Shift Kit

LQ1906

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey

So Just got a quote from my tech in the service department that told me he would do the Solenoid block for $450 cash. Pretty excited for that price after all the money that I just dropped into this car. I'm praying that after this transmission solenoid gets replaced that I'll be able to drive it for a while with minimal to no issues and that I can then work on getting the bumper and driver front fender replaced, windows tinted, and radio installed. But my question is I know both Joegr and Grizzlyls state to get shift kit.

What are the pros and cons of getting one? What will I feel as far as shifting is concerned? Will this make the shifts smooth and barely detectable or more firm so that I get a kick.....since Im one of the few that like more luxury than sport I would prefer seamless shifts more so than kicks in my seat??? What brand should I buy if I do decide to get one off Rock Auto?

To me, the shift kit is just an easier way to get the one spring that fails (a supposedly improved one at that) along with the gaskets and seals needed.

The point in the BR post link is probably correct. Transgo focuses on the parts to correct issues. I get a mildly wrong shift occasionally, but I am certain that has nothing to do with the transmission work done. Its probably some other sensor or the PCM not timing it all right. Do note, that for like 500 miles after the work the system will be going through the 'adaptive' learning process. So dont even judge anything then.

The solenoid alone may not solve a shift problem, since the springs may be weak.

Doubt you will beat this price by much:
wwwamazoncom/5R55W-TRANSGO-Shift-Valve-Rebuild/dp/B009T5QVIM

cant get the linking thing to work. insert dots in amazon spot, and the htttp thing to go to it

Last edited:
...cant get the linking thing to work. insert dots in amazon spot, and the htttp thing to go to it

I think that the linking is working, it's just that the adblockers that we are all using keep us from seeing the result. (our links are converted to ads)
I was able to post a link by only removing the https:// prefix.

To me, the shift kit is just an easier way to get the one spring that fails (a supposedly improved one at that) along with the gaskets and seals needed.
Are we talking about the spring in the valve body that often breaks into 2 or 3 pieces? If so, I purchased only the spring for about $6.00 + some shipping maybe. Can look up from who if u want. Problem is you might have to drop the valve body all the way out though after I did mine I took a cursory look and thought it MIGHT be replaced by just dropping the body a bit if you're real careful. I didn't get any new gaskets or seals.
One caution - even I would take Joegr's advice before I'd take my own :)

I think that the linking is working, it's just that the adblockers that we are all using keep us from seeing the result. (our links are converted to ads)
I was able to post a link by only removing the https:// prefix.

Just send Joey a note about this, had that problem in another thread as well.
"Amazon links don't work"

Ya, Jewel thats the spring. But really, where theres one there is more, so the whole kit at $60 to me was well worth it, not to mention LQ and I are not DIY so Labor once is always better.

And the adblocker thing may be right... but weird, if someone else puts the link in I see it. Like BR's in this thread.

...And the adblocker thing may be right... but weird, if someone else puts the link in I see it. Like BR's in this thread.

I don't think that they all get converted to ads, but Amazon ones do. I keep another browser without any adblock, and the links show on it, but not just as plain links, instead as ads with a picture of the item and some details.

Which is silly, should not be making ads out of simply links, should just leave links as links to other external site. Very buggy this new forum software. Bunch of other crap don't work right either. Take notice or the thanks or agrees, doesn't seem to add every thanks given. I'll see another new thanks and my total just stays the same, the odd time it imcrements. Posting pics is a waste of time also nowadays. Try posting a big quality pic, it'll cut it down to size and degrade the quality. Try hotlinking a big pic from an external placeholder, imports it as an attachment ... total crap, not to mention all the broken broken image links all over older posts.

Leaves something to be desired that's for sure. Not all that impressed with it anymore, older version was much more flexible. Fighting with links, constantly forms it's own title of said link, try and go in and fix it, call it something else and it just pukes. Simply terrible!!!

BTW who is BR?

Which is silly, should not be making ads out of simply links, should just leave links as links to other external site. ...

