Silly fuel pump assembly question

It's loosely regulated relative to intake manifold vacuum, so that sounds reasonable.

When running fine, here is a screen shot of my '03.

fullsizeoutput_2bd.jpeg

Added in one (Different setup) to show relative to MAP

fullsizeoutput_2a7.jpeg

So, it is about 67 degrees. It took her out on the expressway and was driving between 65-70. The fuel pressure was always the same. Between 39-41-ish psi. Judging by the graphs above, mine seems low. Also, I had a U code about not being able to communicate with my fuel pump. Not sure if that's from the troubleshooting we were doing earlier this week so I cleared the codes and we will see if it comes back.

...Also, I had a U code about not being able to communicate with my fuel pump. Not sure if that's from the troubleshooting we were doing earlier this week so I cleared the codes and we will see if it comes back.

Actually, it is a communications problem with the fuel pump driver electronics, which are in the REM. The fuel pump itself is just a "dumb" motor.

Actually, it is a communications problem with the fuel pump driver electronics, which are in the REM. The fuel pump itself is just a "dumb" motor.
Thank you. I will see if it comes back.

As far as fuel pressure, how do I know if it's low? Is it fair to compare it to the output from TooManyToys? Different cars, different environments, etc.

Thank you. I will see if it comes back.

As far as fuel pressure, how do I know if it's low? Is it fair to compare it to the output from TooManyToys? Different cars, different environments, etc.

I think you'd need to compare it to the MAP. As to if it's actually low, I'd look at the long term fuel trims.

The majority of the time mine stays in the mid 50’s range without much variation to map as seen a few post up. Today I had a 40 mile highway round trip so I grabbed some more images. I tightened up the min-max levels for the fuel pressure.

This is a taking off from a stoplight accelerating up to 40mph.

CB45E98A-A838-4AE1-948D-EF198E03D2CC.png

Later running at 65, level ground.

049F76A1-6801-4763-8EBF-3370C95B203F.png

Accelerating around traffic, 65.

71DD7C4F-5BEE-4235-AFFF-A7ACA83BFD4A.png

This typically happens coming off a Parkway with coast down on an exit ramp, fuel pressure spikes up, then recovers. Accelerated as it was a yield, not a stop.

9E95A643-6C9F-441B-854D-EB0DA22D5CF8.png

And then sometimes there is this. After the above I shut down and went into a store. Driving after restart pressure can be a little higher and it tracks with map, just as Joe stated. It will do this until another shutdown.

7E741C61-A69C-4341-B603-C27F57BF1F8D.png

Once in the driveway at idle in neutral the pressure graph is pretty steady.

4ADF85EC-E7B8-43ED-B025-29A49F4B4A75.png

So it seems that my pressure acts the same way (consistent, may spike when slowing) but it is a LOT lower than yours.

I will just have to keep an eye in it.

What I don’t know is if your Gen1 (I believe that’s what you have) has a different spec then my ‘03.

What I don’t know is if your Gen1 (I believe that’s what you have) has a different spec then my ‘03.

It seems like it might. I wouldn't be surprised if the air assist injectors that the 1st gen uses, need different fuel pressures.

I bought the 5-year alldata subscription. It says 39-65psi. Mine seems to be just on the edge when running normal. Does anyone else on a gen 1 know what their normal operating fuel pressure psi is?

Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.
Back