Sen. Sessions (R) is a Disgrace to His Race

JohnnyBz00LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
...... but apparently he's the darling of the GOP.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/13/AR2009071302605.html

Whose Identity Politics?

By Eugene Robinson
Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The only real suspense in the confirmation hearings for Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor is whether the Republican Party will persist in tying its fortunes to an anachronistic claim of white male exceptionalism and privilege.

Republicans' outrage, both real and feigned, at Sotomayor's musings about how her identity as a "wise Latina" might affect her judicial decisions is based on a flawed assumption: that whiteness and maleness are not themselves facets of a distinct identity. Being white and male is seen instead as a neutral condition, the natural order of things. Any "identity" -- black, brown, female, gay, whatever -- has to be judged against this supposedly "objective" standard.

Thus it is irrelevant if Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. talks about the impact of his background as the son of Italian immigrants on his rulings -- as he did at his confirmation hearings -- but unforgivable for Sotomayor to mention that her Puerto Rican family history might be relevant to her work. Thus it is possible for Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) to say with a straight face that heritage and experience can have no bearing on a judge's work, as he posited in his opening remarks yesterday, apparently believing that the white male justices he has voted to confirm were somehow devoid of heritage and bereft of experience.

The whole point of Sotomayor's much-maligned "wise Latina" speech was that everyone has a unique personal history -- and that this history has to be acknowledged before it can be overcome. Denying the fact of identity makes us vulnerable to its most pernicious effects. This seems self-evident. I don't see how a political party that refuses to accept this basic principle of diversity can hope to prosper, given that soon there will be no racial or ethnic majority in this country.

Yet the Republican Party line assumes a white male neutrality against which Sotomayor's "difference" will be judged. Sessions was accusatory in quoting Sotomayor as saying, in a speech years ago, that "I willingly accept that we who judge must not deny the differences resulting from experience and heritage, but attempt . . . continuously to judge when those opinions, sympathies and prejudices are appropriate."

This is supposed to be a controversial statement? Only, I suppose, if you assume that there are judges who have no opinions, sympathies or prejudices -- or, perhaps, that the opinions, sympathies and prejudices of the first Hispanic nominee to the Supreme Court are somehow especially problematic.

There is, after all, a context in which these confirmation hearings take place: The nation continues to take major steps toward fulfilling the promise of its noblest ideals. Barack Obama is our first African American president. Sonia Sotomayor would be only the third woman, and the third member of a minority group, to serve on the nation's highest court. Aside from these exceptions, the White House and the Supreme Court have been exclusively occupied by white men -- who, come to think of it, are also members of a minority group, though they certainly haven't seen themselves that way.

Judging from Monday's hearing, some Republican senators are beginning to notice this minority status -- and seem a bit touchy about it. Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) was more temperate in his remarks than most of his colleagues, noting that Obama's election victory ought to have consequences and hinting that he might vote to confirm Sotomayor. But when he brought up the "wise Latina" remark, as the GOP playbook apparently required, Graham said that "if I had said anything remotely like that, my career would have been over."

That's true. But if Latinas had run the world for the last millennium, Sotomayor's career would be over, too. Pretending that the historical context doesn't exist -- pretending that white men haven't enjoyed a privileged position in this society -- doesn't make that context go away.

Yes, justice is supposed to be blind. But for most of our nation's history, it hasn't been -- and women and minorities are acutely aware of how our view of justice has evolved, or been forced to evolve. Women and minorities are also key Democratic Party constituencies, and if the Republican Party is going to be competitive, it can't be seen as the party of white male grievance -- especially in what is almost certainly a lost cause. Democrats, after all, have the votes to confirm Sotomayor.

"Unless you have a complete meltdown, you're going to get confirmed," Graham told the nominee. He was right -- Republicans probably can't damage her. They can only damage themselves.

Where does this Sessions get off on claiming Sotomayor is "racist"??

During a 1981 murder investigation involving the Ku Klux Klan, Sessions was heard by several colleagues commenting that he "used to think they [the Klan] were OK" until he found out some of them were "pot smokers."

