smell fuel

Asialee

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.. I got a quick question about my 04 LS V-8.. Why do I smell fuel when i Accelerate on the gas peddle ?? it doesn't happen if im just taking off from a stop light, it happens when I try to pass a car and really get on it to gain some speed.. like i said when im just driving normal speeds around town, i don't smell it.. :confused: Milage on the car is 42,315

I'd appreciate any input here TY !

Misfires (usually due to marginal COPs) can cause a gasoline smell, but I wouldn't think that you could smell it inside the car while moving more than a few MPH.
I' look closely in the engine bay for any fuel leaks at or near the fuel rail, and I'd check the fuel filter for leaks. I am assuming that you check engine light is not on. If it is on, there might be a problem with the evaporative emissions system.

No, the CEL is not on.. and it drives fine, I don't feel a stumble.. but lets say if i did, what does that mean ?? Also the fuel filter is located right beside the front drivers side, can i just crawl under the car and see for myself if it's loose or leaking fuel ??

You have the pull back the splash shield for the fuel filter..

If you did, that would be more evidence of marginal COP failure..

yea, I've had to replace coil # 3 and 4.. due to ETC fail mode

A lot of times it jumps around to the other coils so its best to replace all 8 together.

Yea, I took my car in to the dealership back when i was having problems with the ETC fail mode.. needless to say, my car ran like a champ that day and she passed the stress test with fly'n colors :rolleyes: So they wouldn't replace the coils.. I had my uncle replace the two that were needed.. So far, the car runs fine, except for the smell of gas when i Accelerate, I have to really get on it for that to happen tho.. as my for milage, 42,322

:give lol

Well they don't call them the stealership without reason.. ;)

I would just check for leaks (like around the o-rings at the injectors and fuel lines at any connections.. Also check overall condition of the lines) and if that all checks out, I wouldn't worry about it until you get a stumble or CEL.. :cool:

Yea, I took my car in to the dealership back when i was having problems with the ETC fail mode.. needless to say, my car ran like a champ that day and she passed the stress test with fly'n colors :rolleyes: So they wouldn't replace the coils.. I had my uncle replace the two that were needed.. So far, the car runs fine, except for the smell of gas when i Accelerate, I have to really get on it for that to happen tho.. as my for milage, 42,322

:give lol

I would suspect that they didn't really do the stress testing. It would have picked out the bad coils.

Well they don't call them the stealership without reason.. ;)

I would just check for leaks (like around the o-rings at the injectors and fuel lines at any connections.. Also check overall condition of the lines) and if that all checks out, I wouldn't worry about it until you get a stumble or CEL.. :cool:
I have no idea where to begin.. Heck, when you said o -ring, you could be talking about onion rings for all i know.. that should pretty much give you an idea that I'm a female ;) I will tho, pass this along to my uncle !!

I would suspect that they didn't really do the stress testing. It would have picked out the bad coils.
I watched them do a so called stress test for myself.. I'll try to explain what i seen the best i can :eek: The guy plugged in a cable in the same spot where you turn your check engine light off, as the car was running, he sat in the driver seat looking at a bunch of lines on his laptop. he said everything seem to be running normal blah blah blah.. he did that for about ah 30-45 mins. he even took it for a test drive and like i said before, the car ran like a champ that day, just my luck.. so they charged me $ 40.00 and sent me along my way !

I have no idea where to begin.. Heck, when you said o -ring, you could be talking about onion rings for all i know.. that should pretty much give you an idea that I'm a female ;) I will tho, pass this along to my uncle !!

Lol.. An O-Ring is a gasket that 'holds' the injector (thing that sprays fuel in the cylinder) in place and provides a seal..

I watched them do a so called stress test for myself.. I'll try to explain what i seen the best i can :eek: The guy plugged in a cable in the same spot where you turn your check engine light off, as the car was running, he sat in the driver seat looking at a bunch of lines on his laptop. he said everything seem to be running normal blah blah blah.. he did that for about ah 30-45 mins. he even took it for a test drive and like i said before, the car ran like a champ that day, just my luck.. so they charged me $ 40.00 and sent me along my way !

That's not a stress test.. He was checking for misfires.. I would say try a different dealer because this one didn't know what was going on.. The coils must be pulled to do a stress test..

That is not a stress test at all.

To do a stress test they have to take the coil covers off and hook an oscilloscope to each coil. It's pretty involved.

That is not a stress test at all.

To do a stress test they have to take the coil covers off and hook an oscilloscope to each coil. It's pretty involved.
I had a feeling you were going to tell me that ! So, Can i call up the dealership and request them to do the stress test seeing that the Coils are under warranty up till 100k miles ? Or will they give me a hard time, due to it being a alot of work for them ??

thanks everyone, I do appreciate all the help here :)

p.s. why would they check for misfires ?? does that anything to do with the coils ?

I had a feeling you were going to tell me that ! So, Can i call up the dealership and request them to do the stress test seeing that the Coils are under warranty up till 100k miles ? Or will they give me a hard time, due to it being a alot of work for them ??

thanks everyone, I do appreciate all the help here :)

I'd find another dealer.
Then print out and take these two documents with you.

http://www.allstatetrucks.com/Recalls/cust satisfaction recalls/07m07/R07M07 dealer bulletin.pdf

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/s420/2009-12-10_200445_02_Escape_COP_misfire_tsb05-22-08.pdf

Members online

Back