Smoking after changing the belt

If the compressor is a junk one that you use and it fails your going to be spending much more to get it all going again is why I would be cautious with this one decision. I have used many used parts in my cars before over the years but a used compressor is a no-go for me for the obvious reasons! Spectra used to make a aftermarket one for the LS if I am not mistaken and if you can find it maybe you can save a little bit.
You make a good point, maybe I'll wait for more money and get the good one. Thanks

You make a good point, maybe I'll wait for more money and get the good one. Thanks
That is what I am going to do if my compressor starts to leak this year. I see on my LS the previous owner used dye to find the AC leak so it's a guess if they actually fixed the leak! Guess I will know in a few months! So far I have had no issues and it's been nice and cold since purchasing it in November.

Thank you very much .I did notice the bolts are aliittle longer on the V6 compressor
I really am taking in all of what every one is saying I guess now my only concern is with the longer sleeves and bolts will that make the clutch pully reach over to one side just a fraction more to where the belt would be to small if anyone understands what I'm saying

I'm with SultanGris. Even thought I did flush the system and everything else maybe skimpimg out on the compressor is kinda foolish even if I know for sure sure it works because I installed it on the car 6 months ago and it was new when I put it on and everything then was replaced with it. Maybe I should just go ahead and remove it. Still have not run the car since I bolted it on.

Thank you very much .I did notice the bolts are aliittle longer on the V6 compressor
I really am taking in all of what every one is saying I guess now my only concern is with the longer sleeves and bolts will that make the clutch pully reach over to one side just a fraction more to where the belt would be to small if anyone understands what I'm saying

The pumping capacity of the compressor is different too.
I stand by my statement, the V8 and V6 compressors are different. You didn't ask if it is possible to make one work on the other! I don't know that answer, but I suspect they would have used the same one for both if it would have worked just as well for both.

On the flushing and changing of other parts, you need to do that only if the compressor suffered internal failure. If it is locked up, then it suffered internal failure. It probably locked up because the scroll control valve o-ring leaked all the compressor oil out. If you don't do it, the little bits on metal that the old compressor spread though out the system will circulate back to the new compressor and scratch up the internal sealing surfaces and it will pump less and less as time goes by.

Any time you open the system and the dryer in it is more than a few months old, you should replace the dryer. It doesn't cost much anyway.

I'm sorry I didn't think about the capacity at all I didn't look at the big picture . I did how ever have it flushed and just ran out of money for the compressor that is the only reason I chose to use the one from the V6 I would like to apologize for not taking your advice just a.lityle happy that it did go it and I was that much closer..... Now I'm kicking myself because I'm about to go back and remove it just so I don't mess everything up costing me my car thank you again and please I do apologize.

Do it right... do it once... and be done with it. And new parts are usually best... especially for the LS and newer vehicles.

Gone are the days where the average guy, (or gal), could go to a junkyard... buy a used part... and rebuild it himself/herself.

On the flushing and changing of other parts, you need to do that only if the compressor suffered internal failure. If it is locked up, then it suffered internal failure. It probably locked up because the scroll control valve o-ring leaked all the compressor oil out. If you don't do it, the little bits on metal that the old compressor spread though out the system will circulate back to the new compressor and scratch up the internal sealing surfaces and it will pump less and less as time goes by.

This is a definite. The whole system should be flushed. And since the pump suffered internal failure... it was probably due to a leak... where someone kept "topping off" the refrigerant... without adding oil.

This is a definite. The whole system should be flushed. And since the pump suffered internal failure... it was probably due to a leak... where someone kept "topping off" the refrigerant... without adding oil.
Since that scroll control valve is at the bottom of the compressor, it seems like it may leak most or all of the oil out before it leaks out the refrigerant, or at least enough to notice. On both of mine, I caught it due to the puddle of compressor oil on my garage floor. I caught it before the cooling ever lowered enough to notice. If you don't have a garage or a fixed parking space, or do your own oil changes, I can see how it could happen to you without you knowing it.

I'm sorry I didn't think about the capacity at all I didn't look at the big picture . I did how ever have it flushed and just ran out of money for the compressor that is the only reason I chose to use the one from the V6 I would like to apologize for not taking your advice just a.lityle happy that it did go it and I was that much closer..... Now I'm kicking myself because I'm about to go back and remove it just so I don't mess everything up costing me my car thank you again and please I do apologize.
Joe knows what he's talking about for sure. Pay close attention to his advice, he's nearly always correct.

