Service Parking Brake

Joe O

LVC Member
Reaction score
My 2005 LS just turned over 100,000 miles & I am beginning to think it is falling apart. Had a problem with the car heating up the other day. Turns out it was about 1 gal low on coolant. Is there a low coolant sensor as most of my other cars have one. The temperature gauge was always normal so I never checked the coolant level til the overtemp light came on and the gauge was pegged. Shut the engine off immediately, popped the hood and the engine did not seem hot. Turned ignition on again and temp was normal. Started engine and red light went out. Drove a few miles and had the same thing reoccur. At this point discovered the low water and refilled system. Temp seems to be normal now.

After adding coolant and bleeding the system, my dccv is acting up - hot on driver's side and cold on passenger. Also, I get a service parking brake indication.

What needs to be serviced on a parking brake?

Thanks,

Joe

1. There is no low coolant level sensor.
2. You have a leak. You need to find it and fix it, or you will have no end of trouble.
3. I can tell you what you need to do to fix the leak - Replace the degas bottle, replace the three plastic cooling parts at the front of the engine. Replace the two major radiator hoses. Yes, all of those things are leaking or will be very soon. (Once one of those parts starts failing, the rest follow within a few weeks.

4. You service parking brake message is almost (90%) certainly due to your failing DCCV, believe it or not. It has to do with the electrical noise being caused as the DCCV solenoids short out.

4. You service parking brake message is almost (90%) certainly due to your failing DCCV, believe it or not. It has to do with the electrical noise being caused as the DCCV solenoids short out.

Yup. when my DCCV took out the fuse the service parking break message would come up all the time. Weirdest damn thing. Still worked, just complained.

Does resetting (pulling the battery cables) help the situation or just temporarily hide it?

Thank you for your reply. I checked Rock Auto Parts and they have 2 dccv's - one by Motorcraft & the other Four Seasons. Which one would you recommend? Also where do you find the other parts you mentioned as I cannot find them at Rock Auto?

yup fix the leak and when you get the degas bottle get only the one from the dealer not the doorman or the ebay motorcraft ones they are all JUNK, the rest of the parts I got them from rock auto and replace them all at once. do a search here I stated all the cooling parts that you need to replace. then you will be good for another 100k

2. You have a leak. You need to find it and fix it, or you will have no end of trouble.
3. I can tell you what you need to do to fix the leak - Replace the degas bottle, replace the three plastic cooling parts at the front of the engine. Replace the two major radiator hoses. Yes, all of those things are leaking or will be very soon. (Once one of those parts starts failing, the rest follow within a few weeks.

So I seem to be having an issue with my "Service Parking Brake" light and the dash beeps at me like I owe it money upon shutting off.

I've very recently changed my DCCV, and am just about to change my battery as I'm sure its original to the car. The battery is NFG that much I'm sure of, I need a boost constantly to start it. The car was parked all winter and this is probably the 30th time I've had to "recharge" the battery over the years...yup I'm special that way . Anyway, hope this new battery will solve my issues..from the looks of the info provided by you fine folks I'm guessing I will have some good luck! I'll check back in a few days. Cheers

My 2005 LS just turned over 100,000 miles & I am beginning to think it is falling apart. Had a problem with the car heating up the other day. Turns out it was about 1 gal low on coolant. Is there a low coolant sensor as most of my other cars have one. The temperature gauge was always normal so I never checked the coolant level til the overtemp light came on and the gauge was pegged. Shut the engine off immediately, popped the hood and the engine did not seem hot. Turned ignition on again and temp was normal. Started engine and red light went out. Drove a few miles and had the same thing reoccur. At this point discovered the low water and refilled system. Temp seems to be normal now.

After adding coolant and bleeding the system, my dccv is acting up - hot on driver's side and cold on passenger. Also, I get a service parking brake indication.

What needs to be serviced on a parking brake?

Thanks,

Joe
It's low on break fluid. Be sure not to put too much

So I seem to be having an issue with my "Service Parking Brake" light and the dash beeps at me like I owe it money upon shutting off.

I've very recently changed my DCCV, and am just about to change my battery as I'm sure its original to the car. The battery is NFG that much I'm sure of, I need a boost constantly to start it. The car was parked all winter and this is probably the 30th time I've had to "recharge" the battery over the years...yup I'm special that way . Anyway, hope this new battery will solve my issues..from the looks of the info provided by you fine folks I'm guessing I will have some good luck! I'll check back in a few days. Cheers

Well, problems are solved by the feel of it..plus it's not beeping every 2 seconds anymore for the parking brake and also not 50 times in a row after I shut it off lol. Almost seems like someone's shooting quick start up the intake it's cranking so fast

Best part is I didn't even have to touch the parking brake, I did service it not long ago so I'm sure it's fine. I also got 195000km from the original battery..not to bad I figure.

Well, problems are solved by the feel of it..plus it's not beeping every 2 seconds anymore for the parking brake and also not 50 times in a row after I shut it off lol. Almost seems like someone's shooting quick start up the intake it's cranking so fast

Best part is I didn't even have to touch the parking brake, I did service it not long ago so I'm sure it's fine. I also got 195000km from the original battery..not to bad I figure.
Well what did you do to solve the issue??