J. Gerald Hebert, a career Justice Department lawyer, testified that Sessions had once called the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and the American Civil Liberties Union "un-American" and "Communist-inspired." He said that they "forced civil rights down the throats of people."....Hebert also testified that Sessions had called a white civil rights lawyer a "disgrace to his race" for litigating voting rights cases.

Oh well, here's another GOP "leader" flushing his party's hopes for future offices down the toilet. Excuse me if I don't shed a tear.

Here's another gem, his attempt to paint Sotomayor as a stereotypical Hispanic who'd take sides with all the other brown people ;) , exposes his own racism:

Sen J. Sessions said:
You voted not to reconsider the prior case. You voted to stay with the decision of the circuit. And in fact your vote was the key vote. Had you voted with Judge Cabranes, himself of Puerto Rican ancestry, had you voted with him, you could’ve changed that case.

So he contends Sotomayor will allow her judgements to be influenced by her own ethnic background, then in another breath to nitpick her "stubborness", he uses an example where Sotomayor DISAGREED with with her Hispanic coleague? WTF?? And as if that leap of logic isn't enough to illustrate his own deranged mental state, he exposes his own preoccupation with race by pointing out the ancestry of the subject Judge as if that has anything to do with the price of apples in China! :slam

troll1.jpg

I guess the warm cocoon of your little "ignore list" has chilled and no longer working?

Is that all you have kiddies? Still pathetic little children after all these years.

You're point is lost, that opinion piece is nothing but inflammatory and race baiting.

"I, [NAME], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as [TITLE] under the Constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God."

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=54039

There is an interesting point in the article though... Is there a standard that we still go by, whether it is stated or not, that there is an 'assumed' white male neutrality in cases like this? White males aren't a majority, they are a minority - so shouldn't they be also subjected to the same line of questions as Sotomayor regarding their own preconceptions that stem from their own unique upbringing and background?

When Roberts was before the committee did they question his lack of prejudice regarding white males? That his upbringing, ethnic background, and even gender could be a determining factor on how he views cases and might even slant his decisions.

There is an interesting point in the article though... Is there a standard that we still go by, whether it is stated or not, that there is an 'assumed' white male neutrality in cases like this? White males aren't a majority, they are a minority - so shouldn't they be also subjected to the same line of questions as Sotomayor regarding their own preconceptions that stem from their own unique upbringing and background?

When Roberts was before the committee did they question his lack of prejudice regarding white males? That his upbringing, ethnic background, and even gender could be a determining factor on how he views cases and might even slant his decisions.

Did he make any statements earlier in his career that would indicate that "upbringing, ethnic background, and even gender could be a determining factor on how he views cases and might even slant his decisions"? Sotomayor has made such statements and taken such actions.

You are ignoring that even though I am sure you are aware of that.

DEMS TO GOP NOMINEES: WILL THE DEFENDANT PLEASE RISE?

Every time a Democrat senator has talked during the Senate hearings on Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor this week, I felt lousy about my country. Not for the usual reasons when a Democrat talks, but because Democrats revel in telling us what a racist country this is.

Interestingly, the Democrats' examples of ethnic prejudice did not include Clarence Thomas, whose nomination hearings began with the Democrats saying, "You may now uncuff the defendant."

Their examples did not include Miguel Estrada, the brilliant Harvard-educated lawyer who was blocked from an appellate court judgeship by Senate Democrats expressly on the grounds that he is a Hispanic -- as stated in Democratic staff memos that became public.

No, they had to go back to Roger Taney -- confirmed in 1836 -- who was allegedly attacked for being a Catholic (and who authored the Dred Scott decision), and Louis Brandeis -- confirmed in 1916 -- allegedly a victim of anti-Semitism.

Indeed, Sen. Patrick Leahy lied about Estrada's nomination, blaming it on Republicans: "He was not given a hearing when the Republicans were in charge. He was given a hearing when the Democrats were in charge."

