Size 65 battery?

tristangoesham

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding a size 66 battery that's affordable/available. I called a battery place and they said a size 65 would work for a car that takes a size 66. Anyone used a size 65 in their LS?

The problem is the vent connection. Group 66 batteries have a connection for a vent tube to connect to. This means that if/when the battery vents hydrogen, the vent hose carries it out of the trunk. You wouldn't want the trunk (which vents directly into the cabin) to be filled with hydrogen where a spark might ignite it.

Group 66 batteries sometime have two vent connections. In that case you would have to determine if you could plug one off, or if both are required (add a 2nd vent hose?). Other group 66 batteries have no vent connection at all, meaning that they would just vent into the trunk and cabin. If you aren't worried about fire and explosion, then you might still have some concern for the damage that corrosive battery gases might do to the electronics in the trunk.

They should have said that group 65 will fit where a group 66 is called for, not that it would "work" or be safe.

Battery pricing at the dealer actually isn't that bad. Comparable to any higher quality battery. Give them a call.

Battery pricing at the dealer actually isn't that bad. Comparable to any higher quality battery. Give them a call.

yep, I just had to replace my battery a few months ago. Got it from the local Ford dealer for under $140 with exchange and sales tax. The factory battery was replaced in February 2010, the second battery lasted 9 years 7 months replaced in September 2019. This third battery will likely outlast the car.

Last edited:
yep, I just had to replace by battery a few months ago. Got it from the local Ford dealer of under $140 with exchange and sales tax. The factory battery was replaced in February 2010, the second battery lasted 9 years 7 months replaced in September 2019. This third battery will likely outlast the car.

Battery life span these days is about 3 years. My wifes pacifica of 14 years never had a battery last more than three and several of them were Interstate. I just lost my factory Jeep Wrangler battery at 2.5 years.

20 years ago I had a Interstate last 7 years. Haven't repeated that since.

Just go to the dealer and pay the money for a good battery. The original lasted 7 years in my LS... and the replacement OEM that is in there now will be 9 years old in May 2020.

There are 2 different batteries available through the dealer. Buy the more expensive one. It has more CCA's. If you ask for a discount, they will probably give you a percentage off of it.

I think the battery life in an LS is longer than "normal" because the battery is located in the trunk away from the high heat and wide temperature fluctuations.

I think the battery life in an LS is longer than "normal" because the battery is located in the trunk away from the high heat and wide temperature fluctuations.

Here in the south, apparently it still gets hot enough in the trunk that they only last three or four years.

I just bought a #65 battery yesterday for my LS from O’reilly’s Auto. They had two different ones. One with a 2 year warranty and one with a 3 year warranty. It fit into the car perfectly. Even the vent tube fit nicely.

New Motorcraft battery installed today. Old one was 6.5 years old by the date sticker. Much better life than the Interstate and Autozone batteries that I have purchased for my other vehicles in the last 15 years. Also cheaper than Orielly's and Autozone.

I just bought a #65 battery yesterday for my LS from O’reilly’s Auto. They had two different ones. One with a 2 year warranty and one with a 3 year warranty. It fit into the car perfectly. Even the vent tube fit nicely.

Note that parts store batteries usually have TWO vents - one on each side of the lid. Did yours? I suppose you can cap/seal/glue the open one, but I don't know if that would then just seal half the cells.

...I suppose you can cap/seal/glue the open one, but I don't know if that would then just seal half the cells.

My concern too. I suppose you could blow into one and see if it the air came out the other one. If so, you'd be okay to seal one and use the other. Otherwise, get some more tubing and a tee coupling and connect both vents.

Members online

No members online now.
Back