Sideways and Back

PenGun

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I fairly often get my cars sideways a bit, from too much acceleration and not enough traction. I usually have little trouble getting everything back straight again and rather enjoy it.

Took the mark out in the rain today and put down a bit too much power pulling out onto the highway. Got sideways then back, then past, then back etc. I don't do that kind of thing normally. a waggle or two and we are back.

So I got to thinking, was I just almost screwed by the steering trickery? I have enough speed on the rear end to convince the ECU to back off on the steering ratio and then I do a high acceleration steering maneuver which, I have read, puts the quicker ratio back.

I think I would like to turn that off and go get sideways again, just to see if I am losing my grip, if nothing else.

not ratio. variable hydraulic assist.
i never really noticed a difference anywhere but the highway personally.

not ratio. variable hydraulic assist.
i never really noticed a difference anywhere but the highway personally.

True. I meant assist. There is this explanation:

"Once the steering wheel rotation rate reaches 22 rpm and greater, the output current to the power steering control valve actuator is reduced and greater power steering assist is provided.
After the steering wheel rotation rate drops below 22 rpm, the output current returns to the amount of current regulated by the speed sensor input within one second."

I tend to slam it back and fourth till we straight, I guess it could have something to do with it. I may just be getting old and slow.

Members online

No members online now.
Back