The Republicans were "in charge" for precisely 14 days between Estrada's nomination on May 9, 2001, and May 24, 2001, when Sen. Jim Jeffords switched parties, giving Democrats control of the Senate. The Democrats then refused to hold a hearing on Estrada's nomination for approximately 480 days, shortly before the 2002 election.

Even after Republicans won back a narrow majority in 2003, Estrada was blocked "by an extraordinary filibuster mounted by Senate Democrats" -- as The New York Times put it.

Memos from the Democratic staff of the Judiciary Committee were later unearthed, revealing that they considered Estrada "especially dangerous" -- as stated in a memo by a Sen. Dick Durbin staffer -- because "he is Latino and the White House seems to be grooming him for a Supreme Court appointment."

Sandy Berger wasn't available to steal back the memos, so Durbin ordered Capitol Police to seize the documents from Senate computer servers and lock them in a police vault.

Led by Sens. Leahy and Chuck Schumer, Democrats ferociously opposed Estrada, who would have been the first Hispanic to sit on the influential U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. They were so determined to keep him off the Supreme Court that Leahy and Schumer introduced legislation at one point to construct a fence around Estrada's house.

In frustration, Estrada finally withdrew his name on Sept. 5, 2003.

At the time, liberal historian David Garrow predicted that if the Democrats blocked Estrada, they would be "handing Bush a campaign issue to use in the Hispanic community."

Alas, today Democrats can't really place Estrada -- James Carville confuses him with that other Hispanic, Alberto Gonzales. On MSNBC they laugh about his obscurity, asking if he was the cop on "CHiPs." They also can't recall the name "Anita Hill." Nor can anyone remember African-American Janice Rogers Brown or what the Democrats did to her.

Only the indignities suffered by Justices Taney and Brandeis still burn in liberal hearts!

So when Republicans treat Sotomayor with respect and Sen. Lindsey Graham says his "hope" is that "if we ever get a conservative president and they nominate someone who has an equal passion on the other side, that we will not forget this moment," I think it's a lovely speech.

It might even persuade me if I were born yesterday.

But Democrats treat judicial nominations like war -- while Republicans keep being gracious, hoping Democrats will learn by example.

Sen. Teddy Kennedy accused Reagan nominee Robert Bork of trying to murder women, segregate blacks, institute a police state and censor speech -- everything short of driving a woman into a lake! -- within an hour of Reagan's announcing Bork's nomination.

To defend "the right to privacy," liberals investigated Bork's video rentals. (Alfred Hitchcock, the Marx Brothers' movies and "Ruthless People" -- the last one supposedly a primer for dealing with the Democrats.)

Liberals unleashed scorned woman Anita Hill against Clarence Thomas in the 11th hour of his hearings to accuse him of sexual harassment -- charges that were believed by no one who knew both Thomas and Hill, or by the vast majority of Americans watching the hearings.

But when the tables were turned and Bill Clinton nominated left-wing extremist/ACLU lawyer Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Republicans lavished her with praise and voted overwhelmingly to confirm her, in a 96-to-3 vote. (Poor Ruth. If Sotomayor is confirmed, Ginsburg will no longer be known as "the hot one in the robe.")

The next Clinton nominee, Stephen Breyer, was also treated gallantly -- no video rental records or perjurious testimony was adduced against him -- and confirmed in an 87-to-9 vote.

As Mrs. Sam Alito can attest, the magnanimity was not returned to Bush's Supreme Court nominees. She was driven from the hearings in tears by the Democrats' vicious attacks on her husband's character. The great "uniter" Barack Obama voted against both nominees.

Even Justice Ginsburg recently remarked to The New York Times that her and Justice Breyer's hearings were "unusual" in how "civil" they were.

Hmmm, why might that be?

To the extent that the Sotomayor hearings have been less than civil, it is, again, liberals who have made it so, launching personal attacks against the ranking Republican on the Judiciary Committee, Sen. Jeff Sessions, and even the fireman whose complaint started the Ricci case.

But it was a nice speech.

