Smoking after changing the belt

Larry85326

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I am the proud owner of not 1 not 2 but 3 LSes a 01 that is almost showroom a 02 LSE that also is almost showroom and a 04 V6 that has seen better days but still is a LS I love these cars and I treat them with respect and care for them like the need to be but last night my 01 with a 3.9 V8 didn't love me back.
I was on my way home about 50 miles and I broke the belt I managed to get one and got it on but as soon as I fired her up I got smoke that smells like burning paper coming from down by the fan. It don't seem right to me because I had no paper there and it didn't run long enough to burn anything not even get hot.any help would be great as this is my daily driver.may I will go down this morning and the gremlins may have fixed it for me but all the same I can really use a little help here. I know a few you guys on here know a whole lot about these cars and I'm reaching out to you. Please help thank you so much .

Hey everyone I am the proud owner of not 1 not 2 but 3 LSes a 01 that is almost showroom a 02 LSE that also is almost showroom and a 04 V6 that has seen better days but still is a LS I love these cars and I treat them with respect and care for them like the need to be but last night my 01 with a 3.9 V8 didn't love me back.
I was on my way home about 50 miles and I broke the belt I managed to get one and got it on but as soon as I fired her up I got smoke that smells like burning paper coming from down by the fan. It don't seem right to me because I had no paper there and it didn't run long enough to burn anything not even get hot.any help would be great as this is my daily driver.may I will go down this morning and the gremlins may have fixed it for me but all the same I can really use a little help here. I know a few you guys on here know a whole lot about these cars and I'm reaching out to you. Please help thank you so much .

Maybe one of the pulleys is locking up

Yes, take the belt off and check each pulley to see if it turns easily. If they all do, then put the belt back on and turn the climate control off. If there is no burning then, your AC compressor is locked up. If it is, the compressor, condenser, and dryer will have to be replaced, and the lines, expansion valve, and evaporator flushed.

If it's not a pulley or compressor, then look very closely at the damper pulley to see if it is coming apart.

Yup...

Most likely one of your idler or tensioner pulleys had a bearing go out... and the pulley is not rotating... even though the belt may be spinning.

The "paper" smell... is most likely rubber burning as the belt rubs on the non rotating pulley.

Yup...

Most likely one of your idler or tensioner pulleys had a bearing go out... and the pulley is not rotating... even though the belt may be spinning.

The "paper" smell... is most likely rubber burning as the belt rubs on the non rotating pulley.
Which is a reason I prefer to change them while they are still working so they don't give up the ghost at a bad time! Seeing this threat makes me feel better about having mine changed today along with my other things.

Yea I'd guess a pulley locked up and that's what took out the first belt also.

Since the issue is on a Gen 1 LS... it's possible that the hydraulic pump for the cooling fan went on a permanent vacation. They are known to fail.

Thank you all so much for the fast reply and all the help and advice .shortly after posting I did go and take things apart and replaced any pillows I could purchase and I am looking for a A/C compressor now as that has locked up.
I hate to do it but I do have a new compressor on my 04 but it has a V6. What are the chances of that fitting my 01 V8?

Nope, different compressor for the v6 than the V8.
If you don't replace the other parts and flush it to, the new compressor will quickly die.

Thank you all for the your very correct advice after posting this thread I went ahead and started pulling it all apart to find out that the A/C clutch froze but still replaced all the pullys as I could get my hands on

If you don't replace the other parts and flush it to, the new compressor will quickly die.
I figured as much V6 is new was just hoping to save a boat load of money

Anybody have a compressor for sale near phoenix shoot any LS for that matter a buddy of mine want to own 1 of each year LS made love these cars

I'm very sorry if I'm offending any one but I sat and looked at both the V6 and the V8 compressors and they look very much the same and it bolted right in place I'm not saying I told you so or anything of that nature I'm only saying that I like always have that odd ball were things work please don't be offended it only bolts up and looks like it will I still have not started the car so I still may be wrong myself
I have been trying to up load a photo of the 2 side by side but seem to have a issue there but if I can I will send a picture sorry again

66922d1388499127-s-type-r-ac-compressor-leaking-common-c-compressor.jpg

bolt sleeve is longer

you can buy a used compressor from any v8 ls or stype for like 100 bucks, rebuilt china special same price. motorcraft is 350

Last edited:
I have gen2, looking for the $100 one, ha, thanks
I am a big believer you get what you pay for... I am not a big fan of any used compressors or any of that China crap! And used is a risky chance as these compressors start to have issues over time. I sure would not want to risk something cheap failing and then having to take a dash out over a $100 compressor!

What other parts? I have that hissing sound which might just be that o-ring you were talking about for the scroll valve or whatever, do I have to do more parts than just the o-ring also? Or is that just cause his locked up so there's debris in the system now? Thanks

What other parts? I have that hissing sound which might just be that o-ring you were talking about for the scroll valve or whatever, do I have to do more parts than just the o-ring also? Or is that just cause his locked up so there's debris in the system now? Thanks
Drier, Condenser, and compressor for sure and flush the system. And pray the valve inside the dash is OK!

I am a big believer you get what you pay for... I am not a big fan of any used compressors or any of that China crap! And used is a risky chance as these compressors start to have issues over time. I sure would not want to risk something cheap failing and then having to take a dash out over a $100 compressor!
yeah you arent wrong but I've already spent three times in parts than i paid for the whole car so my enthusiasm for OEM parts is waning, ha! this car is going to be delegated to a weekend cruiser here shortly when I get my main vehicle back this weekend.

yeah you arent wrong but I've already spent three times in parts than i paid for the whole car so my enthusiasm for OEM parts is waning, ha! this car is going to be delegated to a weekend cruiser here shortly when I get my main vehicle back this weekend.
If the compressor is a junk one that you use and it fails your going to be spending much more to get it all going again is why I would be cautious with this one decision. I have used many used parts in my cars before over the years but a used compressor is a no-go for me for the obvious reasons! Spectra used to make a aftermarket one for the LS if I am not mistaken and if you can find it maybe you can save a little bit.

Members online

Back