Just as a point of reference here...
I tried one of those Chinese compressors on my 04. It worked great, didn't leak, and was quiet, for about one month. After that, it would cool at high engine RPMs, but not at all at or near idle. Lesson learned, I swapped in a Motorcraft one and had no more compressor problems. (I got rid of the 04 when the expansion valve stuck.)

Your experience may not be the same, and I think someone here did report success, but they disappeared, so I don't know if it was good for them for more than a month...

Just as a point of reference here...
I tried one of those Chinese compressors on my 04. It worked great, didn't leak, and was quiet, for about one month. After that, it would cool at high engine RPMs, but not at all at or near idle. Lesson learned, I swapped in a Motorcraft one and had no more compressor problems. (I got rid of the 04 when the expansion valve stuck.)

Your experience may not be the same, and I think someone here did report success, but they disappeared, so I don't know if it was good for them for more than a month...
Is the expansion valve behind the dash? Is that the hissing one or is that on the compressor itself? I have hissing behind the dash. I'm guessing it's real fun to change is why you sold the whole car? thanks

Is the expansion valve behind the dash? Is that the hissing one or is that on the compressor itself? I have hissing behind the dash. I'm guessing it's real fun to change is why you sold the whole car? thanks
The expansion valve is behind the dash. The entire dash has to come out to change it, then you have to put it back in and hope that too many of the plastic parts didn't break in the process. Of course, it would be foolish to do all that and not go ahead and replace all the actuators and the evaporator and the heater cores. It just added up to too much on a car with mostly the original suspension and 240K miles and 17 years or so of age.

The hiss that you hear is at that valve, but may not indicate any problem with the valve. (Mine made no noise at all when it stuck). The hiss is a very common symptom of having a low refrigerant level. I never heard one do that for any other reason, but I am very far from having heard/seen/done everything.

The expansion valve is behind the dash. The entire dash has to come out to change it, then you have to put it back in and hope that too many of the plastic parts didn't break in the process. Of course, it would be foolish to do all that and not go ahead and replace all the actuators and the evaporator and the heater cores. It just added up to too much on a car with mostly the original suspension and 240K miles and 17 years or so of age.

The hiss that you hear is at that valve, but may not indicate any problem with the valve. (Mine made no noise at all when it stuck). The hiss is a very common symptom of having a low refrigerant level. I never heard one do that for any other reason, but I am very far from having heard/seen/done everything.
Ah ok, makes sense, thanks.

Hey everyone I am the proud owner of not 1 not 2 but 3 LSes a 01 that is almost showroom a 02 LSE that also is almost showroom and a 04 V6 that has seen better days but still is a LS I love these cars and I treat them with respect and care for them like the need to be but last night my 01 with a 3.9 V8 didn't love me back.
I was on my way home about 50 miles and I broke the belt I managed to get one and got it on but as soon as I fired her up I got smoke that smells like burning paper coming from down by the fan. It don't seem right to me because I had no paper there and it didn't run long enough to burn anything not even get hot.any help would be great as this is my daily driver.may I will go down this morning and the gremlins may have fixed it for me but all the same I can really use a little help here. I know a few you guys on here know a whole lot about these cars and I'm reaching out to you. Please help thank you so much .
02 LSE...........interested in selling?????? I have one too but would like to buy another. How many miles ???? Wally

I am very sorry Wally but I would ask the same of you may you would like to sell yours. I love LSE and I think I'd hold on to her a while and it's been promised to my granddaughter when she is ready to drive. I'm not sure but I was told that a look at the Vin number says this is number 978 of 1500 made but I'm not sure of that Shure would be nice if it was if you know of any way to find out if this is true would be great. . Thank you for the offer I really wish I knew how to post pictures of my cars on here but still can't figure that out .

Yes when under the car be sure and take a look at the bottom of the AC compressor. As Joegr said there is a greenish/yellowish oil in the system and the compressors will start leaking at the bottom or at least the oil will gather there before it drips off. So any green/yellow staining shows it has started leaking. You will have some time before refrigerant starts to leak out and I drove the car without problems for about a year after I saw the stains. I did not know what they meant at the time.

I did use a china compressor replacement (I think because of the price?) and it held up fine and I sold the car 2 years later. You really wan to replace the compressor before it locks up. Otherwise a lot of extra work is involved. I did replace my dryer since I opened the system.

You might want to check the local parts stores too. O'Reilly Auto Parts can have competitive prices.

Here is a detailed thread from the Jaguar S-Type forum that might add some info.
AC Compressor Problems
S Type R AC Problems
In the above thread is the place I got mine from and it did come with a warranty.

Members online

No members online now.
Back