranny has a 3.95 first gear so holeshots are quite quick. Anyway just thought I'd let you guys know what I did so if anyone has questions maybe I could help.

Hmm, I was under the impression that the 5 speed out of those probably wouldn't take a whole lot of abuse in the VII.

Probably won't, as the Mustang T-5s aren't much better, but it'll be fun in the meantime. Just don't power shift it and it should last you a little while.

Enjoy it.

That's great! Welcome to the T5 VII club. :Beer
You just took about a 1/2 second off your 1/4 mile time. (I think that's right)

Now let's wait and see how long it takes for some bonehead to say, "why didn't you just buy a Mustang, dude?" :bash:

Yeah, be careful on that T-bird tranny... same T5 that's in the '87-'93 Mustang 4 cylinder. it's only rated at 240lbs torque. :eek: and it should have 3.97 first gear.
Hell, you went to all that trouble, you should've got a beefier tranny. But if you were short on cash, at least your car is mobile.
It's great to turn heads of those who know what just passed by. I've had people follow me and when I park, they say how cool it is. lol...:cool:

5 spd lincoln

just bought a 85 lsc and wanted to know what you did to change over to a 5 spd. your info would be greatly appreciated.

yeah I was short on cash, and i had the 5 spd from my tc. The turbo coupe has the exact same internals as the mustang t5. I know they are supposed to be weaker but actually the parts interchange exactly. The only differences are the gear ratios and the pilot shaft size. Any how I was wandering if there is an actual pilot shaft bearing that can be used in this application. I ended up using one from a 1945-56 buick? Don't know why but it was the perfect size.

I'm near pittsburgh.

There isn't much involved with the change-over. You just need basic clutch components for a mustang, make sure its a 50oz flywheel though. Yank out the slush box cut a hole in the floor and bolt up the stick. I was lucky to have the thunderbird cuz I used the tranny tunnel cover that seals up the floor after you cut a hole. Also I tried to finangle my hydraulic clutch components(from the thunderbird) in the car, but after some long pondering of the needed fabrication I opted to go with a cable clutch like the mustang.

Also the thunderbird provided my with much better sway bars, when I redid the suspension.

I just don't think three is anything better than riding in style with the ac on, feeling the smooth air ride and leather comfort, then spanking a ricer up and down the highway, in my heavy, bulky go slow lux car.

Members online

No members online now.
Back