Shocking MPG

To those that are saying that they get 19+ MPG with city only driving: Are you driving a V6 or something? I have a 2002 V8 and drive like a granny, and I'm getting right at 16 MPG. I'd love to know your secrets on getting 19+ city with the V8 :D

To those that are saying that they get 19+ MPG with city only driving: Are you driving a V6 or something? I have a 2002 V8 and drive like a granny, and I'm getting right at 16 MPG. I'd love to know your secrets on getting 19+ city with the V8 :D

I'm sure it is all to do with driving style. I get around 21 in the city + or - and around 26 + on the Highway.

The urge is always there but I don't do any "Jack Rabbit" starts from light to light.

I drive an '03 LS Sport "V8".

the faster i drive the higher mpg i get

I get barely 26 MPG driving at 70 across the state. I'll check out my coils and also check out a thermostat sensor thats been acting up. Perhaps I have a dud electrical system. I'm getting about 250 miles per tank, if that

Keep in mind that the government average for these vehicles (at least the 2000 v8) is 15/22. So there are naturally going to be cars that get better, and cars that get worse. If you dont believe me, go to http://www.fueleconomy.gov

I get barely 26 MPG driving at 70 across the state. I'll check out my coils and also check out a thermostat sensor thats been acting up. Perhaps I have a dud electrical system. I'm getting about 250 miles per tank, if that

i think i have to replace my ermostat also, my het really sucks. it blows out warm air until thermo get to half way.

I have a 02 v8 and started to notice last fall/winter avg. 17.5 city/highway then spring/summer 21 city/highway...this fall/winter 17.5 again
it must be additives in gas in this area(n/east)

Winter Mix Gas to Lower emissions because people leave their cars to "warm" up when its cold outside.

Keep in mind that the government average for these vehicles (at least the 2000 v8) is 15/22. So there are naturally going to be cars that get better, and cars that get worse. If you dont believe me, go to http://www.fueleconomy.gov
Obviously. The MPG numbers you've quoted are an "average", so of course there will be a deviation of approximately +/- 2 MPG based on driving habits. All I'm saying is that I *seriously* doubt people are getting 21 MPG with strictly city driving and a V8 LS. I think maybe they need to go back to school for math. :p

Obviously. The MPG numbers you've quoted are an "average", so of course there will be a deviation of approximately +/- 2 MPG based on driving habits. All I'm saying is that I *seriously* doubt people are getting 21 MPG with strictly city driving and a V8 LS. I think maybe they need to go back to school for math. :p

I sometimes get my 6's and 9's mixed up!

That's good stuff! Before I bought my LS I had a Nissan Titan Crew Cab 2WD and averaged 18.5 City and 20.5 Highway @ 75 MPH with a truck that weighed in at a sparse 5,600 + Lbs.

So I guess the possibility of averaging 21 MPG with a 3,800 + or - Lbs. Sedan is not out of the question.

Other people I knew from the forums called BS on me with my Titan but I laughed all the way to the Gas Station!

I don't think that it's necessary for me to "go back to school for Math". ;)

That's good stuff! Before I bought my LS I had a Nissan Titan Crew Cab 2WD and averaged 18.5 City and 20.5 Highway @ 75 MPH with a truck that weighed in at a sparse 5,600 + Lbs.

So I guess the possibility of averaging 21 MPG with a 3,800 + or - Lbs. Sedan is not out of the question.

Other people I knew from the forums called BS on me with my Titan but I laughed all the way to the Gas Station!

I had a 2wd Titan Crew Cab as a rental and that thing CHUGGED gas. I spent $40 in 5 days just driving the two miles to work and back a few times. Was a very decent drive though and if it weren't ugly as sin on the inside, I'd probably get one as a post-grad vehicle when I can afford the gas.

I had a 2wd Titan Crew Cab as a rental and that thing CHUGGED gas. I spent $40 in 5 days just driving the two miles to work and back a few times. Was a very decent drive though and if it weren't ugly as sin on the inside, I'd probably get one as a post-grad vehicle when I can afford the gas.

Luckily my Titan did not have the "Big Tow" Gears so with the 2.92 I ran about 1,600 RPM at 75 MPH. :D

Yeah, I still beg to differ. ;) You cannot compare the two because they have *completely* different engines. You're comparing the weight of the two and that's it, which makes no sense when you don't factor in transmission, gear ratio, engine, etc. Apples to oranges my friend. :D

However, if you truly are getting 21 MPG with strictly city driving in your V8 LS, please do tell the rest of us how you do it! :D

Yeah, I still beg to differ. ;) You cannot compare the two because they have *completely* different engines. You're comparing the weight of the two and that's it, which makes no sense when you don't factor in transmission, gear ratio, engine, etc. Apples to oranges my friend. :D

However, if you truly are getting 21 MPG with strictly city driving in your V8 LS, please do tell the rest of us how you do it! :D

Unless he is driving down hill the whole time it’s never going to happen. This really isn't something that needs to be debated no one is getting 20+ mpg out of a V8 Lincoln LS with normal city driving.

