So I had to get a tow

mnmridg

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Because MY key would start the car, but all the needles would peg and tha engine would shut down followed by the alarm being set off. But my wifes key worked fine...for a week. Then same scenario...
Stealership (I love that phrase) said it was a dead battery and the car wasn't driven enough... Long story, he's full of crap, I had just been on a 400+ mile trip through Kentucky, blah blah blah...

But I digress...When the tow truck got there (rollback) he positioned his truck in a way that there was NO WAY the car was going on the truck. After a feeble failed attempt he repositioned his truck to NOT where I suggested but at least more straight on. But this position caused his cable to drag all the way across the underside of the front bumper cover and when the car started going up the back of the truck the rear bumper cover (valance actually) and chrome tips started dragging my concrete driveway. I said "Whats that sound?! Whoa! Whoa!" and my wife said something like "Hey! Hey! Whoa! Whoa!!"
Mr. Tow Truck Driver responded with "Just another inch or two..."

I now have two 18"-20" gouges in my driveway. I don't care about the driveway though (silly me!!) I want my chrome tips replaced!

So, I call roadside assistance back, whole saga later, I go back to the dealer for an estimate (I'm not paying this time!!) and they tell me that there isn't a chrome tip replacement part and they write it up for a new exaust. Muffler & pipe with resonator - $709.98 (Plus bumper cover work total is 1558.60).

My questions to my LS freinds,
a) Is this true?
b) Are there no factory slip on tips?
c) Should there be a Right and a Left or is that $700 for a complete factory cat back system? ( yes, I asked at least three times before I left and she seemed sure it was true)

Of course I'm hopeing I get a check so I can put on some Magnaflows and an X pipe, but I'm not holding my breath...

I don't think you can get tips from the factory, but I've been wrong before and I'll certainly be wrong again. I would suggest getting some tips from somewhere else, as I can't imagine the damage being worthy of an entire new exhaust.

Also if you're ever looking for factory parts use the links on the right hand side of the site. Max has always been helpful to every one here.

No, I don't see it being worthy of a whole new exaust either. But, I didn't cause the damage, and I am not paying for the repair.
Which link is Max?

In my service manual it shows everything from the resonators on back as 1 part number!

No, I don't see it being worthy of a whole new exaust either. But, I didn't cause the damage, and I am not paying for the repair.
Which link is Max?

haha, the one that says call maxx.....

Five Star Ford.

Cool, Thanks man.

Now, lets hope they send me a check so I can do some aftermarket tips...

And magnaflows with an X...

Cool, Thanks man.

Now, lets hope they send me a check so I can do some aftermarket tips...

And magnaflows with an X...

That's what I was going to recommend. Not quite sure on the x pipe, but def. get the magnaflow kit instead.

that f'ed up man, why is it that any time that I need to get a tow truck they always send some low birth weight sun of a bi-otch that doesn't give a crap about the car he has to tow? btw if one key doesnt work but one does than it has nothing to due with a dead batt, the car has lost the programing for the PATS key and needs to be reprogramed. the car doesnt lose the promraming when the batt dies or else you would NEVER be able to jump start the car with a dead batt because it would "forget" the keys everytime. it must be standard practice at the stealership, if you don't know what is going on just make somthing up

Dude I barely drove my car at all all winter long! Thats bullsh*t!

I agree with the others as far as the exhaust goes. If they are paying for it and cutting you a check then hell, even if it did have a part number and a factory exhaust tip did exist without buying a whole new system I would go with that nice fat check and get all the good stuff. One stealerships loss is another mans gain!

that f'ed up man, why is it that any time that I need to get a tow truck they always send some low birth weight sun of a bi-otch that doesn't give a crap about the car he has to tow? btw if one key doesnt work but one does than it has nothing to due with a dead batt, the car has lost the programing for the PATS key and needs to be reprogramed. the car doesnt lose the promraming when the batt dies or else you would NEVER be able to jump start the car with a dead batt because it would "forget" the keys everytime. it must be standard practice at the stealership, if you don't know what is going on just make somthing up

Thats what I explained to 3 different service managers. I really expected that I had done something to my key (set it too close to some electronics or something) but when the same thing happened to my wifes key i figured the security system had crapped out. The dealership insists all they did was charge the battery and all is fine. I'm gonna be furious if my wife gets stranded in Nashville with the kids or something though.

"One stealerships loss is another mans gain!"

