Smell By Rear Wheel

jcknotts

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am having an odd issue. When I stop from time to time, I smell what reminds me of a flat tire that you keep driving on. All my tires are OK. After more inspection, I figured out that the smell is coming from my rear driver's side wheel. I can only imagine it being the brakes but I don't know what. I used my parking brake for the first time ever yesterday, but I remembered to remove it before I drove again. Any help is greatly appreciated!

:Bang

im curious upon what a flat tire smells like after u keep driving on it.. i never had the pleasure of doing that. lol

Ah HAH!

It appears that the problem was a problem with my brakes. I have never used my e-brake before yesterday. I parked on a 45 degree hill and used it. Apparently those cables are succeptible to corrosion and from time to time get stuff keeping the brake on a little bit. It finally released this morning.

Hmmm, either use the parking brakes regularly or don't. Infrequent use can lead to them getting sticky and cause problems with the brake dragging.

You might also check your tire temperature and inflation. If you find one that is significantly hotter to the touch than the others, that could indicate an impending failure and would also cause that smell. DO NOT touch the brake disc after driving, that can be a major owie, think sizzling steak on the barbie sounds if you touch it. Just touch the sidewalls.

Low inflation can look normal but cause overheating which can cause failure. So use a reasonably accurate gauge, don't eyeball it.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

I'm gonna start using mine (just sucks the abs kicks in your still driving)LOL

I'm gonna start using mine (just sucks the abs kicks in your still driving)LOL J/K Well my friends mustang 02 v6 did the same thing but he was coming from daytona to orlando 55+miles @a speed of 75mph with the back brake locked a little bit= one red hot F***ed pair of rotors DUMBA$$ says he my brake were stickin on the way here??? i wonder why!!!!! :slam dumbA$$

Members online

Back