Should I Clean This

T-Flip

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
IMG_20201103_134020.jpg

IMG_20201103_134056.jpg

IMG_20201103_134032.jpg

2001 V6: 250,000 miles rate my engine lol

A bit of sludge build up.. of course I'm gonna clean the gasket surfaces but what should I do with that stuff on the timing cover?

Should I clean it by hand while it's off?

Or run some kind of detergent with the oil when I get it back together?

Or should I leave it alone, I'm thinking all that stuff will go down into the engine if I clean it and do more harm than good. I don't know if this is an acceptable amount of buildup or not, it could be fine.

I don't like it, but I would leave it be. I'm sure there's a lot more hidden in non-exposed parts of the engine.

Is this a situation that Seafoam (and a subsequent filter change) might help?

Is this a situation that Seafoam (and a subsequent filter change) might help?
I did that prior to opening it up, I poured half in the gas tank and half in the crankcase, then took it for a drive. I plan on changing the oil as soon as I get back together. It looks pretty much baked on so I don't think the seafoam did much on that part of the engine.

I don't like it, but I would leave it be. I'm sure there's a lot more hidden in non-exposed parts of the engine.
That's what I was thinking, I really want to clean it though but if all research points to leaving it alone then I will.

You're more likely to knock stuff loose and then into the engine where it might clog up the oil pump/screen, (the pump gets the oil *before* the filter), or get wedged into something.
It's a good idea to clean stuff if it's totally apart. But just open like this? Leave it be.

You're more likely to knock stuff loose and then into the engine where it might clog up the oil pump/screen, (the pump gets the oil *before* the filter), or get wedged into something.
It's a good idea to clean stuff if it's totally apart. But just open like this? Leave it be.
Yeah I'll probably just button it up and do an engine flush or just shorter oil changes for the next few times to help it along.

Engine rating 10! Looks like my 01V6 at 222k.
Thanks tireman, i wasn't sure if this was normal wear or not for this kind of mileage.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back