slowing mark viii turn signal down

87TTOPGT420

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Installed my sequential tail light kit today on my 93..everything is great, have running lights in trunk panel still and works fairly good...only problem im seeing is my mark viii turn signal flasher is flashing to fast and the the outer light (tail light) is only flashing for a split second before the sequence starts over...is there a way to slow the flasher down?? Its really bothering me, would i install a resistor or something on the flasher? Or? much help would be appreciated

Buy an adjustable flasher or change the res and/or cap in yours to slow it down...

I've never bought one, I know they are available though, try google?
To do it your self you need a variable pot (or different resistors), bigger caps to try. You need to open the flasher and test with different ones till you get it right...

Installed my sequential tail light kit today on my 93..everything is great, have running lights in trunk panel still and works fairly good...only problem im seeing is my mark viii turn signal flasher is flashing to fast and the the outer light (tail light) is only flashing for a split second before the sequence starts over...is there a way to slow the flasher down?? Its really bothering me, would i install a resistor or something on the flasher? Or? much help would be appreciated

If you figure this one out, let me know. I'd like to slow mine down too.

im a little confused....do i re-solder in a 500k ohm resistor or do i solder in the resistor and the variable adjuster...its kind of confusing...i dont care if its variable, aslong as its slowed down....would i just swap resistors? if thats the case, easy enough

You take the resistor off the board like step 3 mentions, and replace it with a variable pot resistor like mentioned in step 4.
Or you could use a fixed resistor instead of the pot, but it'd be trial and error getting it right then. The variable one would be best and easiest, especially if you added leds later or up front etc as it would be adjustable then :)

If you want to stick it under the flasher cover that one will be to big it looks like, depends how you want it set up...

well got it slowed down to decent pace that works and allows enough time for all the lights to get proper timing to light up....after trial and error with a few different resistors and 1 burnt out flasher...i went with a 178k ohm resistor, in place of the 100k Ohm resistor that our flashers come with so in turn, it was much easier going to a different resistor then finding the proper pot resistor (luckily work had a selection of resistors) after the car gets a good cleaning friday, i will post a short clip so you guys can see, thanks for all the help

Glad it worked, a clip would be great to see :)
Did you switch the bulbs to dual element ones/what did you use?

i used the 1157 style socket, running lights as it was before, which are perfect do not get nearly hot at all, and then i have the blinker and brake lights wired into the other part of the bulb...seriously considering some sort of LED setup...whether a bulb or someting custom not sure, but im just gonna enjoy this for now

I've been putting off a chase light (little different than sequential) setup for two years+ now because I'm afraid of melting the housings, I guess I should suck it up and just do it, eh? :D

well got it slowed down to decent pace that works and allows enough time for all the lights to get proper timing to light up....after trial and error with a few different resistors and 1 burnt out flasher...i went with a 178k ohm resistor, in place of the 100k Ohm resistor that our flashers come with so in turn, it was much easier going to a different resistor then finding the proper pot resistor (luckily work had a selection of resistors) after the car gets a good cleaning friday, i will post a short clip so you guys can see, thanks for all the help

Need to see a video of this! And thank you two for doing all the legwork!

At no time did I hear you say "That kicks ass". Don't you know the protocol??!?! HEhe.

That's the speed I am looking for. Will be soldering up a flasher this week.

OK, pulled out my flasher relay and had a look at it. I didn't have anything other than 100 kohm resistors laying around the arcade so I just soldered two of them in serial.

The result is EXACTLY what I wanted. A big thanks to 87TTOPGT420 and Icarus for doing all the leg work and research on this.

Members online

Back