Sleeper

lincoln_mk8

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, as everyone knows, the Mark VIII by nature is a sleeper. It looks like (as my cynnical friend puts it) a granny car to the untrained eye, which I have constantly disproved to him, because I adore the sleek and elegant stylings of the car and am always looking out for subtle sporty improvments for the exterior and interior.

I think the 4.6L 281ci DOHC V8 engine is a real kick in the pants when you know how to open her up proper. :) Of course, as lots of people in here have mentioned, you can (and lots of people HAVE) taken their Mark VIII's out on drag strips and come out champions. I haven't had the pleasure of doing that myself, but I soon will. :)

On the road I see many cars that have the fast bright look. They're all sooped up and have an angry stance on the road. I see them tearing up the road, which is fine and all, but I think it's too flamboyant, too boasting; especially those annoying little rice burners. I have little respect for these wildcats out there because they wear their speed-demon chips on their shoulders for all to see.

What I have much more respect for are those unsuspecting rides out there that look completely unassuming. They have little-to-no outer appearance changes (usually aside from the typical 2-4" drop and a skirt kit or sports body kit). But under the hood, HOLY SH*TBALLS. Yeah. These cars I have much respect for. They dont show off what they can do. They are (drum roll) The Sleepers. In the fashion of some of these understated rulers of the road, I would like to do the same to my 1994 Mark VIII.

I can remember seeing my first 1995 Mark VIII back in 96. It was absolutely GORGEOUS. It was owned by an older gentleman, sleek Onyx black paint, jet black leather interior. It was a true gem and I instantly fell in love. Of course, I had no idea what was under the hood until I looked up the specs of the car. Well, since then I've purchased my 1994 Mark VIII and it hasn't disappointed me in the least. In fact, the only thing I've had problems with is finding performance parts for it.

I've tried looking for performance parts at different online Lincoln performance sites but I just can't seem to find exactly what Im looking for. For instance, the skirts on this one car - http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/images_marks/ponyfreak.jpg
They make the car look really nice (that's a personal preference of course) and the lowered suspension gives the car a more aggressive stance (I hate those rims, tho) Where can I find skirts like that for my car? How can I lower my car like that with the air bag suspension? Or do I need to get one of those Arnott Inc. spring conversion kits to drop it properly?

Second thing is the dashboard and instrument cluster. I hate the black background and white numbers; which are the standard dash colors for this car. I would like the reverse like this - http://www.uprproducts.com/images/parts/all/gauge_animation/99_03_V8_150_6750K_RI_LRG.gif
Where can I find this for my Mark VIII?

I was also pondering how I could replace the center computer screen with a color screen that includes GPS Navigation or something like that. I figured I'd call Lincoln or a salvage yeard and order one from a Navigator or Aviator or LS or something and get schematics to see about integrating it in my car and placing it in the same place as the existing old green colored led screen. What do you guys think? Can it be feasably done?

Another mod I want to do is replace the wood trim for my car. I have real wood in my car which was there when I bought it. I dont know if that's standard or not, but it was there. It's getting old and I'd like to replace it. Im not sure what I want to do. I was thinking about either replacing the wood with the same wood, different kind of wood, or replacing the wood with aluminum trim. I think that would really clean up the dash and center console. What do you guys think?

More mods I'd like to have a list of (with prices) are engine mods. I've got the standard 4.6L 281ci V8, which is pretty powerful, but I feel as though it's having a hard time breathing, like something's hindering it; holding it back like a muffled pitt bull. What can I do to the engine without having to mod the hood and keep the car street legal? Remember, I want to create a Sleeper, so I dont want to give away too much of what's hiding under the hood. Someone mentioned induction of some kind. Is that like ram air? How about adding an Icebox to replace the plastic air filter box? Do those work? And what about mass air something or other?

Im still new to all this, but I really really love my Mark VIII and I really want to dress her up and open that engine up too.

Any suggestions (with pics if possible) will be greatly appreciated.
:Beer

oh yeah, I forgot to mention steering wheel leather re-wrap or a possible custom center piece. I was thinking about maybe getting a small lincoln emblem (indentical to the red one on the front grill) and putting a light behind the red part and wiring it up to the parking light switch or soemthing; and replacing the embossed emblen on the center of the steering wheel. Maybe add some aluninum highlights here and there, or wood, if I go with the wood trim again.

Was thinking about doing something similar to the front and rear lincoln emblems where they light up with the parking lights. I also want to get a pair of those nice metal cobra decals to put on either side of the car for that hint of growl in the appearance.

Thoughts? :)

hmmm - i don't know if i would call a mark viii a sleeper - on the one hand, people do consider it an old person's car, but on the other, it's a 2 door luxury coupe, and ford's high technology platform.

The reason i am mentioning this is because I own a somewhat crazy sleeper. It's a 1986 baby blue LTD station wagon with a full 1993 mustang 5.0 drivetrain. No one sees that coming.

7.jpg

lincoln_mk8 said:
Thoughts? :)

Ground effects are rare but available... http://www.sleepyvalley.com/carkt.html - I think a sponsor here sells them as well.

As far as lowering, there is so much that can be done with the air suspension, from slightly lowered via the height adjusters, lowering with relocation of the height adjusters, override controls and even fast bag modifications to the OEM system.

IMHO, replacing the message center with a GPS system would be messy and extremely expensive. Search for aftermarket systems integrated with the stereo to fit in the DIN radio opening with a pop out LCD display. Still pricey but more functional IMHO and a lot cleaner install and integration with the car.

The wood trim is a personal preference. Many options are available from stripping and painting to match/contrast to appliques that resemble different woods, carbon fiber or even brushed aluminum.

Engine mods? You can't mod these things. :N :joke

A lot of reading is in store for you. :Beer I have simple bolt-ons but many others have went to fully race built power plants complete with power adders such as superchargers, turbos or nitrous.

Click the link in my sig, view my photo garage, profile or homepage for some milder ideas.

Have fun. :steering

Yes the sleepy valley kit is the one we sell. The Guy is a total loser wack job who owns the place and BEAT me on the last kit we got or should I say NEVER got. I have to sue this idiot now because 4 months ago I paid him for a kit that was never shipped, and it was excuses after excuse and to this day the customer still never recieved his product. The guy wont even accept incoming phone calls from anyone. BEWARE OF THIS CLOWN!!!

Heres my favorite sleeper. Walts car from Lincolnmotorsport N/A and stock engine 13.70 @102, they never know what hit them! LOL!

waltplainlaunch.jpg

Love The Spolier Kit On Ponyfreaks...is That The Gfx..or Someone Else Kit...almost Picked Up A Kit On Ebay...but Glad I Didnt....

Punisher has a cool kit on his car. But I think he said it was a custom job.

markfront1.JPG

Members online

No members online now.
Back