COPYRIGHT 2009 ANN COULTER

Did he make any statements earlier in his career that would indicate that "upbringing, ethnic background, and even gender could be a determining factor on how he views cases and might even slant his decisions"? Sotomayor has made such statements and taken such actions.

You are ignoring that even though I am sure you are aware of that.

Not ignoring that - ignorant of that... I need to look up more about Roberts past decisions...

BTW, Cassaday is a great artist. His run with Whedon on Amazing X-men was great (great story too, of course).

Cassaday/Whedon were a wonderful pairing - and their Astonishing X-Men's are some of my all time favorites. I love how Whedon concentrated on just a few characters and really developed them. And Cassaday's look for the books - just amazing.

I think Phil Jimenez is slated to do the next series - I am anxious to see them...

Cassaday/Whedon were a wonderful pairing - and their Astonishing X-Men's are some of my all time favorites. I love how Whedon concentrated on just a few characters and really developed them. And Cassaday's look for the books - just amazing.

I think Phil Jimenez is slated to do the next series - I am anxious to see them...

Haven't heard of Jimenez. I tend to follow artists in the comic world. Unfortunately, there are very few worth following today, IMO. The Kubert Bros., Jim Lee, Cassaday, etc.

You're point is lost, that opinion piece is nothing but inflammatory and race baiting.

Oh really? Compared to what Sessions and the rest of the GOP was doing during these hearings? Didn't think so. But then again I wouldn't expect you to be intellectually honest and perceive it that way.

foxpaws said:

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Oh really? Compared to what Sessions and the rest of the GOP was doing during these hearings? Didn't think so. But then again I wouldn't expect you to be intellectually honest and perceive it that way.

So, let me get this straight; he is not intellectually honest simply because he doesn't perceive the situation the same as you? That is highly presumptuous, and considering the fact that the facts back up his perception but fly in the face of your apparent perception (which relies on deceit and straw men), if anyone is being intellectually dishonest here, it is you.

Now why don't you revert back to form and crawl back under your bridge to leave us in peace for a few weeks. We all know you can't hold your own in any honest debate. :rolleyes:

Shagdrum said:
So, let me get this straight; since Calabrio hasn’t been man enough to defend himself, I’m going to build this straw man argument that is totally tangential to the point you’ve made and then prop it up with made-up self-proclaimed “facts” so that I can argue it’s merit and claim victorious over you. While I’m at it, I’ll twist your statements around and throw them back at you, stomp my feet a few times and call you names in the hope you’ll go away and stop challenging me.

NO, Shaggy. As usual your abilities to grasp factual reality remain below the level of a vegetable. And as usual, I’ll end up wasting my time once again spelling it out for you so that you might have a chance to actually learn something new. Well, that may be false hope on my part, but at least the other browsers of this forum will be able to see once again what a twit you really are.

Sen. Sessions and the other GOP questioners in Sotomayor’s hearings have ignored her 17 year un-blemished judging record because, quite frankly, they can’t find a real flaw with it. If anything, her judgments have been “mainstream”, she’s nowhere close to the “liberal activist” the GOP has struggled to portray her. Instead they’ve chosen to attack her “wise Latina” remark that was clearly taken out of context and mis-understood. Nonetheless, this statement was made during a speech and NOT when she was on the bench. EVERY DAY this past week Sessions or one of the other GOP questioners grilled her on this, attempting to paint her as a “racist” who has allowed race to influence her judgments, when the FACTS do not exist that would support such an accusation. These hearings have been a veritable tutorial on race baiting.

I point this out, and include an op-ed that helps illustrate this hypocrisy of the GOP from a perspective that there is NO absolute, EVERYthing is relative, and we are ALL different based on our experiences and upbringing. Even white males are not the same as each other, we’re living proof of that.

Then Calabrio calls that op-ed “nothing but inflammatory and race baiting”? PLEASE.

