shimmy in steering on highway in 04 TC

David R

New LVC Member
Reaction score
bought a used town car that shook bad, long story, four new tires, and two dealers later, dealers insist nothing wrong, but still has shimmy in steering. About a quarter inch movement at highway speeds. Most passengers say they don't notice. But It is very annoying during extended drives. My Mercury SUV or Chrysler Sebring do not have same shimmy on the same stretches of road.

Ideas what could be causing it?

Bad tire or maybe wheel.
Also possible bad balancing.
Less likely is a worn suspension components.

Also if you must use the same dumb mechanics make them test drive with you.

I had this issue before. I replaced all my ti-rods with new greasable ones, both upper balljoints, my pitman arm and the idler. After that got a GOOD alignment at dealer (Hyundai dealer charges less than I paid another place which could not get it right).

I've ruled out tires after putting a new set on. Any way to diagnose between the arms and rods? Not really in the position to have the dealer randomly replace things. Also, noticed that steering wheel jumps to the left when hitting bumps in the road.

Sounds like it is time to get under the car yourself. Check all the steering components. They should not move in and out, side to side, or up and down. You may be able to twist the tie rod ends but they should not be loose feeling. That would be my first step. Next would be suspension. Does the car make a popping or clunking noise when going over bumps or turning the wheel tightly?

I do not have any noises when turning or going over bumps (I do in my Sebring but that's another forum) I have not been able to get it up to look it over yet but turning the wheels side to side. the rods in the front hooked to the front wheels seemed tight. I guess I need weight off the wheel to really check, right?

Yes the tires need to be in the air but the suspension needs to be under load too.

The pitman arm seems to be common problem, not saying that it's yours but all these parts in the front are fairly cheap to replace. Once you're under (use jack stands and turn off air-ride) have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth see where there is play or if anything is clunking. Mine only had some slight play, but I opted to replace the tie rods with greasable ones (only $15/each) my upper ball joints had quite a bit of play which was easier to tell once removed (one squeaked and only $12/each IIRC), my bottom ball joints were fine and just greased them. I replaced my pitman arm after complaining at snappy lube the alignment still wasn't right (which they said was bad, the old one seemed fine to me but then again it was only $15). I am getting close to 1/4 million miles on mine and I don't like slushy steering either. I plan on swapping in a pi engine if this one ever bites the bullet and replacing the trans since the cars body is in such great shape.

If you're unsure how to check the ball joints and tie rods there is always youtube !! Just do a search on front end diagnosis or maybe alignments as checking out the components is a first step before an alignment is done. It's much easier to see how it's done than try to tell you how.

Members online

Back