sipped tires

mach8

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with sipped tires, good, bad, or indifferent? They say it gives you better traction and your tires will run cooler. It seems to be the same kind of thing they do for deck shoes to reduce slipping. Eleven bucks a tire around here.

To Sipe Or Not To Sipe?

mach8 said:
Anyone have any experience with sipped tires, good, bad, or indifferent? They say it gives you better traction and your tires will run cooler. It seems to be the same kind of thing they do for deck shoes to reduce slipping. Eleven bucks a tire around here.

Back in November I bought a set of Goodyear Eagle GS tires at the local Discount Tire. They ended up giving me a really good deal, but I did hesitate just before the salesman thought he closed the deal. I had heard that the GS was not a great tire, so I told him that. When he offered to throw in siping for free, I decided to go for it.

I have found that it really does make a difference. Dry traction is better, it is much harder to unhook the rears under hard accelleration. Wet and snow traction seems better than with the Michelins that I had before. They are a little noisy on smooth, wet pavement, but I just crank up the tunes! Since some places will throw in siping to close the deal on a new set of tires, push a little and see what happens.

I had it done a while back, performance increased but they wore a lot quicker than normal, or maybe it was just my lead foot!

codewize said:
Alright, what is sipping?

Siping is cutting extra grooves in the tread to improve traction and supposedly to help the tread to clear better from rain and snow. The grooves are more like razor cuts that allow the tread blocks to flex better.

Jibit said:
I had it done a while back, performance increased but they wore a lot quicker than normal, or maybe it was just my lead foot!

Local chain says they'll warranty the tire for the full manufacturer milage rating if they sipe it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back