Intellectual honesty requires one to see things from other’s perspective, to “walk a mile in their shoes”. Cal made it perfectly clear by his statement that he has no clue whatsoever how things look from the eyes of someone who is of a different race than he. And it seems that he has no desire to seek any new perspective, nor at least to acknowledge that he too, views life from a perspective that is NOT the basis upon which all other races are to be measured. In his world, as it is in your, Shag, “White is Right” and everyone else is out to get you. He fails this intellectual honesty test, NOT because he perceives things differently than me, but because he refuses to acknowledge that there is more than HIS ONE valid perspective.

As usual your abilities to grasp factual reality remain below the level of a vegetable.

You are, once again, demonstrating why it is a waste of time to engage you. You are incapable of an honest, civil conversation. You can only argue through demonization, distortion and dishonesty.

Cal nailed what the op-ed was that you posted when he called it, "nothing but inflammatory and race baiting". It is based on distortion and dishonesty. While that apparently counts as high-level discourse for you, Cal treated it with the level of consideration an immature and dishonest rant like that deserves; none.

When you can actually act like an adult, demonstrate some intellectual integrity and stop with the smears then maybe someone would be willing to actually treat what you have to say with some degree of respect. But you habitually do the exact opposite on this forum and you know it. That is why no one takes you seriously.

Intellectual honesty requires one to see things from other’s perspective, to “walk a mile in their shoes”.

More dishonesty. Specifically trying to distort and redefine the term "intellectual honesty" to your own ends; equivocation.

Intellectual honest involved, guess what, honesty at the intellectual level. It has nothing to do with "seeing things from other's perspective". BTW, it should be pointed out that you never make any effort to see things from a conservative perspective, as demonstrated by your habitual mischaracterizing of that conservative perspective. So you are chastising Cal (through a dishonest distortion) for something you constantly do on this forum. Can you say "double standard"?

Your lack of intellectual honesty is why it is a complete waste of time to debate you (and presumably, why you have been reduced on this forum to nothing more then a childish troll).

shagdrum said:
You are, once again, demonstrating why it is a waste of time to engage you. You are incapable of an honest, civil conversation. You can only argue through demonization, distortion and dishonesty.

:bsflag:
Excuse me, but YOU are in NO position to be preaching to me about "honest, civil conversation" or about how inappropriate "demonization, distortion and dishonesty" is with this as your FIRST response in this thread:

YOU are utterly pathetic, little boy. Go ahead and make another off-topic post to prove how pathetic you really are.

MEANWHILE, back on topic. CAL, please explain why you believe this op-ed is "nothing but inflammatory and race baiting". Point out the exact statements made that qualify it as "race baiting" and "inflamatory" and why. YOU made that statement, now back it up. Your little surrogate here is obviously incapable of doing that.

I was both speaking to the tone of the piece, the intention of using the tired, and the still powerful tactic used by the left to shout "racist" against a person to drown out whatever valid criticism they might have, and the author's desire to ascribe ethnic characteristics to judicial decisions.

This is also racist tendency of the left.
It's a convenient and dishonest way of dismissing an argument that you don't agree with. According to this argument, and likely jurists like Sotomeyer, the interpretations of law they don't agree with MUST be because the "white male" lens was used.

When it's pointed out that a "black male" like Clarence Thomas, or a "white female" like Sandra Day O'Conner, or a "Hispanic Male" like Estrada have arrived at similar legal conclusions, using the same legal reasoning and constitutional interpretation, it's simply dismissed.
Or they are said to have sold out their race.
This claim of ethnic identity affecting judicial objectivism is nothing more than a way of disguising and excusing judicial activism.

Claiming Sessions is a racist based on his objections to Sotomeyer's alarming statements and associations is race baiting, inflammatory, and divisive. It's a text-book leftist attack though, attack the person with the ugly charge or racism in an effort to intimidate them, shut them up, or marginalize whatever they are saying.

I also linked to an earlier thread posted here,
I was attempting to SUBTLY make a point. However, you may have missed it during your acidic tirade.
"I, [NAME], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as [TITLE] under the Constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God."

Justice is supposed to be blind.
The Court isn't supposed to make policy.
And the court isn't supposed to make decisions "righting historically perceived wrongs."

