Size of rear end gears

danny_holtermann

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I am looking at putting 3.73 limited slip or posi in my 94 mark VIII but don't know what size it is can anyone tell me the size

I am looking at putting 3.73 limited slip or posi in my 94 mark VIII but don't know what size it is can anyone tell me the size

Yes our cars take the same 8.8 rear gear as any ford ( I recommend Ford Racing gears, if you don't have any so far, they are made by sterling to a very high quality) If you are replacing the differential to a POSI or Limited Slip, make sure it is made for IRS. It must have a groove to retain the half shafts, other wise you have to machine one in (Not fun or cheap), The 28 spline auburn diff has the groove, the 31 spline does not. (Factory shafts are 28 spline), when you upgrade the shafts the choices become more critical.

Been doing some homework. Thought I would say thank you, while simultaneously bumping this up.

Yes our cars take the same 8.8 rear gear as any ford ( I recommend Ford Racing gears, if you don't have any so far, they are made by sterling to a very high quality) If you are replacing the differential to a POSI or Limited Slip, make sure it is made for IRS. It must have a groove to retain the half shafts, other wise you have to machine one in (Not fun or cheap), The 28 spline auburn diff has the groove, the 31 spline does not. (Factory shafts are 28 spline), when you upgrade the shafts the choices become more critical.

I agree with FMS gears being the way to go. It would be better but not necessary to use an IRS traclok. Plenty of people have used a solid axle traclok with no issues. You just have to open up the rear to get the axles out.

Ford Racing gears now made by Motive and repackaged and marked up in price. Get Motive gears and save your self some money.

There is no grove either.

Its a 30 degree taper on the inside edge of the Splines of the spider gears. Any one with a Lathe could get it done in a few minutes.

there is a step as in this pic

traction-lok.gif

Ford Racing gears now made by Motive and repackaged and marked up in price. Get Motive gears and save your self some money.

for does still make gears the ford part number ending in M is made by motive the
ford part number ending in A is made by ford

Members online

Back