Shutter Coil Pack?

RequestingFlyBy

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have a 2000 LS with 93k miles. I bought it in 2005 with 54k and the dealer changed all the coil packs under warranty and I replaced the valve covers all within 5 months of purchase. I never had a code or check engine light from them either. Recently, I have had the shutter between 40-50 mph like I did when all the others went bad. Still no codes. Is it possible for the new ones to go bad again? I thought that once I replaced them with the new design I should be good.

How do I make sure that it's a coil pack and how do I know which one it is if it hasn't given me a code? Is there anything else that could cause this? I can take it to my mechanic, but I like to do repairs myself if they are reasonable. Thanks for all help and responses.

Technically these cars aren't equipped with what are called "coil packs". A coil pack is a group of coils made as a single unit. These cars use Coil on Plug units. They are a single coil and not a pack of coils.

Beyond taking the coils to a dealership of load testing, I know of no way of finding an intermittantly failing coil unit. Most guys tend to replace them all. I've used process of elimination before, buy one or two coils and swap them around and rate for better or worse on the issue you are having.

If your not getting any codes it's kind of a crapshoot as to which coil is missing, if it is. Like what was said earlier, there is no coil pack, we have coils right on our plugs. So your going to have to take off the cover and check each coil for oil etc.

Alright I have a few more questions about this whole thing. So the coils don't last that long? I don't understand if the valve covers were bad and causing oil to go into the coils and misfire, then the VCG were replaced along with all the coils, Why are the coils going bad again? If the VCG was fixed and oil doesn't get into the coils anymore they should be ok.

If I pull the coils and check for oil, how do I remove the oil from the well? If I just replace it with the new coil and there is still oil, I will have the same problem.

I do appreciate all the help and responses. I just don't want to take it to the shop and spend $300+ each time a coil goes bad.....again. Is this going to be a normal repair for the remainder of the car? Thanks.

Mike

If I pull the coils and check for oil, how do I remove the oil from the well? If I just replace it with the new coil and there is still oil, I will have the same problem.

i used a small cheap siphon pump(from pep boys) to get most of the oil out. the rest i used paper towels like everyone else.

Members online

No members online now.
Back