Serpentine Belt?

Stopsign002

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I asked the shop that changed my thermostat after it exploded everywhere to change my serpentine belt. They 'forgot' I guess... but I didn't get charged so oh well. But yesterday I noticed sometimes when not moving if I turn the wheel the pump struggles to help me out. This only happens at idle. It feels smooth as ever when moving, no extra force needed. This leads me to believe my belt is to blame. Thoughts?

With that mileage I would do the belt tensioner and pulleys if you already haven't.

Even if coolant got on the belt you might not need to replace it.

I asked the shop that changed my thermostat after it exploded everywhere to change my serpentine belt. They 'forgot' I guess... but I didn't get charged so oh well. But yesterday I noticed sometimes when not moving if I turn the wheel the pump struggles to help me out. This only happens at idle. It feels smooth as ever when moving, no extra force needed. This leads me to believe my belt is to blame. Thoughts?

That's pretty normal, no? There is more resistance to turn the wheels when stopped. If you believe your belt is bad (slipping), there would likely be noise associated with it.

Try this: Drive, get up to speed, foot off gas (RPMs go to idle), make a turn. Still smooth?

Yes, this sounds like the belt slipping to me. First, clean everything off at the front of the engine. Coolant is slippery and will cause the belt to slip. You may or may not need to replace the belt, but I would just go ahead and do it. Of course, you should first make sure that nothing is still leaking.

That's pretty normal, no? There is more resistance to turn the wheels when stopped. If you believe your belt is bad (slipping), there would likely be noise associated with it.

Try this: Drive, get up to speed, foot off gas (RPMs go to idle), make a turn. Still smooth?

The power steering is programmed for the least boost at speed (unless you trun the wheel quickly) and the most at idle. You can tell when the belt is slipping, because the effort suddenly increases, instead of staying steady.

My belt made noise after having anti-freeze sprayed all over it. Even cleaning, sanding pulleys, and replacing the belt didn't help. A Goodyear Gatorback belt cured all my issues, I hate Goodyear, but the Gatorback is a problem solver.

The power steering is programmed for the least boost at speed (unless you trun the wheel quickly) and the most at idle. You can tell when the belt is slipping, because the effort suddenly increases, instead of staying steady.

Yeah it only happens at idle and sharp quick turns at low low speeds. I forgot to add it does make the typical 'power steering moan' when the wheel gets ape **** hard to turn. First time it happened to me I almost slammed into a van. Good thing I lift weights a lot because I BARELY missed it after putting a lot of muscle into the steering wheel. Probably not the best thing to do for my car, but better then rear ending another car as I see it

Maybe your AdvanceTrack has gone mad from all those burnouts. :D

Seriously though, replace the belt (easy to do). It's not expensive either.

My belt made noise after having anti-freeze sprayed all over it. Even cleaning, sanding pulleys, and replacing the belt didn't help. A Goodyear Gatorback belt cured all my issues, I hate Goodyear, but the Gatorback is a problem solver.

Got a part number on that by any chance?

Well I replaced the belt and it made a difference but I still have lower power at idle. When the engine is cold I don't seem to have the issue but once it warms up I lose some power at idle. Its not a ton of power but I want to jump on this as early as possible. Its definitely more power than the car should be losing

Does engine RPM drop when your steering is difficult?

Tested: No, my RPMs do not go down at all. Im guessing power steering pump?

I would guess the rack, but it could be the pump. I would suggest the intermediate shaft as the problem, but that wouldn't cause the sound from the pump to change.

If you change the pump, be sure to get a new pulley for it. You're not supposed to reuse the old one due to it being a press fit.

lol @m4rk

you would be shocked at the different lengths of belts retail stores will sell you... gatorback seems to always be a quality product AND the correct length. my 2 cents is to get the measurement from a gatorback and find a decent belt of the same length as the gatorback (for probably half the price) and try that first when solving belt-related problems.

do you have any leaks in pwersteering? i have a leak at the rack and the intermediate shaft makes noise but i dont have the problems you describe tho. this forum leads me to believe the intermediate shaft is a major and recurring problem (wd40 on the ujoints solves the noises) and talking to lincoln service advisor tells me that rack problems are common...

Members online

No members online now.
Back