Truer words have never been spoken...

when i bough my first ls it came with 3 keys and i found out 3 month later that 1 of them didn't work i had to go back like three times before they got it right. of corse they acted like they had no ideal what was going on. the first two times a guy programed the 3rd key in the car with the basic PATS setup and it worked for about a week, the third time the guy programed it in the shop on the computer and it never had a problem again. and you cant do any thing to the key, the keys have a set "code" and the car has to be set to accept the key.

Just FYI, since you had 2 working keys, you could've programmed the third yourself.

In addition to the 2 keys I currently use (one on my keychain, one on the girlfriend's), I have 2 spare keys programmed in a box on my dresser. If my girlfriend or myself lose a key, I always have 2 at home to program a new one.

(1) place 1st key in ignition and turn on(dont start) and wait for security light to go off
(2) with in 5 sec place 2nd key in ignition and turn on(dont start) and wait for security light to go off
(3) with in 5 sec place third key(not programed) in ignition and start the car
(4) key programed
i tried but it would not stay programed for more than a week, i'm not saying that it made sence but it happened to me and the dude at the dealer

Been awhile since i've uploaded pictures...Hopefully I got them of "said damage"

DSC02785.JPG

DSC08115.JPG

DSC08116.JPG

DSC08118.JPG

Haa!
Sometimes I amaze myself!! well not really...

First is Mr. Tow Truck Operator (aka Booger eating moron) and my car on the flatbed. Notice the gouges in the concrete and how they line up with the exaust.
Next is Driver and Passenger rear, although It is harder to see the flattened part on the bottom of the tips as I haven't washed it yet this weekend.
Then the front, which has much more damage then I had expected.

How deep are the scrapes in the bumper? Are they willing to work on having it painted or replacing it? If its a replacement, I say a 06 or 2nd Gen LSE bumper is in order!

Edit: Wait! Is that a LSE?

How deep are the scrapes in the bumper? Are they willing to work on having it painted or replacing it? If its a replacement, I say a 06 or 2nd Gen LSE bumper is in order!

Edit: Wait! Is that a LSE?

Nope, '06.
Dealerships quote has 5 hours labor to repair the front (plus 3.6 for paint and clear coat) plus 1.8 hours for R&I and 2 hours on the rear for repair with another 0.3 for R&I, whatever R&I is...
Not including the exaust...

Because MY key would start the car, but all the needles would peg and tha engine would shut down followed by the alarm being set off. But my wifes key worked fine...for a week. Then same scenario...
Stealership (I love that phrase) said it was a dead battery and the car wasn't driven enough... Long story, he's full of crap, I had just been on a 400+ mile trip through Kentucky, blah blah blah...

Muffler & pipe with resonator - $709.98 (Plus bumper cover work total is 1558.60).

My questions to my LS freinds,
a) Is this true?
b) Are there no factory slip on tips?
c) Should there be a Right and a Left or is that $700 for a complete factory cat back system? ( yes, I asked at least three times before I left and she seemed sure it was true)

Of course I'm hopeing I get a check so I can put on some Magnaflows and an X pipe, but I'm not holding my breath...

My daughter had a run in with a retaining wall with our '06 (now my wife believes she's more comfortable driving my '00) and scratched and bent the tip. The body shop thought they could just replace the tip, but not so. The exhaust is one assembly and must be replaced as a unit.

The gauge issue sounds like the alternator failed and killed the battery. At least that is what happened with my '00. At that, it seems awful early for the alternator to fail.....

My daughter had a run in with a retaining wall with our '06 (now my wife believes she's more comfortable driving my '00) and scratched and bent the tip. The body shop thought they could just replace the tip, but not so. The exhaust is one assembly and must be replaced as a unit.

The gauge issue sounds like the alternator failed and killed the battery. At least that is what happened with my '00. At that, it seems awful early for the alternator to fail.....

Seems early for me too. The part that confuses me is my key set the alrm off and the killed the engine (after starting without hesitation) but my wifes key worked fine. Even after I drove the car after the first instance, I returned home and just for grins and giggles, took my wifes key out and inserted mine.
Car started, all needles pegged, engine shut down, alarm sounded....
It ran great for a week then my wifes key did the same thing.
dealership said the only they could find was a dead battery...

I'm thinking intermittent short in the security system computer, or (a stretch) a loose cell or plate in the battery.

Members online

Back