So, How is the LS in the snow?

IL-LS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I know i have a while before we see snow again (so I hope!) But wondering how this thing will be in the snow. I cant imagine it'd be any worse than my 2WD Tahoe I had... Its got weight behind it, and I have the advance track (FWIW) ...

Any experiences?

Mike

its okay... but its tough going up any kind of incline, whether the traction control is on or off. you have to put it in the lowest gear... and if you get stuck in a spot in the snow, your screwed. most cars you can floor your way out of snow, but in this car, you rev it too much & spin the wheels, it will shut off! :(

i need new tires... i think i remember having the car in its first winter & it wasnt as bad as it is now.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=000363

its kinda hard for the first time, well it was for me, cuz i wasnt used to rwd OR ABS... so i had to learn how this thing drove in the snow. you learn how to control your car in the snow, then you get in the LS and have to learn all over again!! :L

What About The V6/front Wheel Drive In The Snow... I Live In Michigan And Snow Sux Here!!

IL-LS said:
Well I know i have a while before we see snow again (so I hope!) But wondering how this thing will be in the snow. I cant imagine it'd be any worse than my 2WD Tahoe I had... Its got weight behind it, and I have the advance track (FWIW) ...

Any experiences?

Mike

Its a lot of fun. Becareful if you turn your traction control off, if you hit the gas the rear end will get loose if your not careful. The traction control is pretty cool if you try and fishtail around a corner the car will just stop in its place. In town driving I try and keep the traction control off because it will grab when you want to take off. On Highway driving I keep it on and it has saved me a couple of times. When changing lanes in icy/snowy conditions I have fishtailed the car and the traction control has caught it and straightened me out. It handled a lot better than I expected of a rearwheel drive car. This car is just plain awesome....

Hawk03 said:
Its a lot of fun. Becareful if you turn your traction control off, if you hit the gas the rear end will get loose if your not careful. The traction control is pretty cool if you try and fishtail around a corner the car will just stop in its place. In town driving I try and keep the traction control off because it will grab when you want to take off. On Highway driving I keep it on and it has saved me a couple of times. When changing lanes in icy/snowy conditions I have fishtailed the car and the traction control has caught it and straightened me out. It handled a lot better than I expected of a rearwheel drive car. This car is just plain awesome....

you are right about that. just let off the gas, and the traction stops the fishtailing! its pretty sweet! scarry, but cool. :L

Thats my only issue with the LS, im in Detroit, MI and i give it EXTREMELY poor rating for snow..

I've been here since birth and have driven many cars in the harsh north winters, but the LS is by far the worst. Great for traction control slides, but if you sink into a bank or wet matted snow, your sunk :D Turning off advance trac will only let you spin in one spot unless you rock it, which i don't advise, get a push!

i got stuck in some wet grass a week after i had my car.. i ended up getting out.. the car just wouldnt go in reverse without the tires spinning..... so i had to maneuver it.. forward backwards.. till I was facing forward.. i shoulda made my girl get out and push!!!

never had the problem with my car and i am in MN. it goes great in the snow. i was impressed. we had 10" and i went driving and never got stuck. you have to have the TC on or it will not go...

the traction system on my tahoe was great too. saved me LOTS of times from spinning out! Basically you could floor it, and the tires would barley spin! Seems the function of this system is much the same. Im used to driving a RWD in the snow, so should be no issue, just wondering~! :)

Actually with good snow tires it is one of the better cars I've driven in the snow. Mine is used to go skiing every other weekend in VT. The last 5 miles of the trip are a series of switchbacks over a mountian pass. Even snow covered I've never had to but the chains on (I keep them in the trunk just in case).

It is one of the best because when it does start to rotate or slide it is very controllable and correctable. Also most rotations are slow and the tighter uphill switchbacks can be taken with controlled two and four wheel drifts.

I've driven it out of the driveway (dirt road with hard packed snow base) after an 8 - 10 inch snow fall before the plow came through with no problems (pushing the snow with the front bumper). You do need good snow tires (four of them) and you need to drive like there is snow on the ground.

I do not have traction control and would imagine it would be more of a hindrence then a help since it would likely dial back power too soon.

Also I have a manual transmission.

didjital| said:
Thats my only issue with the LS, im in Detroit, MI and i give it EXTREMELY poor rating for snow..

I've been here since birth and have driven many cars in the harsh north winters, but the LS is by far the worst. Great for traction control slides, but if you sink into a bank or wet matted snow, your sunk :D Turning off advance trac will only let you spin in one spot unless you rock it, which i don't advise, get a push!
I own a 2000 LS8 with advancetrac.........havent had it in the snow yet. But, my parents own a dealership and they have a 2001 LS with only traction control. I drove that car last winter in a snow storm..........and though by no means was it a Jeep, it was sufficient. I don't see how you could say the LS is the "worst." Like any winter driving.........one has to take it slow and be cautious. To be quite honest, I have seen more 4x4's and FWD cars in the ditch than any other car. What kind of tires were you running on your LS? Tires have a lot to do with it..........as do drivers. Throughout highschool........I drove a Mustang year round and never had a problem........

Perhaps a bit of history, I've been driving 2wd trucks my entire life, I never meant to imply it was the "worst" car in snow, but rather worst I've driven amongst the cars I've had. I can say that based on where i'm located particularly i had many problems in non-packed snow on top of an icey/slippery road. I agree the driver is key, I've driven in Michigan weather my entire life, hell it layed down 8 inches of snow in mid april here!

If you sink, advance trac turns on and slows down the wheels, if you turn it off and give it hell you now dig a hole. If you keep moving through the snow sure its just fine, however if it finds itself into a small gap in the snow, I still agree its not as good as it should be getting out.

Don't get me wrong :L , but how much can you honestly expect from rear wheel drive car, even if it does have advance trac/traction control? I perhaps assumed it might be a lot better than the other 2wd's i've driven being it is an Lincoln.

I live in Mi and i have had a lot of problems with snow, there were days when i couldn't get the LS out of my driveway. Unless the roads were clear, i wouldn't drive the LS. New-snow tires are a must, with some weight over back wheels.

maxlsv8 said:
I live in Mi and i have had a lot of problems with snow, there were days when i couldn't get the LS out of my driveway. Unless the roads were clear, i wouldn't drive the LS. New-snow tires are a must, with some weight over back wheels.

Wow man, My offices are in Shelby Twp, howdy neighbor!

Members online

Back