So far: 4.0L Jaguar S-Type bearings = 3.9L Lincoln LS bearings

Gearheadloco

LVC Member
Reaction score
LS fans,

Can't say with complete certainty just yet as I'm comparing used to used, but both the connecting rod bearings and crankshaft main bearings of my 2001 Lincoln LS 3.9L V8 match the dimensions - exactly - of the same parts in a 2000 Jaguar S-Type with the 4.0L V8.

My machinist buddy and I first measured the bearings in all dimensions and then put them in the connecting rods and in the block and torqued them to the Jaguar 4.0 specs which I hope are the same as the 3.9L - can't find the 3.9L specs in any official-looking reference.

Here's my 2001 3.9L crankshaft bearings on the left, the used 2000 4.0L Jaguar S-Type bearings on the right.

BothBearings.jpg

Here's a closer look at my old 3.9L bearings below. The darker grey spots on these bearings are very small shards of what was left of the two connecting rod bearings that spun around the journals and disintegrated in my engine.

OldBearings.jpg

So it looks like the coast is clear to order Jaguar S-Type bearings from model years 2000 - 2002 while the 4.0L was the standard engine. If they measure out like these used bearings do, I think my 2001 LS 3.9 bearing problems are in the past.

Phil
San Diego

Very cool findings. Can't see how or why there would be too many differences, if any really between the 4.0L AJ26/27 and the 3.9L AJ30/35 engine's short block's bearings. The 1mm difference in stroke (why the hell Ford did this God only know's - maybe the premium European brand had to have the "larger" V8 engine?) on the crank of course means either different pistons due to wrist pin location or different rod lengths.

If the rod journals in the 3.9L crank were damaged on your engine, I wonder if you can swap in the Jaguar 4.0L rotating assembly into the Ford 3.9L block or simply swap in a 4.0L Jaguar short block?

Last edited:
... The 1mm difference in stroke (why the hell Ford did this God only know's - maybe the premium European brand had to have the "larger" V8 engine?) ...

That's exactly it. The feeling was that the Jaguar version must have higher (if only slightly) performance.

What is even funnier is that the 86.0mm bore and 85.0mm stroke works out to 3.950L Ford typically rounded up on their engine displace, but rounded down this time to make it appear less potent than the Jaguar 4.0L (3.996L) version of the same engine with the 86.0mm stroke. By the time the Gen II engines came out, Ford had adopted most the Jaguar intake improvement they had made earlier to boost the output of both the V6 & V8 engines in the Lincoln LS.

Back more on subject, has anyone ever tried a 4.0L or 4.2L Jaguar short block or complete engine swap into a Lincoln LS?

What is even funnier is that the 86.0mm bore and 85.0mm stroke works out to 3.950L Ford typically rounded up on their engine displace, but rounded down this time to make it appear less potent than the Jaguar 4.0L (3.996L) version of the same engine with the 86.0mm stroke. By the time the Gen II engines came out, Ford had adopted most the Jaguar intake improvement they had made earlier to boost the output of both the V6 & V8 engines in the Lincoln LS.

Back more on subject, has anyone ever tried a 4.0L or 4.2L Jaguar short block or complete engine swap into a Lincoln LS?

Want to know the same thing? Is the 4.0 or 4.2 Block a easy swap?

I'm not sure about this at all, but it may be that the coolant passages between the Jaguar blocks and heads don't completely match with those between the Lincoln blocks and heads. I think I remember seeing something about that once. Maybe you could compare head gaskets?

So when you order the new Jaguar bearings, what color are you going to order? As near as I can figure the "green" bearings are the factory standard size with blue being the first oversize. I figured if I get the blue bearings and have the crank polished to match the bearings I should be perfect.

So when you order the new Jaguar bearings, what color are you going to order? As near as I can figure the "green" bearings are the factory standard size with blue being the first oversize. I figured if I get the blue bearings and have the crank polished to match the bearings I should be perfect.

Actually I got lucky in two ways - first I have a buddy that builds racing engines and has a full shop, and second I found a used crankshaft on eBay and when I bought it I asked the seller to sell me the crankshaft main and thrust bearings that came from the same Lincoln 3.9L engine. When we polished the crankshaft the old bearings were still within spec and in good condition, so I put them in along with the used crankshaft. So I never had to fool around with the blue, green and yellow bearings. But the folks at Terry's Jaguar were very friendly and helpful.

They explained to me that the bearings are sold as half-shells, and that the factory didn't necessarily always use two shells of the same "colour" together. I guess Jaguar didn't ave perfect control of their engine block castings, so they would pair a blue with a green or a green with a yellow and the line bore the block before assembly. My plan was going to be to buy the first oversize (blue), clamp them in the block, and then line bore the block and bearings to match the used crankshaft after polishing. Just like the factory. My friend's line boring machine doesn't care which bearings you use or even if they don't match or are not round - it just drills out the bearings in a perfect line no matter what! It's an amazing machine.

Let me know what you finally decide to do - but re-using an old eBay crankshaft and bearings is working fine for me. Since rebuilding my son has driven the car about 7,500 miles and it still purrs lick a kitten. I'm using Mobil One and it seems to like that.

Best regards,
Phil in San Diego

Very interesting work! A bit over my head although my dad was very close with drag racing pistons, engines, etc building folks that were old Army buddies. (not really relevant but anyhoo...). Was this project to fix a certain problem or preventative or ? Have you or your son noticed any appreciable increase in power?

Members online

No members online now.
Back