So Could anyone tell me what the previous owner tried to do here?

DenisM09

LVC Member
Reaction score
pictures IMG_3142.jpgIMG_3143.jpgIMG_3144.jpg

IMG_3142.jpg

IMG_3143.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

Need more information. What do the wires in the black loom attached to the relay go to? He has probably tapped battery power and a key-on signal. The relay switches a larger current than just the key-on signal could.

Gen 1, right?
Electric fan conversion.

The brown/green wires are for the hydraulic fan pump actuator. Not sure why they were cut - that connector usually comes off pretty easy. Might've started a conversion using one of my boxes (which needs those wires) but stopped. The PO just used existing taps to pull power from the distribution block instead of tapping an existing wire. Hopefully there's a fuse somewhere!

Gen 1, right?
Electric fan conversion.

The brown/green wires are for the hydraulic fan pump actuator. Not sure why they were cut - that connector usually comes off pretty easy. Might've started a conversion using one of my boxes (which needs those wires) but stopped. The PO just used existing taps to pull power from the distribution block instead of tapping an existing wire. Hopefully there's a fuse somewhere!

would this be why im throwing a hydraulic pump code?

I missed the wires cut in the picture.
Anyway, yes the PCM will sense there is no load where the solenoid should be and trigger an error code. The easiest way around that is to connect a hydraulic pump solenoid. Alternately, you could try a resistor, but I'm not sure how low it's resistance would have to be to work. The larger the resistance that works, the better.

If that wiring to the relay is for an electric fan, then either the fan is undersized, or the wiring is.

joegr said:
It's better to keep all this in the open forum. Fix what? The solenoid error? The operation of the fan? Is there overheating? ...

there is a whistling sound when running the engine hard, and to fix the operation of the fan
there is no overheating drive it daily. and what should i do to fix the soleniod error as well i dont like to see all those wires in my fuse box ahhah

If your fan is working, you should probably leave it. Yes, it could be wired better and neater, but if you have to ask, you are probably not the one to be able to do that.
As for the error, like I said, the simplest way is to splice back in a connector plugged into a hydraulic pump solenoid and tie the thing out of the way somewhere. The solenoid doesn't have to work mechanically, just electrically. Get one (and it's connector) from a junkyard.
The whistling sound requires more troubleshooting.

qty 4 typical 1k resistors in parallel across the two leads will work. That's the load segment of my circuit. Note that one of those wires is hot when ignition is on. IIRC, it's the green wire. At least tape off the ends of the wires until you get it properly fixed.

Finding a complete v8 engine in the pick'n'pull yards is still pretty tough. V6s stick around, but folks yank the v8s pretty fast.

qty 4 typical 1k resistors in parallel across the two leads will work. That's the load segment of my circuit. Note that one of those wires is hot when ignition is on. IIRC, it's the green wire. At least tape off the ends of the wires until you get it properly fixed.

Finding a complete v8 engine in the pick'n'pull yards is still pretty tough. V6s stick around, but folks yank the v8s pretty fast.

Okay will do

Members online

Back