Shift kit yeah or nay on a daily driver?

Yes get a shift kit. It will allow the trans to last longer, less slipping at the shifts. That wears parts quicker and builds up more heat. Go with a good shift kit and it will work very good for you. At low throttle you will feel at harder shift but under more throttle you will notice the shifts will happen much faster and even be less noticable.

Don't bother with that shift kit, just do a J-mod. It is cheaper and better for the trans, and you still get those chirp the tires shifts when you floor it.

Jmod is the only thing you should ever do to a 4r70w... and as a bonus it's free!

All you need is new VB gaskets.

If you are servicing your trans and you have a 98+ all you need to do is drop the VB take it apart, drill the holes and replace $6 worth of gaskets. If you have a 93-97 you need to replace the old accumulators and springs.

Either way it is essentially free, and is the best mod you can do to help your trans live a long life.

The Vic is, the Mark will be as soon as I get some damn time.... I also need to order the springs I want from Max...

I vote jmod. Did a 96 trans for my 93. Not free though, once you buy parts, fluid , and filter. But it is waayyy better than a shift kit.

Shift kits starve other parts of trans for fluid/pressure so you can have those hard chirping shifts. Jmod was designed by a Ford engineer who designed the 4R70W. Thanks Jerry :)

What the Jmod does is help it "breathe" better... nothing is free... but it is about as close as you can get!

If you don't want to play with the JMod, I'd recommend the Baumann ReCal Pro on a mid-lower setting. It will do the same and the support (although hard to get a hold of at times) is amazing and they know these transmissions very well...
I'd vote for installing a cooler at the same times as well... :)

Hmmm... so I have a full baumann shift kit...are you telling me to sell that and just do the springs???

If you have the kit, use it. There are differences, but the end result is similar (firmer/quicker shifts, longer trans life, etc...)

Whats the deal with the trans cooler. I don't use an extra one on my car, it only goes thru the rad. I have no issues with the fluid over heating with the 3200-3500 stall. I drive in-out of town and alot of drag time. I would install one if needed, have many others seen this an issue. When I step up to 4k+ stall I will be getting one. To keep things on a buget skip the cooler not really needed.

does anyone around the chicagoland area know how to do a Jerry mod? I'm not going to go and F around with the trans... what is a fair price parts and labor. I will post on my local Mustang forum that I frequent there are allot of gearheads on there...

spring plans:
jerry mod new fluids
cut stock muffler weld in some bling magnaflow tips(will it sound like crap with no mufflers?
remove air silener
tune up and fluid change

that is about all I can afford now I paid cash for the car and drained my savings account.

DO NOT ever "skip the trans cooler" My goodness, ESPECIALLY with a stall converter? LOL!

The Baumann trans products is all we ever use in our transmissions and couldn't be happier. My car hit's second like Mike Tyson, chirps 3rd, plenty of fluid circulation and cool.

Members online

No members online now.
Back