Serious question to everyone (about religion in politics)

Mr Wiggl3s

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
And get this, no jabs (at least i dont think so)

Preface: I like to write essays, so i want to do one on discrimination of religions in our politics. Now, obviously foss already knows my views lol, but for this i'm covering all religions.

Here's my thought pattern

If i wanted to run for an office, small town where the race (for office, not skin) is more personal, and where one would have to build himself up, there would be issues brought up regarding religion, abortion, gay marriage, death penalty (the big 3) as well as others.

Here's my question:
Once stated that i don't follow christian, roman cathloic, or any other well accepted religion here, lets just say for the sake of argument that i follow tibetan buddhism, would anyone not vote for me based on that fact alone?
Because i dont follow your train of thought following your beliefs and your structure?

I don't know how to word this question better right now so it seems blunt but it will do.

Obviously the following would be that if you dont respect my views and decision making process founded on my religion, you wouldn't vote for me. And as such, the first amendment right (Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof)

Now, i know some people here may think that this is immature (keep in mind i'm 21 and trying to do this for fun), and 1 or 2 may think its a good question but some things to keep in mind:
1. Substitute buddahism with any other religion, indian, muslim, shiite, ect.
2. Think of it as i wanted to go higher into office, congress, senate, mayor, ect.
3. Think of it if i were to be district principal, in charge of your children ect.

I want to try to empathize how seriously i want this to be taken. I realize there are some loopholes above but i just want to focus on one thing. Anyway, input would be good, i wont take jabs at anyone for saying anything, and i hope others can do the same.

I think it doesn't matter what religon you claim to practice there will be someone who will not vote for you for that reason.
However it's a moot point as everyone else running will be facing the same hurdle. Religon is a part of politics as it is a component of most peoples lives and is a part of government because of that.

The prohibition in this country is in the government establishing or endorsing a state religon, not in prohibiting elected officials from being religeous.
If you claim to practice some unusual religion expect the same results as if you claimed to practice some unusual sexual habits. People tend to be tribal and vote for those similar to themselves.

People will form their opinion of you as a candidate based on the most assinine things, such as the tie you wore during a debate. So I think using the religon you claim is as good a thing to base an opinion on as any, even if it doesn't reflect your true stance on things. So as most candidates learn, control your public image.

Last edited by a moderator:
There definitely will be people who would not vote for you due to religion in that circumstance. I don't think we have ever had a president who doesn't at least claim to be a Christian in some fashion. Even Jefferson claimed to be a Christian in a very specific sense.

While the offices you are talking about are not on the scale of the president, the same idea would still apply, IMO. While you can get into office as a firm non-Christian, it is such a statistical rarity.

Look at the stuff JFK went through for simply being a Catholic. Or, more recently, what Romney went through in the primary for being a Mormon. For good or ill, the American people seem to prefer certian types of Christians. Foss would probably be a very good resource on this.

Mr wiggles -

It would very much depend on where you are running - location in elections, is everything (similar to real estate ;) ) In a place like Berkeley or Boulder - Tibetan Buddhism isn't going to damage your chances much at all - but in almost all other parts of the country - wow, really difficult.

Don't try to get elected in Utah unless you are Mormon. Certain neighborhoods of Chicago or New York - it would probably be much easier if you were Catholic. However, most of the US, heck, any denomination of Protestant would probably be best. Usually, unless you are running for national type office though - they won't be looking into your church going habits too much, so long as you fall within that 'generic' Christian umbrella.

Is it against the first amendment - nope... we vote however we want. We might say that we 'believe' in free exercise of religion, but that doesn't mean we would be comfortable having a Muslim in charge of our children. Look at the fear that was drudged up by various people who claimed that Obama was a Muslim. In the national news, before the election Colin Powell even included it in his endorsement speech for Barack Obama, stating that, "Well, the correct answer is, he is not a Muslim, he's a Christian. He's always been a Christian," he said. "But the really right answer is, what if he is? Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country? The answer's no, that's not America. Is there something wrong with some seven-year-old Muslim-American kid believing that he or she could be president? Yet, I have heard senior members of my own party drop the suggestion, 'He's a Muslim and he might be associated terrorists.' This is not the way we should be doing it in America."

There was even quite the furor on whether or not Obama would add 'so help me God' to his oath of office. It isn't in the constitution, but almost all presidents have included it. Does it make us feel better that our President aligns himself with 'our' God - of course.

We associate religion with basic values, and we vote our 'values'. We assume someone who is a 'Christian' will feel basically as we do about core values. Most of the people who live in the US have been surrounded with Christian values since we have been young. We are comfortable with it. We don't know how Shiites treat 'family values'. They might be the same, but we are leery.

Certainly many Jews have been elected. But, I would imagine that many people view Judaism as just a precursor to Christianity, and not that far removed as far as basic values.

The history of the US also demonizes certain religions - Islam is one of them. Atheists to some extent. In the past - as Shag said - Catholicism was a big issue in the 1960 presidential election. A big hurdle to overcome. Obviously a larger hurdle than sex or race. Both of those barriers have been 'broken' as far as 'national' office long ago, I believe however the first Muslim elected to national level office was in 2006 (a Representative from Minnesota).

People will form their opinion of you as a candidate based on the most assinie things, such as the tie you wore during a debate.

I agree, even though a lot of it is subconscious. (Think of archetypes and all that crap) It's pretty ridiculous that elections are swayed by religious and ethnic backgrounds over political experience/views. I'm sure people have used religion to sway the polls, it's disgraceful.

. ~ It's pretty ridiculous that elections are swayed by religious and ethnic backgrounds over political experience/views. ~
Don't you think a persons views, and to some extent the politics they endorse, are shaped by their relgious and ethnic backgrouds?

both shag and fox hit it pretty close. you can quickly become ostracized for having the wrong views in life, even if your political views are within the majority of the region. still too many put a lot on your faith views as being a prerequisite, without thought for your stance politically.

there have been many times a personal choice has lost a better person an office.

Don't you think a persons views, and to some extent the politics they endorse, are shaped by their relgious and ethnic backgrouds?

I meant the voters sometimes are more concerned with their religious and ethnic backgrounds rather than their politics, as we've seen in this election.

Yall have made some very good points

The way to write a good argument is to cover all the opposing points :)

Members online

Back