Sifrino: Engine, Heads, Etc. . .

Sifrino3

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
First off, I was just going to buy a crate engine. But I got to keep the price tag spaced out. So, then I wanted to buy a complete stock engine. So, I could take it apart and gain knowledge about engines. But I got a good price on an 88' Mustang block. No heads, but everything below. Is there anything that I should look for? I want to build a strong bottom end. Something that can handle the power I want.

Also, it looks like I will be going with Ford Racing M-6049-Y303 Heads. I was woundering whats a good camshaft I should use? I really want a street car. But strip on the weekends. I want to be into the mid 13s - mid 14 on motor. S/C is what I would like in the future. 6 - 9 psi, nothing big. I am keeping the nitrous. (For the Strip) Something small, like a 50 or 75 shot.

Anytips would be awesome. This is the first engine im going heads up into. I do not have a time line. I would like to just take my time and go through it. But if Sifrino's tranny goes out. I may want to pick up speed. A T5Z will be added to this engine.

Nothing is final yet. Any Comments will be considered. . .

i like Anderson cams....mid range power will be your need since these cars are heavy. IF you pick top end power, the other guy will pass you sooner while you are busy wrapping RPM to find power. Don't forget a good converter to use with cam. Also check out t-bird/cougar owners (TCCOA) for good cam options since they build these cars MUCH more than we lincoln guys do.

SilverFox said:
i like Anderson cams....mid range power will be your need since these cars are heavy. IF you pick top end power, the other guy will pass you sooner while you are busy wrapping RPM to find power. Don't forget a good converter to use with cam. Also check out t-bird/cougar owners (TCCOA) for good cam options since they build these cars MUCH more than we lincoln guys do.

Well, I want an all around camshaft. Because I want it to drive nice on the street. I will also be droping in a T5. So, no worries on the TC! I may also drop a s/c with the engine. I really like BMCLSC. (I believe that is right) He has a nice set up. Everything I want, he gots and it looks good! But unlike him, im not going with a crate motor. So, we will see. . .

Sifrino3 said:
Well, I want an all around camshaft. Because I want it to drive nice on the street. I will also be droping in a T5. So, no worries on the TC! I may also drop a s/c with the engine. I really like BMCLSC. (I believe that is right) He has a nice set up. Everything I want, he gots and it looks good! But unlike him, im not going with a crate motor. So, we will see. . .

LOL....that is not a good way to make friends...misspelling the name. It is
"BMNLSC".

I wrote you back via email.

BMN

bmnlsc said:
LOL....that is not a good way to make friends...misspelling the name. It is
"BMNLSC".

I wrote you back via email.

BMN

I could not remeber right off the top of my head. Sorry for the miss spell!

Thanks

andeson cams are a ripoff...this is coming from someone who's owned one

If you're going to rebuild a 302 you might as well stroke it...if you want a stout rotating assembly contact Brian at www.adperformance.com and tell him that Mat from MustangCentral.net sent ya. The price of a budget, stock type rebuild is damn near that of a cast crank/i beam rod stroker.

Check the shortblock over for any sign of detonation or mistreatment...excessive sludge and so on.

If you want a custom cam call Neil Erickson www.mustangcentral.net/neil/contact.html but if you just want a cheap, all around camshaft go with a tfs stage 1 for $150

As for heads/intake...the sky is the limit! How much do you want to spend? Ported gt40p's are excellent street/strip heads on a budget. Used twisted wedge heads are great bang for the buck. AFR 165's are your best bet to get the most out of a 302/331 combo

As far as the camshaft goes, remember that if you're going much over the stock grind you're going to have to switch from speed density to mass air.

the best way to get whatu want is to take a look in the ford motor sport magazine thats what im ordering all mine from.

Members online

Back