Smog thing

Htrlman1

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
What is the big hose coming off of the smog thing in front of the crank pulley. I noticed it goes to a can looking thing behind the drivers bumper and there is a relay I'm guessing for abs. I would like to get rid of the smog stuff on my 98 just don't want to mess anything up

It's the secondary air injection pump (smog pump). You can cut the lines and plug it. Would have to clear the codes afterwards. Should be a few articles floating around here about it.

Would have to clear the codes afterwards.

I might be wrong, but I don't ever recall getting a CEL when I removed the diverter valve in front of the crank and unplugged the air pump in the bumper. You will probably want to put a tack weld on the end of those metal lines or you will have an exhaust leak. The right way to do it is to weld the bungs shut on the exhaust manifolds where the lines screw into or find the proper size bolt to screw into the bung. That's easier said than done though which is why the remainder of those metal lines are still hanging there in my car. They were cut, pinched, and welded shut. I never thought to have that done when the headers were put in because at the time I didn't even know about it. The guy just put everything back in again.

ok, well i will start disassembling and see what happens. Why is there a relay attached where the big hose coming from the smog pump goes?

Just FYI, the smog pump does not really impact the car at all. In fact, it often improves fuel economy. Same with EGR. The only way to properly remove then is to follow with a tune.

The only way to properly remove then is to follow with a tune.

I don't think that is necessary. All it does is literally inject air into the exhaust to bring the catalytic converters to operating temperature in a short period of time.

I will leave it then, my first gen's always looked better down by the crank but ill just deal with it after all its not robbing me of any HP

I will leave it then, my first gen's always looked better down by the crank but ill just deal with it after all its not robbing me of any HP

Good choice. The only reason I removed the system is so that I can have easier access to the crank pulley when I decide to put underdrives on the car. Too bad, because I spent money on a brand new air pump when my old one was broken after a deer incident and then I ended up just unplugging the darn thing anyways when I deleted the diverter valve. LOL

can someone post a pic of the smog pump? what does it sit next to, on top of, under? I think mine in the new car isdisconnected, it was pulling a CEL so says the previous owner

can someone post a pic of the smog pump?

mb_jLv3okk0YOWe7prQdKoA.jpg

mz40ZTFb-AHsCdATKqdUYAQ.jpg

Located behind the front bumper cover on the driver's side.

mb_jLv3okk0YOWe7prQdKoA.jpg

mz40ZTFb-AHsCdATKqdUYAQ.jpg

so...if it's disconnected, and I'm not getting a CEL dtc code 0411 (yet) I wonder If I can pass emissions? I prolly WON'T get the code again since it's disconnected

Members online

Back