What do you consider normal city driving? Stop lights every 10th of a mile?

The best way to extend your gas mileage is to just be aware of what would save you gas at any given moment. Is there a red light ahead? Take your foot off the gas. This way your engine is just idling. Sure you might piss off the guy behind you because you aren't mashing the gas and slamming on the brakes at the last second. At least you are saving him money too.

This also applies when the light turns green and there are people still stopped. I take my foot off the gas, usually by the time I catch up to them I can start accelerating again. I never had to brake, so I didn't lose any speed that I had to immediately make back up.

You know how in Nascar they all follow each other? It's called drafting, and it works too. You don't have to be right on someone's tail, but being behind someone does help. I notice that when I follow a larger car at a few car lengths behind at 75mph, my engine runs at about 2300 RPM. When I am behind no one, it does 2500 RPM. That adds up if you are going several miles.

Don't mash the gas at the light. Luckily the LS accelerates fast anyway. I notice that at a green light, I never go above 3K RPM but I still accelerate way faster than everyone else.

You also need to keep your car clean. A clean car allows air to more easily flow over it. Dirt all over your car slows the air down, creates friction, and makes your engine work a little bit harder to get going.

The best way to extend your gas mileage is to just be aware of what would save you gas at any given moment. Is there a red light ahead? Take your foot off the gas. This way your engine is just idling. Sure you might piss off the guy behind you because you aren't mashing the gas and slamming on the brakes at the last second. At least you are saving him money too.

This also applies when the light turns green and there are people still stopped. I take my foot off the gas, usually by the time I catch up to them I can start accelerating again. I never had to brake, so I didn't lose any speed that I had to immediately make back up.

You know how in Nascar they all follow each other? It's called drafting, and it works too. You don't have to be right on someone's tail, but being behind someone does help. I notice that when I follow a larger car at a few car lengths behind at 75mph, my engine runs at about 2300 RPM. When I am behind no one, it does 2500 RPM. That adds up if you are going several miles.

Don't mash the gas at the light. Luckily the LS accelerates fast anyway. I notice that at a green light, I never go above 3K RPM but I still accelerate way faster than everyone else.

You also need to keep your car clean. A clean car allows air to more easily flow over it. Dirt all over your car slows the air down, creates friction, and makes your engine work a little bit harder to get going.

Andrew, great to see another owner with some common sense...and from Texas too!

As with my Titan I really don't care who believes me on my gas mileage because when it comes down to it, it really doesn't matter.

I drive in excess of 30,000 Miles per year and while doing that I am not looking at the car directly in front of me on the freeway but the one that is 1/2 a mile + ahead. My last vehicle had 60,000 Miles on it in right at 2 years and the original brakes!

I am convinced the problem is people need to take their head out of their @SS and Foot Off the Gas!

Ask yourselves questions to the points that Andrew raised...

Use some common sense "Chief"! If I can get that kind of gas mileage out of a vehicle that is 2,000 Lbs. heavier and a "Brick In The Wind" why the heck would it be any different for an LS.

Unless he is driving down hill the whole time it’s never going to happen. This really isn't something that needs to be debated no one is getting 20+ mpg out of a V8 Lincoln LS with normal city driving.

Hey Steve...Welcome to "LVC"!

Short trips equal bad gas mileage. The engine never really gets up to operating temperature so it runs rich to try to warm up the cats and other smog stuff. The computer controls the mixture and will do this when not up to temp.

Once the engine warms up you will get much better mileage. Usually it takes about 20 miles of freeway speed to really get up to temps, I am not talking about the water temp guage in the dash.

And quit your whining about $25/week. Jeez I am lucky to speed less than $60/week and I do drive a good 60 miles round trip mostly at freeway speeds.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Use some common sense "Chief"! If I can get that kind of gas mileage out of a vehicle that is 2,000 Lbs. heavier and a "Brick In The Wind" why the heck would it be any different for an LS.

HAHAH! You make me laugh, buddy. You're telling me to use some common sense and your dumbass is the one saying you're getting 21 MPG strictly city driving. Get a clue man, or have someone else do your math for you. You're not getting 21 MPG city driving. I'm not arguing any further about this, because I know you're full of :q:q:q:q, or an idiot. I don't really care which it is. :D

Staff online

Members online

Back