Ethnic identity should have no bearing on a judges ruling.
The 2nd Amendment reads the same regardless where you were born or how many Perry Mason episodes you watched.

Ahmadinejohnny said:
Intellectual honesty requires one to see things from other’s perspective, to “walk a mile in their shoes”.
:bowrofl:

You have a long way to go in that area then!:D

I was both speaking to the tone of the piece, the intention of using the tired, and the still powerful tactic used by the left to shout "racist" against a person to drown out whatever valid criticism they might have, and the author's desire to ascribe ethnic characteristics to judicial decisions.

This is also racist tendency of the left.
It's a convenient and dishonest way of dismissing an argument that you don't agree with. According to this argument, and likely jurists like Sotomeyer, the interpretations of law they don't agree with MUST be because the "white male" lens was used.

When it's pointed out that a "black male" like Clarence Thomas, or a "white female" like Sandra Day O'Conner, or a "Hispanic Male" like Estrada have arrived at similar legal conclusions, using the same legal reasoning and constitutional interpretation, it's simply dismissed.
Or they are said to have sold out their race.
This claim of ethnic identity affecting judicial objectivism is nothing more than a way of disguising and excusing judicial activism.

Claiming Sessions is a racist based on his objections to Sotomeyer's alarming statements and associations is race baiting, inflammatory, and divisive. It's a text-book leftist attack though, attack the person with the ugly charge or racism in an effort to intimidate them, shut them up, or marginalize whatever they are saying.

I also linked to an earlier thread posted here,
I was attempting to SUBTLY make a point. However, you may have missed it during your acidic tirade.

Justice is supposed to be blind.
The Court isn't supposed to make policy.
And the court isn't supposed to make decisions "righting historically perceived wrongs."

Ethnic identity should have no bearing on a judges ruling.
The 2nd Amendment reads the same regardless where you were born or how many Perry Mason episodes you watched.

OK, so let me get this straight. Questioning Sessions’ objections to Sotomayor’s public statements that have been proven to have had NO influence her judicial decisions is “race baiting”, but accusing Sotomayor of being a “racist” based on those same statements is NOT “race baiting”? Seems you are applying a double-standard here, Cal.

http://www.allwords.com/word-race+baiting.html

race baiting
noun
1. The act of using racially derisive language, actions, or other forms of communication in order to anger or intimidate or coerce a person or group of people.

Eugene Robinson’s op-ed was NOT inflammatory and race baiting. There is nothing “racially derisive” about the “language, actions or other forms of communication” he used towards any “person or group of people” in that editorial. Also, he never called Sessions a “racist”, he only pointed out his hypocrisy. Sessions’ own words exposes his racism. You can’t blame anyone else for that. You’ve also failed to point to any specific statement in that op-ed that fit the descriptions you used and instead referred to it in general terms, which is “a convenient and dishonest way of dismissing an argument that you don't agree with”. Apparently, by your definition, ANY discussion about race would be categorized as “race baiting”. It is unfortunate that you are incapable of engaging in a constructive discussion about race without resorting to those tired old tactics.

Did Sessions and the GOP have a valid criticism of Sotomayor’s “wise Latina” statement? Sure. The first few questions would be considered reasonable. But her record, if only Sessions and the GOP would’ve actually LOOKED at it since it is the primary thing that is critically relevant about these hearings, should have spoken loudly and positively alleviated any concerns about her judgments being influenced by her ethnic history. But after 3 days of constantly going back to the “wise Latina” statement and beating that dead horse while ignoring her shining judicial record clearly shows Sessions’ and the GOP’s unhealthy preoccupation with race issues and willingness to use race as a bludgeon to dismiss anyone different than themselves.