I don't disagree with you, I really don't. However, I think that I do understand and I do sympathize with what the site is trying to do. They are trying to make a little money when people click on the links. They just need to find a better way to do it (I have no idea what that way is).

BTW who is BR?...
Didn't you used to be BigRig?

BigRigLS ? Don't know him of him. ;)

Site might very well be attempting to earn a bit on clickthroughs to assist with monthly server bandwidth costs but if I choose to run Adblock on my browsers and it renders Amazon links useless, why is it I'm forking over for a Gold membership again? Thought Gold members were supposed to see less ads ... won't see me posting any more Amazon part recommendation links. Can't even see them nor post them. Lack of interest is setting in if it's going to fight like this with posting of links.

Several things have taken a turn for the worse since upgrade. I used to enjoy posting quality big pics, not anymore. Plus what was the point of doing all those write ups with pics when they now look incomplete and can't get back in to correct by edit. Seems all for nothing. Is what it is, not getting fixed, so screw it. Got bigger fish to fry.

Anyhow, back to shift kits, cuz those are cooler then this new forum software.

Grizzl .... I clock in at 190bs, I had to get rid of the BIG and didn't like BR much. In html coding BR is a line break, who wants to be a linebreak ... not me! :(

Last edited:
Btw, agrees given tabulate the likes,
likes given doesn't do jack

... makes perfect sense to me, bout as much as owning three LS'es

Agreed that the 5R55N had some issues. I forget what LQ's issues actually are,,, and what year LS he has. IIRC it is a gen 2... so most likely he has less issues than the gen 1.

Gen 1, (5R55N) had the spring issue... along with valve body issues,,, but this seemed to be corrected with the gen 2 tranny, (with intermix during that transition period, (at least what I was told by my local dealership).

LQ,,, best I know by what I understand... You may have a "transition" year transmission. Your parts will be determined by "date of manufacturer". I suggest you check with your "friendly" dealer... to see if they can help you.

There was a certain "TSB/bullletin" for certain years of the LS regarding the valve body. Maybe you could get it fixed under warranty. Don't give in if at first you get resistance.

I'll see if I can do research on my end. Valve body was a "known" issue at one point.

Agreed that the 5R55N had some issues. I forget what LQ's issues actually are,,, and what year LS he has. IIRC it is a gen 2... so most likely he has less issues than the gen 1.

Gen 1, (5R55N) had the spring issue... along with valve body issues,,, but this seemed to be corrected with the gen 2 tranny, (with intermix during that transition period, (at least what I was told by my local dealership).

LQ,,, best I know by what I understand... You may have a "transition" year transmission. Your parts will be determined by "date of manufacturer". I suggest you check with your "friendly" dealer... to see if they can help you.

There was a certain "TSB/bullletin" for certain years of the LS regarding the valve body. Maybe you could get it fixed under warranty. Don't give in if at first you get resistance.

I'll see if I can do research on my end. Valve body was a "known" issue at one point.

I have a 2003 LS V8 Sport with 85K miles on it....so it's a second year...I read that even with the 03's being second Gen they had trans issues so the trans was reworked for 2004 and also 2005 with 2005/06 being the best years for problem free transmission.

My inside guy at Lincoln though told me he would do the solenoid replacement for $450 so I'm gonna get the shift kit as I figure it can't hurt...hopefully not much more in labor from the $450

$450 is a good price. Just make sure he is NOT using some sort of cheap "universal" tranny fluid. Installing the shift kit will most likely up the price. I'd guess $50-$100. You'll notice the shifts when it is done. Not harsh... but noticeable.

...I read that even with the 03's being second Gen they had trans issues so the trans was reworked for 2004 and also 2005 with 2005/06 being the best years for problem free transmission...

Actually, the transmission in my 04 (at about 200K miles) is doing a little better than the one in my 06 (at about 160K miles). The solenoid assembly in the 04 did have to be replaced very early on.

Members online

Back