Smoking radio?

Lincoln LS

1. Destineal

Destineal LVC Member

Today, when I started my car, it began to smoke inside so I cut it off. When I came back to it later, the radio no longer worked and the car was no longer smoking. Are these radios known to go out with a bang?04 LSE

2. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

Usually, a fuse blows instead of something burning. Burning is bad.
    Where did the smoke come out from? Just because the radio has stopped, doesn't mean it wasn't something else on the same circuit. Have you checked for blow fuses? Anything else not working?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Destineal

Destineal LVC Member

I haven't really checked anything else. I did pull the radio and it does smell like the culprit.

• capt fast

capt fast LVC Member

generic JBL control head used by ford-so I've been told. the amp is in the trunk under the package shelf along with the antenna amp and possible the cell phone module. junk yard parts for a newer radio head is in your future. once smoke escapes from the wiring, abandon all hope.
      some people make a living of repairing these radios. they can be found on line. a blown fuse is a sure indication of badness, electronically speaking. If you have blown fuses, don't plug the radio back in, the fuses blew for a reason. If the fuse didn't open, it may have taken out the amp in the trunk also, so you might consider checking the amp also.

My '98 lost the left front amp channel. the cd died. AM on the radio went away and the speakers...well, renewed with some Kenwood speakers. Pioneer in the dash. modified some of the wiring. deleted the audio amp, kept the antenna amplifier. Not earth shatteringly loud but enough to be heard inside the car. it's a far cry from the Kmart Kraco radios of yesteryear.

• Like Like x 2
      • 04_Sport_LS

04_Sport_LS Dedicated LVC Member

Boy, you just dated yourself... and me too. :D

• Like Like x 1
        • joegr

The amp under the package shelf is for the subs only. The amp for the speakers is in the head unit, except for the THX navigation units (for those it is on the left side wall of the trunk, behind the trim).

Last edited: May 19, 2019
          • Like Like x 1
          • 04_Sport_LS

04_Sport_LS Dedicated LVC Member

Destineal,

If it's actually a problem with the radio itself... and another issue won't fry the replacement ... then as mentioned... OEM units can be found on Ebay. They are checked out for function and may come with warranty... and some sellers add an aux jack on the front. However... usage of that may depend on your vehicle wiring and factory radio options.

Just remember that Ebay seller rating is over inflated... so don't buy from someone with less than 99.5% ... and check their reviews.

• Like Like x 1
            • Destineal

Destineal LVC Member

Is it possible for the speakers to kill the amp in the stereo?

• joegr

Normally, it's fairly well protected from that, but it's not impossible.

• Like Like x 1