Since we obviously disagree on this topic, I’ll just leave you with some final thoughts on this Sessions vs. Sotomayor issue:

The Right’s Race-Baiting Assault on Sotomayor

By Ian Millhiser | July 14, 2009
Senator Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III has a long history of questionable statements about race. He once quipped that he “used to think [the KKK] were OK” until he found out some of them were “pot smokers.” He routinely referred to an African-American attorney who worked for him as “boy,” and he once warned that attorney to “be careful what you say to white folks” after Sessions overheard him chastising a white secretary. Today, at Judge Sonia Sotomayor’s confirmation hearing, Sessions wondered aloud how Sotomayor could have voted differently than another judge of “Puerto Rican ancestry.”

So it is very odd that conservatives would choose Sessions as their point person on the Sotomayor nomination. At best this choice is laughably tone deaf. At worst it shows that Senate conservatives wholeheartedly embrace Sessions’ views on race.

It is crystal clear, however, that Sessions is the architect of the conservative strategy against Sotomayor. In a campaign that echoes Lee Atwater’s infamous Willie Horton ad and Jesse Helms’ “white hands” ad, today’s attacks on Sotomayor have focused almost exclusively on race. Nevermind that conservatives have only uncovered one case in Sotomayor’s record, Ricci v. DeStefano, which supposedly supports their claim that Sotomayor is biased against white men. And nevermind that Sotomayor simply followed a 1984 precedent which is nearly identical to Ricci when she decided that case. Apparently conservatives believe the facts must take a backseat to race-baiting.

There is no doubt that the American people will reject this antiquated strategy, just like the Senate rejected Sessions’ nomination to the federal bench in 1986. Twenty-three years later, conservatives are still living in the past.

Sonia Sotomayor Stomps on Senator Sessions
07/15/09
12:00:58 am, by Burr Deming

Sonia Sotomayor Stomps on Senator Sessions
In the film Annie Hall, Woody Allen and Diane Keaton wait in line at the movies. A fellow nearby shows off his knowledge about all things cinematic. Finally, Woody Allen turns and challenges him about Marshall McLuhan. The guy sneers and boasts: "...it just so happens I teach a class at Columbia called 'TV, Media and Culture.' So I think my insights into Mr. McLuhan, well, have a great deal of validity!" So Allen produces McLuhan in person. "I heard what you were saying! You know nothing of my work!" the author tells the blowhard. "How you got to teach a course in anything is totally amazing!"
I'm not the only one who thought of Annie Hall after yesterday's Sotomayor hearings on Capitol Hill. Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama, whose statements about the KKK and the NAACP derailed his own nomination for Federal District Court in 1986, labored hard to discredit Judge Sotomayor. He blasted her for casual remarks years ago that a "wise Latina woman" might be able to discern facts in some cases that might not be apparent to a white male judge. Her observation seems reasonable to many of us.

Sessions fondly recalled a judge nominated by Ronald Reagan about the same time Reagan nominated him, Sessions, for the bench. He cited Judge Miriam Cedarbaum who, he said, "believes that judges must transcend their personal sympathies and prejudices." He contrasted that view with what he derided as Sotomayor's prejudiced disposition. He lectured the nominee, "I believe in Judge Cedarbaum’s formulation."

When Senator Sessions wrapped up his blistering critique, Sotomayor smiled gently. Her friend Miriam Cedarbaum just happened to be there. Sessions was visibly stunned. “We are good friends, and I believe that we both approach judging in the same way, which is looking at the facts of each individual case and applying the law to those facts.” Perhaps the Senator would like to hear from the Judge he admired? For a moment the Senator's greatest regret in life was not being someone else. Judge Miriam Cedarbaum spoke directly to the man who had just praised her judicial conduct:

I don’t believe for a minute that there are any differences in our approach to judging, and her personal predilections have no effect on her approach to judging.

Some Republicans, who initially attacked the nominee a few short weeks ago, are getting wobbly. Old habits die hard, and race baiting has worked before. But many Spanish speaking Americans, including some one time conservatives, are dismayed by the lengths to which GOP nativists have gone in attacking them. Assaulting the first Latino woman to be nominated to the Supreme Court now seems less an opportunity than a danger.

And life, even in a hearing room, does have joyful moments.

Members online

Back