Service Repair Shop Manuals, Are They Worth It?

eots44

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, I've been looking around at shop manuals on ebay and just wanted to know how useful you guys think they are, are they worth spending $180-$450 dollars on?

You could make an offer for $5 for this http://www.ebay.com/itm/271244037860?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

and it has all the service manuals for other cars too (Explorer, mustang. cougar, ls..etc) in 1 disc. They are exactly the same as the hard copy versions.
Unfortunately I don't own any ford products, do you know if they make one for GM cars, there's also those Haynes and Chilton manuals for like $25 that I can get at the auto store down the street, but I've herd they don't go into too much depth on things. the one for $450 (not really considering it) comes with both additions to the volume for the particular model, and two that are for all GM cars of the year, the ones that are more like $180 just have the volume set for the particular model.
$(KGrHqJHJEsFDKZk(V-,BQ1UMrzWUw~~60_57.jpg$(KGrHqR,!k4E67JfIz7CBO89)87OQg~~60_12.jpg

$(KGrHqJHJEsFDKZk(V-,BQ1UMrzWUw~~60_57.jpg

$(KGrHqR,!k4E67JfIz7CBO89)87OQg~~60_12.jpg

I just obtained a beautiful set of Ford manuals for my `04 LS.Gave 99.99 and got free shipping.Feels like about 7 to 8 lbs. of books(3).I am very happy with e-bay and b_roth the seller. don-ohio :)^)

Wow, I noticed how much cheaper the ford manuals are, I just saw one set of 6 top $500, like I said, I don't know much about the value of these manuals, but there's no way in hell ide pay $500 dollars for some books! LOL

Wow, I noticed how much cheaper the ford manuals are, I just saw one set of 6 top $500, like I said, I don't know much about the value of these manuals, but there's no way in hell ide pay $500 dollars for some books! LOL

Sorry not familiar with GM service manuals on CD on ebay, so I can't comment on that.

I've got used ones for my explorer and continental for $20 each, and realized later when I bought the CD that everything on that 2 volume thick book is exactly the same (just in PDF format) It's still nice to have a hard copy but that's supposed to be $35 saved.

Ill do some more looking, there are used sets for like $50, but not in the volume I would want (go figure). I agree, I prefer hard copy as well, especially if I got the car up in the air and can just have it right there with me.

Michael and I have the manuals for the mark viii s they are worth every penny we spent on them in time and frustration saved. I also have Corvette and Camaro& Firebird from 1988 to 2002 that we are going to sell they are 99% in super shape got them from a friend that lost his dealership. It was a small town dealership and they didn't get used much. would rather have the book then disc copy. but now all the dealerships use is computer print outs. when you look at what the manuals cost to print and handle you see why.

Print outs are nice with wire diagrams, I personally use color pencils when tracing circuits but I don't need to be coloring in my EVTM so the copy is noce for that. Plus I keep my greasy finger prints out of the books.

A digital copy is also nice when some online is asking for something.

If you only want temporary access, you can use mitchelle1 (http://www.eautorepair.net/)
They used to have a 10 day access for $12, somehow they raised it up to $16 but extended it to 30 days. Tried the site myself for the explorer when I don't have the service manuals before. It's also good.

Members online

Back