Service Park Brake?

nelliott500

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Getting this message on the message center when trying to use the EPB. The brake will engage but disengages after a second and I receive this error.

I disconnected the battery two weeks ago to reset a CEL which, I'm guessing, is the reason I'm seeing this message. Tried resetting the EPB and it doesn't get rid of the message.

Getting this message on the message center when trying to use the EPB. The brake will engage but disengages after a second and I receive this error.

I disconnected the battery two weeks ago to reset a CEL which, I'm guessing, is the reason I'm seeing this message. Tried resetting the EPB and it doesn't get rid of the message.

It sounds like you have a real fault. Start by looking at the ends of the parking brake cables where they attach to the calipers. There are plastic parts involved, and these have been known to break.

Fixed. I took the brakes apart this morning to grease everything because of squealing (which is still there during moderate to hard braking... wtf) and I couldn't find any issues with the ebrake components. Put it back together, tried the EPB right away and it engaged no problem. Disengaged it and hit the brake pedal a few times to return pressure to the calipers. EPB having the same issue again.

So, frustrated, I pulled the negative cable on the battery again since that's how this whole problem started to begin with. Let it sit for 30+ minutes, hooked it back up, EPB asked for a reset, now it works flawlessly.

This is one hell of a finicky car.

Likely to come back after some calibration cycle of sort.

Possibly, or it could have been a hiccup in the system from the last time the battery was disconnected. I don't remember the system asking for it to be reset after the disconnect last time. This time, upon first start, it asked me to apply the park brake and then release it. Had nothing like that before.

EDIT: Might I also add that when this originally started, it was immediate as far as I'm aware. There was no calibration cycle it had to go through before it happened. I disconnected the battery to clear the check engine light (had the intake off so the sensors were wonky), reconnected it, EPB started whining.

Possibly, or it could have been a hiccup in the system from the last time the battery was disconnected. I don't remember the system asking for it to be reset after the disconnect last time. This time, upon first start, it asked me to apply the park brake and then release it. Had nothing like that before.

EDIT: Might I also add that when this originally started, it was immediate as far as I'm aware. There was no calibration cycle it had to go through before it happened. I disconnected the battery to clear the check engine light (had the intake off so the sensors were wonky), reconnected it, EPB started whining.

sometimes it doesnt ask, and when it doesnt you have the problem you noted. its pretty rare that it doesnt ask (im guessing like 2 for 40 in my case). my first instance of this occuring i drove around for a day before i did a disconnect/reconnect and did not have any issues for approximately 15 disconnects and 6 months after that; had it happen again after a disconnect, let it go for about 10 miles before i disconnected/reconnected. that was almost a year ago, no issues since. I wouldnt worry about it, but i am not sure why its finicky tho. If i remember right, i had it on an incline with the PB engaged when i disconnected&reconnected the battery. i believe this may have fcked up its calibration procedure and caused the failure to prompt for the driver to set the PB... i am curious to see if you remember having the PB set when you acquired the problem?

The brake wouldn't have been set. It was very rarely used when I was in Florida. Now that I live in Connecticut and the car is parked on a hill, I really wanted the EPB to be working.

shoot. yeah i think you are good, not sure why it happened tho. my other guess is that my battery was disconnected and quickly reconnected when it happend, but i do know mine was set both times when it was disconnected.. oh well, moral of the story is just disconnect/reconnect if it happens and hope it goes away

that happens to me when i disconnect the ground - it was easy to fix it
1. press brake pedal and EMB at same time then release the pedal and after u release the pedal pull the EMB up.

Members online

No members online now.
Back