Slight vibration/stutter

TonyLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2004 V6 with about 7000 miles. It seems when the engine is hot and it's very cold out I'll feel a SLIGHT vibration/stutter when stopped at a red light with the transmission in drive. When I put the transmission in Nuetral or Park the vibration/stuffer goes away. Sometimes I won't feel the vibration/stutter but can get it to occur by putting on the rear-window defroster, again only when stopped but in DRIVE. I believe when the vibration occurs the idle is ~600, the times when the vibration isn't there the idle is a bit higher ~850.

The dealer didn't see any specific codes, they told me that they re-calibrated the part that governs the idle (forgot what that's called). But that didn't fix the problem.

Any ideas? Is this a sympton of the misfire issue that some people are writing about? I haven't noticed anything at 40 to 50 mph as some people have, but will pay more attention to it on the ride home tonight.

I'm bringing the car in for the transmission re-call, I'll have them look at the vibration/stutter issue again.

As always Thanks for the great info!

:feedback

Sounds like a possible motor mount problem... Have them check your mounts.

TonyLS said:
When I put the transmission in Nuetral or Park the vibration/stuffer goes away. Sometimes I won't feel the vibration/stutter but can get it to occur by putting on the rear-window defroster, again only when stopped but in DRIVE.
:feedback

Anyone know if the AC compressor kicks on when the rear defrost is activated?

I know that on my 04 if I enable the auto climate control at any temperature the AC light comes on telling that the compressor could come on at any time.

Just trying to see if there could be any connection between the AC compressor running and the vibration you're feeling.

I doubt the rear defrost would trigger it... front should, along with climate control. Let's see what happens when he comes back from the tranny recal.

Brought the LS to the dealer yesterday for the transmission fluid recall and the slight vibration/stutter problem. I went on a test drive with the shop forum, I showed him that the vibration is worse when the engine is under load with the rear window defroster on. (most times it will only vibrate when the defroster is on). I was glad to get him to experience the problem, that's 1/2 the battle.

So they gave me a new sable as a loaner (we had a snow storm here and wanted a front rear drive, I have 4 nice snow tires on my LS). Wouldn't you know it...the damn sable does the same thing during the exact same conditions, stopped while in drive with the defroster on! At this point I figured it's inherit with the ford V6 designs.

Got a call from the dealer at the end of the day, and sure enough they told me that this not a problem and is inherit of the design. "Condition is normal characteristic of vehicle".

The shop forum told me that he felt the same vibration on a new LS on his lot, guess he was curious. He also had lots of time on his hands, slow day because of the snow storm I guess.

They also checked the engine and trany mounts and the chassis.

Guess I'll have to live with this.

But I still love this car, rides and handles great. Since I traveled the same route to work with the sable I was able to compare riding characteristics between the two cars. What a huge difference in ride quality, LS has it over the sable regarding a luxury type ride. Couldn't believe the sloppy ride of the sable with 1200 miles on it!

Glad to hear disaster has been averted. Sorry to hear that it is normal though.

Members online

No members online now.
Back