Should I re-set my ECU ?

PaulJK

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I just got my 2003 LS 6 two weeks ago with 32k miles. I've put gas in it twice and got 22.3 mpg the first time (1/2 tank) and 25.6 the second time (1/2 tank). It then occurred to me that maybe the car's computer is "learning" and re-setting from the old owner to me (?) Should I dis-connect and re-connect the battery to "clear" the ECU memory and let it "learn" from scratch ?

no dont reset it, you want it to learn ur driving style...the car adjusts the mpg based on how ur driving and the miles to empty, just let it be, its fine

Bodyshield said:
no dont reset it, you want it to learn ur driving style...the car adjusts the mpg based on how ur driving and the miles to empty, just let it be, its fine

I disagree. The car will not "learn" your style of driving unless you reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery. The car is 'programed' according to the driving habits of the previous driver and should be reset. Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes then hook it back up. It will take a couple hundred miles to completely learn your style of driving but it will get done. Also your mileage will vary greatly (as I am sure you know) by your driving habits. When I first got mine I babied it and was getting 23-24 in town and 26 highway. Now that I have returned to my typical driving habits I get 19-21 in town and 24-25 highway.
Congradulations on your new purchase.
n8

Thanks guys. I am still impressed with this car, and the surprise still hasn't worn completely off. I just had never even considered an american car, but this LS is a tremendous value for the money. I've been using Lexol on the seats and they seem to be getting softer - how will I ever live without heated and cooled seats again ? :)

My Car when i reset the ECU displays more miles to empty then usual on a full tank 360 and everytime i refuel keeps going down until it stays stable to 265-260... Could this be a problem?

Actually, the car will "learn" how you drive just like it learned how the previous owner drove it. Resetting the PCM's memory will simply accelerate the process.

My car when I first got it use to get 360 miles per tank and now its like 275 which is a huge drop its been reading 13.5 mpg for a while now. Whats should I do with this reset the computer or leave it? Its a 02 LSE8 :)

Maybe the previous owner just had a lighter foot and now the car is catching up with you :) ? I've been told that if you want good gas mileage, you need to drive like you have eggs under the pedals. I set my pedals, climate control, seats and steering wheel and loaded the CD changer with 6 of my favs, now I drive like the Grand Marshal in the Rose Bowl parade - just smile and wave ..... :D

Seriously though, have you changed all your filters (especially the air filter) and maybe done a tune-up including a new O2 sensor ? Maybe even run a can of fuel treatment / injector cleaner. 13.5 mpg seems pretty low if you're driving normally and not sitting in traffic
a lot.

That's what I'm gonna do - I'd like to see an average of 25 mpg on my LS 6. I was getting a little over 22 mpg (combined city / highway with Very little traffic idleing) on the year 2000 LS 8 I had.

Members online

No members online now.
Back