smokin 92 ltc

eldrewado

LVC Member
Reaction score
ive got this 92 towncar that smokes sometimes the smell is really bad and the smoke has a blueish tint, as far as i know that means the rings are going bad. could it be anything else though? when i changed it the oil looked good but smelled bad. im goin to change the plugs because it could use it anyway.

any thoughts?

Blue seals indicated valve stem seals needing replacing... Oil is seeping by the seals causing the blue smoke... It is VERY common with earlier model TC years... Some people will scream to have them replaced, others(like me) say nah, leave it be and save yourself the money. I've been driving with blue smoke for 3 plus years and never had a problem, both emission wise and driving.

Change both the plugs and wires while you're at it and clean the MAF snecor too.

do you know, or know any one that knows, how to see if this is the case? how would u determine what the problem is?

92 Arizona Towncar said:
Blue seals indicated valve stem seals needing replacing... Oil is seeping by the seals causing the blue smoke... It is VERY common with earlier model TC years... Some people will scream to have them replaced, others(like me) say nah, leave it be and save yourself the money. I've been driving with blue smoke for 3 plus years and never had a problem, both emission wise and driving.

Change both the plugs and wires while you're at it and clean the MAF snecor too.

Ditto - Same issue on both my 90TC and my 92 Grand Marque (both departed).

Lincoln replaced the Valve stem seals under warranty at 45K and at 75K -after I bitched a lot. The Grand Marque went at 99K and was not a big deal to do, took a full weekend and a heads up gasket kit + valve stem seals and an EGR valve.

Note: The Lincoln dealer told me the seals failed because I used regular oil and went 5K between changes, not because of a design or material issue with the seals - yeah right. I had every recpt, I never go over even 3K and l aways use Mobil One on every vehicle I have. Once I provided the receipts ( I had to prove to them that they did the original valve stem job, just two years before) they agreed to do the second job.

Anyway the only way to tell for sure is to break the top half of the motor open and physically check the seals. If anyone else knows of a better way, please advise.

J

hey i replaced the spark plugs in the same fashion as in that spark plug thread(neat advice) and ive got some lucas oil stabilizer in it it no longer smokes or vibrates. seems ok now. thanks guys

Members online

Back