Shock replacement questions

beaups

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I ordered new shocks (front and rear) for my 03 ls. I've done a bit of work on cars but never shocks or struts. couple questions, I looked at the procedure on alldata and looks easy enough. do you neeed to compress the springs BEFORE you remove the assemblies from the vehicle? Also, they mentioned lowering the front of the subframe, is this really necessary? thanks

Ive done TONS of suspension swaps on various cars,not my LS yet though ....All you should need to do is jack up the car, take off the wheels, remove the tie rod bolt/nut and move tie rod (if car has one that needs to be romoved), unbolt brake lines from strut mounts if needed, remove the mount bolts/nuts from strut assemble to brake assembly (differs from vehicles) remove top strut mount bolts/nuts from under the hood and should come right out, then compress the spring with the assembly out...really easy job to do in most cars.

What Joey said! Just be VERY careful with that spring compressor. The springs are under very high tension. You could easily hurt yourself with those Auto Zone/Kragen/Pep Boys spring compressors. If you're not experienced with this, get help from someone who is, or once you get the shocks out, take them to a repair facility and pay them the ~$25 to R&R the springs.

LS4me said:
What Joey said! Just be VERY careful with that spring compressor. The springs are under very high tension. You could easily hurt yourself with those Auto Zone/Kragen/Pep Boys spring compressors. If you're not experienced with this, get help from someone who is, or once you get the shocks out, take them to a repair facility and pay them the ~$25 to R&R the springs.
Will do. What about the rear subframe? Have you replaced the fronts and rears?

I did the spring swap by myself and it took about 8 hours. That involved the struts/shocks due to the true coil over setup our cars have.

On to the swap. First off, this tie rod and subframe talk..I didn't run into any of those problems. It's actually very straight forward. The only problem I noticed was the bottom strut bolt could not be removed because the sway bar mounts were in the way. I just loosened it and moved out of way to get that one bolt out. Once you remove the entire assembly(strut/coilover) compress the spring on both sides. Loosen the nut on top of the cap which holds down the spring. Take spring out and move it over to your new strut all while its still compressed. Put that cap back on and get the nut started by the few threads that will prolly stick out. Tighten down then decompress the spring.

For the rear its exactly the same except there were no mounts in the way to get the bolts out. At first I thought I could not get the entire assembly out once all bolts were removed, but I managed a way to pull it through the IRS. How I don't remember but ti is possible. Just play with it for a little it will save you a lot of time. oh and one other problem I ran into but it's an easy fix is you will probably need someone to help guide in the studs that stick out into the trunk to get the nuts started on the thread. I did one side by myself but needed help on the other.

I would do another spring swap on ours cars if I had to. Plus, I'm sure I could cut that 8hr time in half now that I'm more familiar with the suspension. and fyi I did rent a spring compressor at auto zone. A spring compressor is a spring compressor, I don't see how buying one(snap on, if they make oen) will guarantee a smoother install. I've done plenty of spring installs on mustangs without one, but be careful. too many horror stories

Chad

beaups said:
Hello,

I ordered new shocks (front and rear) for my 03 ls. I've done a bit of work on cars but never shocks or struts. couple questions, I looked at the procedure on alldata and looks easy enough. do you neeed to compress the springs BEFORE you remove the assemblies from the vehicle? Also, they mentioned lowering the front of the subframe, is this really necessary? thanks
Which shocks did you get? I'm ditching the Monroe Sensa-craps. I'll probably go with the Sport shock. The Monroe's are a good shock if you want a cushy ride. They really don't hug the road like I thought they would. It's a good base shock replacement.

As for doing the shock replacment, I just leave that to my alignment guy. It's not a difficult DIY job but you have to be careful with compressing the springs.

ken how much u asking for your old shocks. also when i get out of my acr the shocks kinda squeek. also when i push down on the hood it does it also. soes that mean i need new shocks?

itsnotmydaddys said:
ken how much u asking for your old shocks. also when i get out of my acr the shocks kinda squeek. also when i push down on the hood it does it also. soes that mean i need new shocks?
Are you asking about the Monroe's? I don't know what they're worth. Make me an offer. As for the squeek, it's very possible the shocks are dead. I think 50,000 miles is usually the time to replace them but mileage varies on different cars.

how much do some good shocks cost. and what brand do u recommend, also not sure what offer to make what yould u think theyre worth

itsnotmydaddys said:
I read elsewhere on this board that squeeks might indicate the strut MOUNTS need replaced. Just something I read.

Thanks guys for all your help. I'll give it a go next weekend.

For a good price on shicks, try Bill Jenkins, Team Ford, 702-395-5173. IIRC, I paid ~$65 per for the euro shocks.

Ken,
I just replaced my Monroe's. They felt dead after only ~7K miles. They weren't really floaty, they were harsh, which surprised me. They also rode 1/2" lower than the factory shocks. For my money, the factory shocks can't be beat. At least not yet. Well, maybe the Leda's, but at ~$6K they're well outside my budget!!

LS4me said:
For a good price on shicks, try Bill Jenkins, Team Ford, 702-395-5173. IIRC, I paid ~$65 per for the euro shocks.

Ken,
I just replaced my Monroe's. They felt dead after only ~7K miles. They weren't really floaty, they were harsh, which surprised me. They also rode 1/2" lower than the factory shocks. For my money, the factory shocks can't be beat. At least not yet. Well, maybe the Leda's, but at ~$6K they're well outside my budget!!
Mike,

The Leda's would be nice. I agree that my car has gotten lower with the Monroe's. I had to put spring spacers in to keep the car from bouncing. This was my low cost way to stiffen up the suspension until I had some cash saved up to buy the OEM shocks. I was very disappointed in the Monroe's. I guess you live and learn.

GrayGhost1 said:
Which shocks did you get? I'm ditching the Monroe Sensa-craps. I'll probably go with the Sport shock. The Monroe's are a good shock if you want a cushy ride. They really don't hug the road like I thought they would. It's a good base shock replacement.

As for doing the shock replacment, I just leave that to my alignment guy. It's not a difficult DIY job but you have to be careful with compressing the springs.

Ken, sorry didn't see your response. I ordered the non-sport shocks (I like smooth...) for $62/each.

Members online

No members online now.
Back