Sirius SAT on 03

strapp

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Can you add factory Sirius SAT to an 03 w/ navigation?

Can they easily swap a newer (04+) in an 03? My unit is acting a little funny.

strapp said:
Can they easily swap a newer (04+) in an 03? My unit is acting a little funny.
Nope. There was a harness change in '04 (which seems to have coincided with the addition of the SAT function on the radio), and there are no adapters to go between them.

I don't know if you could cut and splice to get the '04 head unit to work in an '03; some of the signals going to the head unit appear to be data signals, so it may not be that simple...

is this a software upgrade, since SAT is on the touchscreen?

mint05LS said:
is this a software upgrade, since SAT is on the touchscreen?
I believe there is some sort of firmware update for the NAV systems that predate the introduction of the Lincoln Sirius unit. For those coming after, I am given to understand that merely connecting the aforementioned Sirius unit will cause the button to appear.

For those of us with the Audiophile system, the button is a physical button, and it's either there or not.

My understanding is that some 03's can be made "satellite" compatible with a software upgrade and some can't.

I would say the early builds (like mine) are unlikely to be upgradeable.

Kelleyo said:
My understanding is that some 03's can be made "satellite" compatible with a software upgrade and some can't.

I would say the early builds (like mine) are unlikely to be upgradeable.

Where did you hear that it might be possible?

I believe all the NAV units were upgradeble to sat if you get the flash update from the dealer. Did some work on mine, I don't believe there was any harness change mid year.

i think beups is right, the only difference is the software, some one here had the same issue and i think it was a tech from panasonic stumbled onto the software upgrade cd/dvd and upgraded the head unit - i dont remember wich member it was i thought it was you BEAUPS on a previus post.....

beaups said:
I believe all the NAV units were upgradeble to sat if you get the flash update from the dealer. Did some work on mine, I don't believe there was any harness change mid year.
Well, since I know someone who ran into the harness problem (his predated the change), I'm pretty sure there was a harness change. Note that I did not say that the harness change was a part of the Sirius package, just that the change appears to have coincided with the introduction of the Sirius unit.

I'm going to order one soon so I'll let you know. I have a VERY early 03 w/nav.

I can tell you a few things. 1.) the service manual shows only one harness package for this radio. 2.) I spent ten hours at a pioneer repair shop (long story) getting my radio reflashed due to some other issues and he said this unit was sat ready w/the upgrade. 3.) in the service menu it says "sat - not installed". 4.) holly (that's the nav lady:)) responds to some sat specific commands.

I'll be the guinnea pig. just waiting for the right deal:)

And the head unit is manufactured by pioneer. The "brains" of the unit are in the trunk and mfr'd by denso. According to the pioneer repair shop (and they had SEVERAL of these on their bench) there were no physical changes to this unit from it's inception to even the last 06 unit.

BEAUPS it was you i thought it was panasonic but your right its pionner i so i guess all he needs a the same software upgrade that you had and he should be SAT ready

SoonerLS said:
Well, since I know someone who ran into the harness problem (his predated the change), I'm pretty sure there was a harness change. Note that I did not say that the harness change was a part of the Sirius package, just that the change appears to have coincided with the introduction of the Sirius unit.
Lastly, I would suspect the harness problem would come from ordering the wrong kit. There is a separate kit for radios w/"Aux" button and radios w/"sat" button and radios w/and w/out dvd video. I doubt is has anything to do w/when his car was made and more to do w/getting the wrong kit. but like I said I'll be the guinnea pig soon.

beaups said:
I'm going to order one soon so I'll let you know. I have a VERY early 03 w/nav.

I can tell you a few things. 1.) the service manual shows only one harness package for this radio. 2.) I spent ten hours at a pioneer repair shop (long story) getting my radio reflashed due to some other issues and he said this unit was sat ready w/the upgrade. 3.) in the service menu it says "sat - not installed". 4.) holly (that's the nav lady:)) responds to some sat specific commands.

I'll be the guinnea pig. just waiting for the right deal:)

What all is needed to do this?

do search for "ford sirius" on ebay. There's a kit, read descriptions CAREFULLY. You want the kit for radios w/SAT button and no DVD video.

and the dealer handles the flash upgrade normally.

so for an 03 with nav you NEED to have a SAT button? bc i cant find one.... Is that the only way it upgradeable?

well i talked to a service advisor in ford and he gave me a number to a company that takes care of software issues. The man on the phone said that i have to call back with the engineering code that is ON the navigation it self. So you have to pull the navigation to get the code. Has anyone here ever pulled this navigation out? it looks to me like its all one piece?

I got a definitive answer about my unit. I was in for service for my non-working head unit. when they replaced the unit I had them give me the part number(3W4T-18K931-AL). I was emailed instructions on updating the head unit. It listed all the head units that this can be done to. Apparently units ending in AL can not be programmed for SAT. My car was made in 02/03...maybe those with cars made later in the year will be able to upgrade.
Good luck.

When I go into service menu mine says "3w4t-18k931-a?" yep a question mark lol. I bought the receive, I'll let you know how it goes!

Members online

No members online now.
Back