He replaced the battery as he suggested, you see, the 'service parking brake' irritation is a direct root cause of a bad battery. This is common and well understood in this community.

~ not low on 'break fluid'
Welcome to LVC, do read a bit. Search reveals all.

I have a '04 V8 Sport and I occasionally get the message on the info center display, but after cycling the key it goes away. I have replaced the; DCCV, the spark plugs and COP as well as the battery. I believe the module is still the factory original. IIRC the '04 may have had an issue with the factory module - not sure if there is an updated one available. I also wonder if a simple clamp on ferrite chock around the harness to the module would help.

He replaced the battery as he suggested, you see, the 'service parking brake' irritation is a direct root cause of a bad battery. This is common and well understood in this community.

~ not low on 'break fluid'
Welcome to LVC, do read a bit. Search reveals all.
I've read somewhere that when the battery has been disconnected and reconnected and the fluid may not be low per say but the pads are worn causing a drop in fluid (naturally) the electronic part or sending unit ( whatever it is ) at the brake fluid reservoir trips out and that is the warning it sends. The resolution was said to slightly fill the brake fluid or change the pads... please do t take my word as OBVIOUSLY I'm not a mechanic, simply passing word and trying to help and hoping I'm doing so rather than making things more complicated for any who read... Best of luck!

I've read somewhere that when the battery has been disconnected and reconnected and the fluid may not be low per say but the pads are worn causing a drop in fluid (naturally) the electronic part or sending unit ( whatever it is ) at the brake fluid reservoir trips out and that is the warning it sends. The resolution was said to slightly fill the brake fluid or change the pads... please do t take my word as OBVIOUSLY I'm not a mechanic, simply passing word and trying to help and hoping I'm doing so rather than making things more complicated for any who read... Best of luck!

The electric parking brake does not in any way use or monitor brake fluid level. It is not hydraulic. Low brake fluid level is indicated by the red brake system light and the message center will say "low brake fluid level." The low brake fluid level is sensed by a simple mechanical float switch. It does not become more or less sensitive when the battery is disconnected/reconnected.

The yellow service parking brake indicator indicates an electrical or mechanical problem with the electric parking brake system. This can include very, very worn rear pads. Anytime the battery is disconnected and reconnected, it will trigger this light because the system needs to re-calibrate itself to be able to know what position it is in. Simply setting and then releasing the parking brake will usually resolve this. The message center will lead you through it. This light can also be triggered by electrical noise (such as from a failing DCCV) or low battery level. The 04 modules also had some issues and it was recommended that they be replaced.

I have a '04 V8 Sport and I occasionally get the message on the info center display, but after cycling the key it goes away. I have replaced the; DCCV, the spark plugs and COP as well as the battery. I believe the module is still the factory original. IIRC the '04 may have had an issue with the factory module - not sure if there is an updated one available. I also wonder if a simple clamp on ferrite chock around the harness to the module would help.

I popped open the truck on my '04, removed three trim buttons (third one is for the truck net anchor) that holds the truck liner to the driver's side wall of the truck. I found two (2) 10mm hex nuts high up on the side of the side support structure. I felt around behind there and found the electronic parking brake control module. I removed the two nuts so that I could work the module around and read the label. Sure enough it read REV "-". So I just bought a used REV "A" module off eBay for about $40 shipped that was out of an '05 LS. Hopefully that solves this nagging issue.

i'd like to add that you should unplug your dccv. when i had the service p the parking brake engaged while i was driving and when i unplugged the dccv the service p went away

i'd like to add that you should unplug your dccv. when i had the service p the parking brake engaged while i was driving and when i unplugged the dccv the service p went away

Yes, a failing DCCV is one of the known causes of electrical noise that can cause a parking brake error. I could have sworn that I mentioned that in post #3 to this thread, and then again in post #19.

Yes, a failing DCCV is one of the known causes of electrical noise that can cause a parking brake error. I could have sworn that I mentioned that in post #3 to this thread, and then again in post #19.
sorry i must have missed the part where you said the brakes could engage while driving

I'm getting the 'service parking brake' message and the yellow engine light is on now. My parking brake engages and can't be turned off! Happens on my ride home, not on the way in. Turning off the engine and restarting seems to be the only way to clear it. Using the parking brake button on/off button only makes it beep.

I had a control module replaced recently and it had gone away. I think my battery is good. Last brake inspection said very little pad wear.

I installed a stereo amp recently and that required a lot of electrical work and battery connections, but the problem was there before that. It just went away for a few months.

I'll check the brake fluid level just in case. I did have a/c issues and that turned out to be an actuator switch. That's not the same as the DCCV is it?

One more thing, in my console, the traction control button broke free from it's holder and now sits about an inch low. Still seems to work, though I don't touch it to disengage it now. Maybe this is an actual electrical issue related to the parking brake?

Brake fluid level has nothing to do with the parking brake or the service warning.
You need to read out all the OBD codes (including all the electronic modules). Otherwise, it's just going to be wild guesses when it doesn't have to be.

Members online

No members online now.
Back