So I picked up a Yaris coupe

seekonkholen1

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm on the road about 25,000 miles per year, so I figured it would be a good idea to get a road car. My thoughts are that using the Yaris for the daily commute will not only save me a bunch of money on gas, it will help keep the mileage low on the LS. I am really conflicted about this purchase that I made. It sounded good on paper, but it may be a tough adjustment to make. I am used to driving in the lap of luxury, not in an enclosed go-kart. Have any of you done this same thing?

So you spent $25,000 to save $2,000 a year? Besides going from lap of luxury to an enclosed go-kart? :)

I can justify driving the company car but not give up comfort. On
my previous job, I was on the road sometimes from 3-4 hours each day
logging appoximately 30k miles a year and had to deal with rush
hour traffic. So, I can relate with your commute.

I would choose comfort over saving odometer mileage anyday. No sarcasm
intended but you may have been better off buying another LS and parking it.

I hope your car dealer has a good buyers' remorse program.

Ren

I'm on the road about 25,000 miles per year, so I figured it would be a good idea to get a road car. My thoughts are that using the Yaris for the daily commute will not only save me a bunch of money on gas, it will help keep the mileage low on the LS. I am really conflicted about this purchase that I made. It sounded good on paper, but it may be a tough adjustment to make. I am used to driving in the lap of luxury, not in an enclosed go-kart. Have any of you done this same thing?

On the bright side, when you come accross an LS on the road while you're in your Yaris, you can think to yourself (or even say aloud), "ey I gots one of those." :)

Of all the vehicles to get why a yaris??

If rather drive an mkz or a fusion if it's gotta be a 4 banger.

Of all the vehicles to get why a yaris??

If rather drive an mkz or a fusion if it's gotta be a 4 banger.

I think that one of the biggest marketing points about the Yaris is the number of storage compartments that it has. I do recall someone posting on here complaining that their LS did not have enough interior storage compartments.

I purchased a Geo Prizm for $100 9 years ago for commuting duties. With all the miles I put on my cars each year, if it were not for the Geo, I would no longer have my Mark VIII as it would not have lasted. I'm able to keep it in the garage on foul-weather days and take my time repairing it. A good beater is worth it's weight in gold if you have another car you care about.

Did you buy it new?

I guess it is a good gas saver, those little toyotas are pretty comfortable too, not bad.

I am sure it is going to be much more reliable then the LS or a Fuzion in a long run.

I'm all for getting a second vehicle as a gas saver and have driven a Camry hybrid but a yaris?? I'm too spoiled with my ls I guess.

On the bright side, when you come accross an LS on the road while you're in your Yaris, you can think to yourself (or even say aloud), "ey I gots one of those." :)

Haha I do that just driving my LS around.

Did you buy it new?

I guess it is a good gas saver, those little toyotas are pretty comfortable too, not bad.

I am sure it is going to be much more reliable then the LS or a Fuzion in a long run.

Have you checked the reliability ratings on the fusion? Better than toyota. I still Have my 06' I bought brand new and it's been great.

Haha I do that just driving my LS around.

Me too! My brother has an 07' mustang and rode with my in the LS then drove it and applauded the good ride.

OP,
You made a mistake in my opinion. I agree with brentalan, a good beater is nice. His was $100, yours(the yaris) is to expensive to justify.

Did you buy it new?

I actually picked it up at the auction, so I grabbed it pretty cheap.. There is something to be said for having friends with a dealers license.

It is pretty comfortable. but it does take some time to get used to. The one thing that is pretty sweet is that I have already put 190 miles on it (since Monday night) and have only used 1/3 of a tank of gas.

It is definately not my Lincoln, and when I pull into my driveway the first thing I think is how bada$$ my LS is, but while on the road I just keep telling myself I did the right thing.

I have found a couple around here for 7k. I am going to be picking on up in the near future for the same purpose you did. I could drive my V8 LS daily, or my Supercrew 5.4L F150 and stop for gas every other day. Or I can get the Yaris with the 11 gallon tank and feel up once a week maybe.

Sure there are other 4 cylinder cars that are more appealing, but that's not the point. I'll soon be racking up about 40,000+ miles a year between work and school. I need something that gets 36+ MPG and is reliable.

I've watched a few Yaris's around my area and they don't last long.

diesel Volkswagen? plenty reliable, many see 300k miles. and 40+ (sometimes almost 50) mpg.
i've driven a few golf/jettas. they aren't so bad. nothing like a Lincoln, but hey.

many options in the 4 cyl market for under 10K that arent a yaris.

Altima, mazda6, fuison, mkz are some that come to mind.

MKZ under 10K? God bless America.

No thanks to Altimas, Nissan are junk now.

dont know about the newer ones but the 03 and up ones are damn reliable.

And yes theres a 2006 with 100k miles on it for 9 grand in my area.

Members online

No members online now.
Back